Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,529 times

Advertisements

Thx for all the messages -

We will be coming over on April 6th - purpose of the visit is to sell the idea of moving to the USA to my wife!

We are planning the logistics of it all to get an idea of how long it will take etc and what we need to do.

The plan at the moment would be to move over as a family (My Wife, 2 children and I) in July - stay at a company apartment in manhattan for a month whilst we get settled and then move to a small family home for 6 or so months whilst we get settled. This is the point we would ship over one of the horses (it costs approx $12K so we will only be getting the one sent over!!). we will board the horse nearby so we won't need anything other than a good sized garden. At that point we will decide if this is going to be a long term thing in which case we will buy a place and sell up in the UK.

We were looking at Hunterdon County - maybe Clinton as a potential place to check out - is that going to be a long commute....

Where I live in the UK is a 2.5hr commute to my office and it is driving me nuts - so I would be looking for 1hr-1.5hrs as an ideal journey.

Many thanks for all your helo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,430 times
I think Hunterdon Co. would be an ideal place for you to look. We were just there house hunting and the number of horse farms was amazing. Our realtor actually pointed out that a number of horses are trained for the Olympics there. My husband who is from the UK, will be commuting into Newark. We are hoping he can make it into the office in an hour. So I can see your commute time being 1.5 hours. Others here will probably have a more accurate time. It will be less that what you have now. When I lived in England and worked in London, if I did not take the train in and drove the company car, it would sometimes take me 3.5 hours to do 40 miles. That is why I drove as little as possible. Anyway, good luck and best wishes!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
In New York State or NYC? You might want to check out Sussex Co., they would be your best bet to board horses and be relatively close to NY.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Hi Fee,

There are many options within 90 minutes of New York City for horse farms. You will find that the counties to the Southwest of New York, like Hunterdon and Somerset, have many horse farms, but are VERY expensive. As you move farther North, Morris County is beautiful but also extremely expensive. Warren and Sussex counties, on the other hand, are very horse-friendly, become much more affordable, and are quite beautiful. As long as you stay towards the South and/or East you'll be close enough for a 90 minute commute. Then as you move farther North into New York State you hit Orange County, which is also a superb option because it is relatively affordable, really beautiful, and within 90-100 minutes of New York. You might definitely want to drive through Warwick, New York. Sweet little village with beautiful mountains and pastures with lots of horse farms. Goshen is also very horsey, and was once the home of the Hambletonian. The track is still there I believe, although the race has since moved to a larger track. If you have budget limitations, stick to Orange County in New York, or Warren or Sussex Counties in New Jersey. If you have plenty of money and want to hang out with true the true blueblood horsey set, then check out Morris, Hunterdon, and Somerset Counties in New Jersey. Best of luck in visiting and I hope you enjoy your test run.

-Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by feersumgav View Post
Thx for all the messages -

We will be coming over on April 6th - purpose of the visit is to sell the idea of moving to the USA to my wife!

We are planning the logistics of it all to get an idea of how long it will take etc and what we need to do.

The plan at the moment would be to move over as a family (My Wife, 2 children and I) in July - stay at a company apartment in manhattan for a month whilst we get settled and then move to a small family home for 6 or so months whilst we get settled. This is the point we would ship over one of the horses (it costs approx $12K so we will only be getting the one sent over!!). we will board the horse nearby so we won't need anything other than a good sized garden. At that point we will decide if this is going to be a long term thing in which case we will buy a place and sell up in the UK.

We were looking at Hunterdon County - maybe Clinton as a potential place to check out - is that going to be a long commute....

Where I live in the UK is a 2.5hr commute to my office and it is driving me nuts - so I would be looking for 1hr-1.5hrs as an ideal journey.

Many thanks for all your helo

Old 03-30-2008, 12:19 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
I also recommend Hunterdon County. This county is amazingly beautiful. Homes/taxes are expensive if you decide to buy later on, but it's worth it (especially when you compare it to other counties in NJ that charge the same thing for much less land). Land parcels are big and schools are great. It's close to NYC and it's perfect for your horses. If you don't want to drive, there's always the Raritan Valley Line that takes you to Newark Penn (where you then make one switch before arriving in NYC.) You can't go wrong with Hunterdon!

Last edited by Busch Boy; 03-30-2008 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey