U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 PM

963 posts, read 2,135,121 times

Advertisements

I've asked this question a few times before (not recently though)... I'm moving in a month and I have some good condition large furniture I would like to donate, if I can find an organization to come get the stuff. It seems like these organizations are almost non-existent these days.

I've tried Goodwill. They take almost anything, but they don't do pickups in this area.

Salvation Army... They expect you to give them brand new $50,000 couches for free. And then there's the whole "moral code" thing...

Vietnam Veterans - They don't take large furniture.

Tuesday's Children - Ditto.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters - Double Ditto.

Rescue Mission of Trenton - I've called them a few times. They never called back. I guess they don't come up this far North.

Habitat for Humanity ReStore - They've become almost as picky as the Salvation Army. They want you to send pictures of your items... so they can likely reject them.

Goodwill Rescue Mission of Newark - They took a full bedroom set from me in early January 2014, and the guys picking it up told me it would sell immediately... and immediately afterwards, they stopped doing pickups. (Hope it wasn't because of me. )

So, any ideas? I'm reluctant to go the Facebook/Freecycle route, as I've had my share of dealing with cuckoo clocks over the past few weeks selling a few small items. I'm really not too keen on some of these people flapping around my apartment.

Thanks for any updated info or leads. I hate to just throw the stuff out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:30 PM

771 posts, read 468,128 times
Craigslist.

Just use the general area zip code until you find a buyer.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 AM

107 posts, read 139,696 times
Habitat picked us from us without a problem. Our slip-covered couch was in good but not pristine shape and they didn't have an issue with it. They also took a few old chandeliers.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM

20,899 posts, read 25,976,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Craigslist.

Just use the general area zip code until you find a buyer.
just put it on craigslist and say "first to come gets it"

we recently were moving and tried to give away some furniture. its not so simple to find an organization to take it and people make appointments and dont show. then the buyer set up a closing with their bank a week before i expected. so the night before closing i am in the driveway with a chainsaw cutting up furniture to fit in my car. dont waste your effort, just let the first person who can come take it and dont set up an appointment, put it outside.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 13,988,303 times
If the furniture is upholstered, you may have a problem with anyone agreeing to take it as a donation.
Why?
Because of the prevalence of bedbugs nowadays.

I have had pickups of furniture several times over the years from The Rescue Mission of Trenton, but when I wanted to donate a sofa last year, they turned me down because they no longer accept upholstered furniture. And, I have had multiple bad experiences with The Salvation Army's surly slum-rat drivers, so I don't even bother calling them anymore.

It took a while to get rid of that sofa, but a friend asked the cleaning lady at his place of business if she knew anyone who needed a free sofa, and she answered, "Yes...me!". A few days later, her boyfriend came to pick it up, and I was finally rid of my pristine--but ugly--old sofa.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,253,916 times
Craigslist free section. I purchased a new home recently and have been doing renovations, and have been listing things for free. my texts blow up minutes after posting. Be sure to include "you load and drive away" for anything heavy

Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 AM

231 posts, read 211,810 times
If you donate it to goodwill then can you report that donation on your income tax return?

Old 08-22-2017, 10:30 AM

5,704 posts, read 6,295,336 times
Is there a Facebook equivalent of the group Sussex County Treasures for Bergen?

Maybe battered womens shelter for some practical type furniture.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 13,988,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
If you donate it to goodwill then can you report that donation on your income tax return?
Of course!
Last year, I used my donations of clothing, books, picture frames, and various household items to claim a deduction over $400 on my Federal 1040. That was over and above ~$500 of cash donations.

However, be sure to use "conservative" estimates of the value of the goods that you donate, and in the case of the more valuable items, retain a photo for reference--just in case you are ever audited. There are online resources that will tell you how much you can claim for each type of donated goods.

Edited to add:
Be sure to get a receipt from Goodwill. The receipt will be general in nature, stating something like...2 bags of clothing, one bag of books, one bag of household items. Keep your own detailed list of the donated items, and attach it to the receipt.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-22-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM

1,504 posts, read 371,459 times
sometimes church ministries will do pickups. There's one in Millsboro. So much depends on the condition of it, doubt anything older than 5 years will draw much interest. Take pictures of it on your phone. As mentioned, craigslist and free cycle are probably your best bets. There's also Ocean View buy and sell on Facebook, if you're near OV. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey