U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,112 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've searched through the threads but can't quite find what I'm looking forward. It's the typical, which towns should we be considering question. We like the usual suspects West Orange, South Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, but want to consider other towns. Summit, Chatham, New Providence, Berkeley are out of our range and class if I'm honest. Union didn't seem the right feel either. We are an interracial couple (black and white) so a place where our son will see enough of both.


STICKY QUESTIONS.

Where are you coming from? Central Jersey by way of Philly and Boston
Why are you moving? to be closer to work
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Me: Midtown West Side. Husband: Parsippany

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? depends on the taxes. But $350-$450
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family, preferably colonials but open if other items check the box. Want an older home, not a flip but with modern conveniences. Looking for a house with potential and space.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes, 1 year old and husband and dog.
Do you need/want good public schools? yup

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): families with young children,safe, diverse

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) commute to midtown, good schools, not on top of my neighbor.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,391 posts, read 7,500,768 times
Reputation: 2229
I think West Orange would be a good fit for you. Towns like South Orange, Maplewood, and Montclair are likely out of your price range.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
4,076 posts, read 6,359,626 times
Reputation: 3205
Wayne
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM
 
2,485 posts, read 4,786,126 times
Reputation: 1528
wayne
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,391 posts, read 7,500,768 times
Reputation: 2229
The OP is looking for diversity. You don't see much of that in Wayne.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM
 
10,515 posts, read 7,886,387 times
Reputation: 13155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The OP is looking for diversity. You don't see much of that in Wayne.
You don't see much of it in many towns meeting the OP's other criteria. I personally would sacrifice diversity for the best schools and safest area that I can get in my price range.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,391 posts, read 7,500,768 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You don't see much of it in many towns meeting the OP's other criteria. I personally would sacrifice diversity for the best schools and safest area that I can get in my price range.
That's why I mentioned West Orange if diversity is important. It's the ideal combination of budget, diversity, safety, and schools.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 07:04 PM
 
3 posts, read 1,112 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks. I hadn't heard of Wayne. WO is our #1 but I was looking for other towns perhaps not in Essex County. Sad that we may have to sacrifice diversity for good schools, but we'd be willing to do it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 PM
 
931 posts, read 2,926,224 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljferry4 View Post
I've searched through the threads but can't quite find what I'm looking forward. It's the typical, which towns should we be considering question. We like the usual suspects West Orange, South Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, but want to consider other towns. Summit, Chatham, New Providence, Berkeley are out of our range and class if I'm honest. Union didn't seem the right feel either. We are an interracial couple (black and white) so a place where our son will see enough of both.


STICKY QUESTIONS.

Where are you coming from? Central Jersey by way of Philly and Boston
Why are you moving? to be closer to work
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Me: Midtown West Side. Husband: Parsippany

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? depends on the taxes. But $350-$450
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family, preferably colonials but open if other items check the box. Want an older home, not a flip but with modern conveniences. Looking for a house with potential and space.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes, 1 year old and husband and dog.
Do you need/want good public schools? yup

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): families with young children,safe, diverse

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) commute to midtown, good schools, not on top of my neighbor.
This is a tough one. Finding a diverse population and/or a good school system in that price range is hard. Is one of you willing to put up with a bad commute to get what you want? Most inner-ring suburbs of NYC will also have that "on top of each other" feeling that you don't want.

Fair Lawn comes to mind as a good choice with mild-moderate diversity, decent schools and reasonably close to NYC and Parsippany. You will also find homes in your price range.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem as an interracial couple in North Jersey. While not much better, socioeconomic status is more important than skin color to a lot of people here. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Busch Boy; 08-09-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,391 posts, read 7,500,768 times
Reputation: 2229
Unfortunately there are very few school districts overall that are both "diverse" and "good".
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top