Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM

186 posts, read 175,460 times

Advertisements

There are too many unknowns and problems and cost that come with buried Oil Tanks Septic Tanks and Well Water. In the house I live in now I have Direct Vent Natural Gas Furnace Public Water and Sewer and never had a problem. I would think the cost to me is more but way less worry. What is the Pro's and Cons in my thinking? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:10 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Cost vs. worry. I'd say those are your pros and cons, so you pretty much nailed it.

But, some parts of NJ don't have those options, so it's not always up to the homeowner who might not have public sewage in their town or whatever. NJ is a big state.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
There are too many unknowns and problems and cost that come with buried Oil Tanks Septic Tanks and Well Water. In the house I live in now I have Direct Vent Natural Gas Furnace Public Water and Sewer and never had a problem. I would think the cost to me is more but way less worry. What is the Pro's and Cons in my thinking? Thanks
The fact you have gas now is not a guarantee there is no storage tank on the property. When was the house built, and has there ever been oil heat there?

Many people are of the same mind; they'd rather not deal with upkeep & maintenance of a well & septic system. That will limit, to some extent, the towns in which one can choose to live. So long as you know your options in advance, do what you prefer.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:38 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
I share your sentiments, but that's my personal opinion. I know many people that have lived, thrived and survived with septic systems, well water and propane gas and have never known differently. As another poster mentioned, it's not always an option~during our most recent house hunting, we looked at and liked many homes that had either septic, well or propane or electric heat pump or a combination of one of those with public water or natural gas. Like you, I couldn't get past the idea of worrying about "the if's"....

That being said, we had an ice storm that knocked us out for 5 days during Christmas week of 2013. Didn't matter that we had underground/buried lines and were in a modern subdivision and all of the "right" utilities, with newer hook-ups. When the grid goes down, it's not selective.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:02 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^^ I've had problems with utilities, too. When the lights go out because of a failure or a water main breaks, you've got nothing.

I've lived in houses which were heated with coal, heat pump with electric backup, and natural gas. Coal is the only one which never stopped working.

Water and sewer lines can break. Either nothing's coming in or going out. With a good well, I could have at least had water coming out of the faucets. With a septic system, I would have been able to flush.

While public water, sewer, and natural gas are good, they sometimes fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey