U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 319 times

Advertisements

Liberty Mutual increased my premium by $1200.00. Neither mysel or my wife have had a ticket or accident in over 30 years. Plus we are both now 65+. One agent said its the fault of the state, another agent said no it's not the state it's just because if statistics. The only statistic that has changed is more African Americans and Hispanics have moved in displacing a percentage of Whites Isn't that Racial Discriminatiom? And is it legal?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 13,988,303 times
I am also 65+, and my insurance premium keeps dropping by a few bucks year-by-year, so there is clearly something else that is impacting your insurance premium, rather than age. And, I have a hard time believing that your personal situation is evidence of "discriminatiom".

Most people should shop-around every few years for better car insurance rates, so if you haven't done that, then you need to do it. And, if you can qualify for NJM insurance, that is probably the best company with which to insure your car(s) and home.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM

20,899 posts, read 25,976,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Mariano View Post
Liberty Mutual increased my premium by $1200.00. Neither mysel or my wife have had a ticket or accident in over 30 years. Plus we are both now 65+. One agent said its the fault of the state, another agent said no it's not the state it's just because if statistics. The only statistic that has changed is more African Americans and Hispanics have moved in displacing a percentage of Whites Isn't that Racial Discriminatiom? And is it legal?
please explain this racial discrimination case further. are you white and think blacks and hispanics are causing your insurance rates to go up>

Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,242,248 times
You may be into an age where people get into more car accidents as well, check up on which statistics in the tables they're looking at, there's a lot more stuff in there than race. Maybe you used to smoke or drink or aren't religious or got a different car type or any of the hundreds of statistics they've plugged in over the past hundred years about people.

You could shop around and find a better rate and let them know and see what they do.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:29 PM

963 posts, read 2,135,121 times
Shop around. I had Allstate for 25 years with a clean driving record. They started raising my rates significantly the last few years I had them, and I decided the rate was too high. Compound that with the fact that I nearly had my car "carnapped" by an unscrupulous tow truck driver affiliated with their roadside (non-)assistance program after my transmission blew on the Garden State Parkway, and that was enough for me. I switched to Geico 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm paying about $500 a year less for better coverage.

As far as discrimination, well, sadly, there may be a possibility that it's a factor to some degree, but how are you going to prove it? All the insurance company has to say is that the people moving in are higher risk due to lower income, lower levels of education, driving older cars, etc. None of those factors would be considered discrimination, as the argument would be that those things can be changed.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM

8,962 posts, read 2,121,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Mariano View Post

Shop around.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 PM

5,102 posts, read 11,129,406 times
I had Liberated Mutilations a few years back and switched when they hiked my premium too much.

Recently I switched to Allstate and they quoted me one figure but as soon as I switched cars the darn thing went up about 50% higher so when I get a chance gonna have to dump them too.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 10,927,959 times
Ditto with NJM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey