Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 PM

480 posts, read 480,261 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking here for some time and noticed that the rural parts of New Jersey don't seem to warrant much discussion. In about two weeks we'll be closing on our own little slice of rural Jersey heaven, so I thought I'd start a thread for those of us that live northwest of I-287, south of I-195, or perhaps somewhere in between that is off the beaten path, or at least off of Route 1 I'm hoping this thread will attract other lurkers or those who haven't posted in a long time from high atop a ridge in the Kittatinnies or deep within the cedar bogs of the pines. Some pics of our new place:

We're surrounded by nearly 250 acres of preserved farmland so we'll never have neighbors other than the farmer a 1/4 mile down the lane. We're planning on raising some animals (previous owner had sheep-my wife and girls want chickens, maybe some goats) and the place is crawling with deer and turkey. After years of waking up at 3:00 a.m., driving an hour to a spot, hiking in another 30 minutes, etc...I can't wait to roll out of bed and be in my deer stand in less time then it used to take me to pack my truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Well so much for that idea-apparently Photobucket no longer allows free 3rd party hosting

Old 08-26-2017, 06:06 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I've been lurking here for some time and noticed that the rural parts of New Jersey don't seem to warrant much discussion. In about two weeks we'll be closing on our own little slice of rural Jersey heaven, so I thought I'd start a thread for those of us that live northwest of I-287, south of I-195, or perhaps somewhere in between that is off the beaten path, or at least off of Route 1 I'm hoping this thread will attract other lurkers or those who haven't posted in a long time from high atop a ridge in the Kittatinnies or deep within the cedar bogs of the pines. Some pics of our new place:

We're surrounded by nearly 250 acres of preserved farmland so we'll never have neighbors other than the farmer a 1/4 mile down the lane. We're planning on raising some animals (previous owner had sheep-my wife and girls want chickens, maybe some goats) and the place is crawling with deer and turkey. After years of waking up at 3:00 a.m., driving an hour to a spot, hiking in another 30 minutes, etc...I can't wait to roll out of bed and be in my deer stand in less time then it used to take me to pack my truck

Sorry the pics didn't show. It sounds wonderful. Best wishes in your new home.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:46 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Sorry about the pics. My family lives in Sussex county and we wouldn't trade it for any place in NJ.

Lots of outdoor activities plenty of bars and restaurants and great driving roads.

Love the woods, hills and lakes.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:38 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I hope you can figure out the pictures. I haven't been to Northwestern New Jersey in many years. I used to go there when I lived in Eastern PA.

The Pine Barrens? Not exactly the back of my hand, but I've been to and through a lot of places in that area.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:59 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Very happy for you!

Just want to ask. Do you have an agricultural well? Is the paperwork current? I would have to go to my county extension agent's office to confirm an agricultural well is legal. Paperwork has to be renewed every year. And if you don't have one now find out if you can even drill/maintain one. Do your homework!

Make sure you have what you need. I almost bought a small farm a few years back (also farm land preservation) but no ag well. I passed. I know a lot of farmers who feel an ag well is absolutely necessary. Necessary to farm yourself and may be necessary to rent land. Things change, crops, etc.

Do your homework. Your local extension agent should be able to answer questions. If in doubt find a competent lawyer who does farming legal work.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Sorry about the pics. My family lives in Sussex county and we wouldn't trade it for any place in NJ. Lots of outdoor activities plenty of bars and restaurants and great driving roads. Love the woods, hills and lakes.
It's a shame-I used to love my Photobucket account for posting images, but now you have to pay $500 a year to do so My wife is a Sussex County girl born and raised (we are in Hunterdon now) so this is what she's always wanted. I do wish there were some unrestricted lakes down this way-my wife grew up swimming and boating on Hopatcong, Culver, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I hope you can figure out the pictures. I haven't been to Northwestern New Jersey in many years. I used to go there when I lived in Eastern PA. The Pine Barrens? Not exactly the back of my hand, but I've been to and through a lot of places in that area.
I miss the pines but at least get to go through them on our way to Long Beach Island in the summer. When I was a kid we hunted all over Colliers Mills and Greenwood Forest. Beautiful country but the wife says its too flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Just want to ask. Do you have an agricultural well? Is the paperwork current? I would have to go to my county extension agent's office to confirm an agricultural well is legal. Paperwork has to be renewed every year. And if you don't have one now find out if you can even drill/maintain one. Do your homework!
Just to clarify, we are surrounded by 250 acres of preserved farmland, but we don't own it. It provides a very nice buffer though. The nearest house to my rear property line is nearly a 1/4 mile away. We only have a couple of acres of our own, but we do have an old hand dug well that's about 20' deep with a consistent 6' of water in the bottom. I'm probably going to fit it with an old pitcher pump for watering the animals, etc... Looks like we might be getting goats sooner than we thought-last night at a BBQ we met a family from the farm down the road that raises Nigerian Dwarfs. Their daughter is a classmate of mine so we're looking forward to getting over there and learning more about the breed.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
You can use Imgur for posting pictures. Much better than Photobucket.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:52 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Damn. I thought I was the only person here who had been to Colliers Mills. I used to drive through Greenwood. Did you go to Hidden Lakes? Drive Red Road? Mayo's Half Way? You've never found the the clay headstones.

When I was a kid, we vacationed on LBI. I love that place.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the tip on Imgur

Coming down the lane:

Looking back toward the road:

The back pasture:

The pond:

Quote:
Damn. I thought I was the only person here who had been to Colliers Mills. I used to drive through Greenwood. Did you go to Hidden Lakes? Drive Red Road? Mayo's Half Way? You've never found the the clay headstones.
I've hear of some of the places you talked about, but never been there. I still haven't been on top of Apple Pie Hill or Forked River Mountain, but hope to get there one of these days. Did a lot of small game and deer hunting at Colliers Mills as a kid, and a lot more four wheeling and er..."camping"...there and at Greenwood as a teenager/in my early twenties.

Quote:
When I was a kid, we vacationed on LBI. I love that place.
We spend most of our time on the bay near the inlet and up to Tices Shoal on Island Beach. Some friends of ours have a place on the lagoon in Tuckerton we've been meaning to get down to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey