Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 PM

48 posts, read 84,352 times

Advertisements

I am in contract for a home at the Mirage in Barnegat. I went with an HOA because I stupidly thought they did everything outside only to find out they only mow. And worse, the Bylaws state that I am responsible for everything out there, the maintenance of the retaining wall, the bushes, plants, trees, care of the lawn, seeing/fertilizing, etc., watering, keeping all at a certain height and inches (iyiyiyi) And worse, there is an ugly tree right in front of the home that I will not be allowed to take down and it hides the home. No mention of snow removal either? Does anyone live at the Mirage and can you please tell me if it is as bad as all I am reading? Thank you. At this point, I'm deciding not to get the home after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlyZZ View Post
I am in contract for a home at the Mirage in Barnegat. I went with an HOA because I stupidly thought they did everything outside only to find out they only mow. And worse, the Bylaws state that I am responsible for everything out there, the maintenance of the retaining wall, the bushes, plants, trees, care of the lawn, seeing/fertilizing, etc., watering, keeping all at a certain height and inches (iyiyiyi) And worse, there is an ugly tree right in front of the home that I will not be allowed to take down and it hides the home. No mention of snow removal either? Does anyone live at the Mirage and can you please tell me if it is as bad as all I am reading? Thank you. At this point, I'm deciding not to get the home after all.

Ok thanks for the update. If you change your mind, feel free to create yet another thread about it.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM

414 posts, read 359,278 times
Quote:
I have family that lived there until very recently. They do handle snow removal, although it could be a day or two before being dug out after a very big storm if the home is towards the back of the development. Yes, owners are responsible for landscaping other than mowing (i.e., shrubs, re-seeding the lawn, power washing).

Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Come to Greenbriar Oceanaire just north in Waretown.

$225 monthly HOA pays for mowing and grass maintenance, snow removal including driveways and walkways and our clubhouse is 38,000 sq. ft with a restaurant, indoor/outdoor, 4 table pool room, fitness center, etc.

Plus we have a golf course....fore!!!

We are responsible for shrubs, seeding and flower beds.

Last edited by camaro69; 08-11-2017 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Single family house, townhouse, what?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
You signed the contract BEFORE reading the HOA rules?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:16 AM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You signed the contract BEFORE reading the HOA rules?

Those were my thoughts--exactly.
While documents like Condo Offering Statements and HOA rules are tiresome to read, failure to read them prior to purchase is likely to put a buyer in a situation that he/she later regrets.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:46 AM

48 posts, read 84,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Those were my thoughts--exactly.
While documents like Condo Offering Statements and HOA rules are tiresome to read, failure to read them prior to purchase is likely to put a buyer in a situation that he/she later regrets.
Unfortunately, you cannot get access to HOA By-laws until you sign a contract and it goes to Attorney Review. At that time you can then request a copy and if you do not like what it says, then said contract becomes null & void as the Buyer's right. This is how it was stated by my attorney and agreed to by the Seller.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you cannot get access to HOA By-laws until you sign a contract and it goes to Attorney Review. At that time you can then request a copy and if you do not like what it says, then said contract becomes null & void as the Buyer's right. This is how it was stated by my attorney and agreed to by the Seller.
Agreed as the same in Greenbriar Oceanaire.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Oh ok, if you at least have option to cancel if you don't like the bylaws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey