U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 AM
 
5 posts, read 1,635 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was thinking of buying some property in downtownish West Orange. The property is absurdly cheap and I feel in the future it will be a bt on the upswing. What do you guys think of the relative safety (crime, walkability) of streets below Harrison avenue, more towards the Orange border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,104,998 times
Reputation: 598
I think there is a reason it is cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 AM
 
288 posts, read 186,454 times
Reputation: 222
I don't think that Downtown West Orange is necessarily particularly bad for crime. I'm not sure I'd invest too heavily expecting anything too exciting to spring up there though. West Orange isn't the most 'downtowny' kind of place - likely because there isn't a train. I'd expect areas near transit to have more of an upswing in the next 5-10 than some area like downtown WO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM
 
910 posts, read 2,895,573 times
Reputation: 311
No offense, but I see so many people on CD recommend West Orange and I honestly don't know why. Personally, I'm not a fan. I think it's too expensive for what you get in return. Some parts of town aren't the greatest either. Different strokes for different folks I guess....

Last edited by Busch Boy; 08-11-2017 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,371 posts, read 7,377,867 times
Reputation: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
No offense, but I see so many people on CD recommend West Orange and I honestly don't know why. Personally, I'm not a fan. I think it's too expensive for what you get in return. Some parts of town aren't the greatest either. Different strokes for different folks I guess....
West Orange is extremely hot right now because it is nestled right between Montclair, South Orange, and Maplewood. People are getting priced out of these towns so WO is the next logical step. When my neighbor sold her house they received 4 offers the first day, and ended up selling the house for 20K over asking price. There is currently a big downtown redevelopment project going on near the Edison museum so I think West Orange will remain on the upswing.

With that said, the area below Harrison Ave. (Watson Ave., High St., etc) - I don't expect that area to be on an upswing anytime soon. Those are generally multi-family homes with lower-income renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 10:47 AM
 
910 posts, read 2,895,573 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
West Orange is extremely hot right now because it is nestled right between Montclair, South Orange, and Maplewood. People are getting priced out of these towns so WO is the next logical step. When my neighbor sold her house they received 4 offers the first day, and ended up selling the house for 20K over asking price. There is currently a big downtown redevelopment project going on near the Edison museum so I think West Orange will remain on the upswing.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for that info.

I've heard people are even buying in the part of Maplewood that borders Irvington. That was a no-go zone a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 PM
 
792 posts, read 574,422 times
Reputation: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I've heard people are even buying in the part of Maplewood that borders Irvington. That was a no-go zone a few years back.
No, it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ
946 posts, read 2,381,071 times
Reputation: 336
I think like other towns -- West Orange has some nice areas, and some that are not so nice. And, both are relative terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top