U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

Hi, totally new to this forum but have read enough to know I need to complete the sticky! So here

Where are you coming from? Near London UK
Why are you moving? Husband has a long term assignment
Where will you be working ? He will be based in Kenilworth but need access to Newark airport

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $5000
What kind of place are you looking for ? 4 bed min, large garden, not too remote, would like neighbours

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Husband plus me and two kids (7 and 4)
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes elementary and pre school

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in Family orientated, safe, friendly, near to parks/open spaces, like the idea of it being close knit so people know each other (coming from a small village in UK)
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Family orientated
Within 30 mins of Kenilworth
Close knit/friendly

We are looking at Westfield and Summit primarily although Summit likely to be out of our budget. Also like the look of scotch plains and Berkeley heights. We have a home funding trip coming up so are there other areas we should consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:02 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,181,663 times
Westfield and Summit are both good choices (and probably the best for your situation). Their prices are about the same, so you shouldn't be priced out of just one. Most people that live in those towns own their homes, so house rentals are limited. Good luck. Just heads up on Kenilworth. The entire town is one big speed trap. So make sure your hubby follows the VERY LOW speed limit there

cheers

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

5,102 posts, read 11,126,555 times
Relatives of mine live there and I've never noticed any more speed enforcement there than most anywhere else in NJ,,,just saying

Old 08-09-2017, 10:21 AM

10,756 posts, read 8,113,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Relatives of mine live there and I've never noticed any more speed enforcement there than most anywhere else in NJ,,,just saying
The Boulevard is a 25 mph zone despite being a long, straight 4 lane road that brings you to Springfield Ave in Westfield and straight into the busy Galloping Hill intersection area in Union. People are tempted to, and often do, go 35 or even more due to the nature of the road, but the speed limit is pretty strictly enforced.

There are houses and a school (or two?) along the Boulevard then Kenilworth's little "downtown" area as well so I guess enforcing the speed limit makes sense, but it's SO tempting to go faster than 25 on such a road. Poorly designed honestly.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,181,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The Boulevard is a 25 mph zone despite being a long, straight 4 lane road that brings you to Springfield Ave in Westfield and straight into the busy Galloping Hill intersection area in Union. People are tempted to, and often do, go 35 or even more due to the nature of the road, but the speed limit is pretty strictly enforced.

There are houses and a school (or two?) along the Boulevard then Kenilworth's little "downtown" area as well so I guess enforcing the speed limit makes sense, but it's SO tempting to go faster than 25 on such a road. Poorly designed honestly.
yup

Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 AM

931 posts, read 2,950,734 times
Look into Cranford and Madison as well! Both great towns with nice downtown areas. Good luck and welcome to the US!

Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM

360 posts, read 406,897 times
Scotch Plains and Fanwood are excellent choices as well. I feel like, at that budget, you should find a decent house in these towns (though, admittedly, there arent a whole lot of rentals that I have seen, outside of apartments)

Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 PM

826 posts, read 622,632 times
Below are some recent related threads that might be helpful. As several people have mentioned, there are not a lot of houses for rent. You might have better luck finding a townhouse.

Moving to NJ from UK

Moving to New Jersey from London UK

Moving from the uk to nj.

UK family relocating to NJ-advice on Chatham/Summit/Millburn/Mendham/Basking Ridge

relocating from UK

England to NJ

Moving to NJ from England

Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 PM

This is a lovely house in an excellent neighborhood in a great town (Maplewood). If I knew you personally, I would urge you to grab this house, but I realize that's not really practical given that you've never even been here. (I'm not a realtor or anything. I'm just a resident of the town and saw the ad while reading the message board.)

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/real...o-orchard-park

Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 PM

A couple more:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...63_rect/13_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...63_rect/13_zm/

And check out this beauty!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...15_rect/13_zm/

Okay, back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey