Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I currently live in queens and the apartment I rented in the two family house is being sold. Since I work right across the street from world trade path train, i'm interested in relocating to NJ. I'm not too familiar with NJ, but looking for some helps in some of the areas.

Where are you coming from? Queens
Why are you moving? Apartment was sold
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Across street WTC Path Train

Will you buy or rent? rent
What is your budget ? 1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? apartment buildings, town house, condos

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in Safe, diverse, good public transportation

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Short commute would love to be at world trade in 30 minutes, will do up to an hour, safe area, diverse neighborhood

Last edited by Qns2NJ; 08-26-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,237,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qns2NJ View Post
Hi All. I currently live in queens and the apartment I rented in the two family house is being sold. Since I work right across the street from world trade path train, i'm interested in relocating to NJ. I'm not too familiar with NJ, but looking for some helps in some of the areas.

Where are you coming from? Queens
Why are you moving? Apartment was sold
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Across street WTC Path Train

Will you buy or rent? rent
What is your budget ? 1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? apartment buildings, town house, condos

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in Safe, diverse, good public transportation

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Short commute would love to be at world trade in 30 minutes, will do up to an hour, safe area, diverse neighborhood
30m door to door WTC commute one way is possible only in two towns which are Jersey City and Hoboken. At 1500 bucks max, you'll need to get a roommate for both JC and Hoboken. If Jersey City, look at Journal Square and Heights.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:42 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,512,298 times
I would go a little further west myself, to me J City and Hobotown are too cityish for me. Head for the hills.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:52 PM

3,611 posts, read 3,860,686 times
Jersey City near the journal square PATH stop. Incredible commute, some larger apartment buildings, dense/walkable, relatively cheap. Downside is it's a physically ugly area. The heights is a nicer neighborhood and where I would live personally with that budget/commute, but the buildings are smaller and commute is a bit longer.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,308 times
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. If I were to increase the commute to 1hr he would it still be just Jersey City. Excuse my ignorance not very familiar with NJ much. Thanks again for any additional recommendations you provide!!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:31 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,599,645 times
Journal Square area of JC is doable for $1,500 and without roommates. Reasonably safe and under 30 minutes to WTC station.

Harrison has plenty of new construction apartments and is safer than JSQ, assuming you can budget a little bit higher than $1,500.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:33 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,512,298 times
In an hour you could possibly be where bears come up to your back door, and not the kind that write tickets lol. Big world out here.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:52 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,224,256 times
Journal Square is a good pick. Very quick commute, diverse, in budget, generally safe (always watch your back in any urban environment). Like someone above mentioned, JSQ isn't going to win beauty awards, but it checks the boxes as a good practical choice.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM

115 posts, read 145,247 times
I agree with the Harrison recommendation.

30minute door-to-door is possible in more than two cities. You can actually live in Harrison (or, Newark--Ironbound section or downtown close to train station).

In Harrison, there are apts. literally next door to the Path Station. Walking from the inside of your apt. to the Path platform is maybe 4 minutes (this involves locking your door, pushing the elevator button, walking out the apt. building and then up the train platform). Assuming you use "Transit app," you know when the train is arriving. So, once you get to the platform, the train ride from Harrison to WTC is 18 minutes (Harrison to JSQ is 9 minutes, JSQ to Grove St. is about 4 minutes, Grove St. to Exchange Place is about 3 minutes, Exchange Place to WTC is about 2 minutes). That's door-to-door in under 30 minutes (22). (This is if you live in the apts. next to the train... I used to live there, so I've done the trip).

From Newark's Ironbound or downtown (depending on where you live), you could ride a bike to the train station in 4 - 5 minutes (walking is more like 14-15 minutes and would take you outside of the 30 minute window). It will probably take 2 - 3 minutes to lock your bike and find a bike spot. You could again, use "Transit App" to time what time the train comes. Go up the platform and still be able to make the 18 minutes train ride to WTC -- again, just under 30 minutes.

I agree, that for Harrison you would need to increase your budget a bit. You may be able to find something in Ironbound (rental out of a private home for that amount). But, I don't think that you could find anything close to the train station in downtown Newark in the price range.

If you do a search in the NJ thread for "Harrison," I previously posted the crime stats for Harrison v. Jersey City. It's definitely much safer. And, Newark's Ironbound/downtown areas are also pretty safe.... they're both still cities though.... meaning that you have to be diligent at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey