Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,034,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
Took me three hrs to find my way back to Edison from Liberty State Park. Real scary stuff. Had to go through some very scary looking towns. My GPS did not work.
Nah. It's not too bad.

There's so much gentrification and urban renewal in Newark and Elizabeth that a lot of people go through most of the major through routes. My girlfriend goes through a rough stretch of Newark to get to 280 and I'm not worried at all.

I wouldn't be scared driving through there any time of day. It used to be a lot more of an island.

Living there would be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM

106 posts, read 129,134 times
I drove through a couple of damn scary looking towns going on 1 South. All the businesses were like five feet away from the road. I was trying to get to Edison. I finally stopped at a Verizon store and asked for directions and (to my relief) they said that I was in Edison and my hotel was two minutes away.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,034,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe1972 View Post
I drove through a couple of damn scary looking towns going on 1 South. All the businesses were like five feet away from the road. I was trying to get to Edison. I finally stopped at a Verizon store and asked for directions and (to my relief) they said that I was in Edison and my hotel was two minutes away.
Nah. 1 and 9 is a major, major route.

Nothing to be afraid of whatsoever. I go that way to get to IKEA.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,591,767 times
NJ signs are inconsistent and very little warning and badly placed. Often you see a Newark airport sign point this way and there are 3 lanes splitting. Which way?

What about those do not turn left signs hidden? They are exploited by cops for meal tickets.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:28 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,537,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NJ signs are inconsistent and very little warning and badly placed. Often you see a Newark airport sign point this way and there are 3 lanes splitting. Which way?

What about those do not turn left signs hidden? They are exploited by cops for meal tickets.
Usually on any major highway or state highway you don't even try to or think about making left turns unless its obvious that you can. That's more common sense than any type of exploit.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,017,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I can definitely see how someone who is not from the area will get confused with our old, terrible road system here. No turns on left (jug-handles), exit-only lanes, highways splitting into three directions with poor signage, merging onto highways with no shoulder lanes and having to look behind to do so, etc.
Some major roads that *do* have left U-turns, such as route 22 in Union/Springfield, can be a scary experience when traffic is heavy.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:19 PM

19,064 posts, read 25,209,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Some major roads that *do* have left U-turns, such as route 22 in Union/Springfield, can be a scary experience when traffic is heavy.
...and the folks who drive on the vast majority of NJ highways that do not permit legal left turns are under a constant assault from NYC drivers who stop in the left lane, and are apparently unable to comprehend either English language signage or "universal" signage, both of which clearly prohibit left turns from divided highways in NJ.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,537,804 times
It's all up to YOU. let's say I fly into Dallas and want to drive to Cedar Hill,,, do I expect Texas to put up road signs telling me where I'm going? Duh.

Even if they did, which no one expects, I would still whip out either a roadmap or more likely my cellphone and plug in from and to, and tap the screen.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM

88,271 posts, read 84,241,780 times
I think part of the problem is the OP's perception of what is scary.

I see Route 1 as annoying because of the endless (and necessary) traffic lights, but I don't see how the areas it travels through are "scary".

Old 08-17-2017, 02:37 PM

106 posts, read 129,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think part of the problem is the OP's perception of what is scary.

I see Route 1 as annoying because of the endless (and necessary) traffic lights, but I don't see how the areas it travels through are "scary".
I am OP. Originally born and raised in Oklahoma. Moved to NE Indiana five years ago in a small city which reminds me of Mayberry. So it could have been culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey