Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

My kid moved far away from me. She went to live in China!

Now she's in Albany,, but she will return to China at some point, I'm sure. I might visit, but I'm not going to follow her there!

I stayed in New Jersey because of my mother. She is almost 89.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Times are much different, kids getting out of college and spending their entire career at one company, like our parents & grand parents did is long since gone.

I grew up with my grandmothers, aunts, uncles, cousins very close to us, those days are long since gone too for most of us.

While skype and facetime is great, it is still not the same as up close and personal.

I am fortunate that where ever I live I can afford to book a flight to NJ and visit for a few days. I look at it in the grand scheme of things of if I was right here how often would I actually see them? My kids have their lives, jobs, routines.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 AM

280 posts, read 339,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that has definitely been a thought that we have had. im not really sure which nj university i would want my kids to go to though. id rather they didnt go to nyc.
Uhh Princeton, Rutgers, NJIT, Stevens?? Among others. We have excellent universities in NJ.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:13 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Uhh Princeton, Rutgers, NJIT, Stevens?? Among others. We have excellent universities in NJ.
Other than Princeton, Rutgers, NJIT, Stevens are the only universities with anything close to national reputation. No one outside of NJ knows anything about all other NJ universities.

I disagree that we have excellent universities in NJ. State colleges are one of the most expensive in the country and private universities other than Princeton and Stevens are pretty mediocre, at least in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Other than Princeton, Rutgers, NJIT, Stevens are the only universities with anything close to national reputation. No one outside of NJ knows anything about all other NJ universities.

I disagree that we have excellent universities in NJ. State colleges are one of the most expensive in the country and private universities other than Princeton and Stevens are pretty mediocre, at least in my opinion.
So you are saying Seton Hall is nothing???

Then Rider,Monmouth and Stockton just to name a few.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

Education is what student takes away from it. No one outside of NJ knows anything about our schools imo is because we don't have any NCAA powerhouses, like the SEC for instance.

Last edited by njkate; 09-07-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
There are a lot of good colleges in NJ. If you add in the bordering area of PA, NY and CT, even more

Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Dad you said you wanted me to go to Princeton!
my dad has offered to pay my kids' tuition if they go to princeton. that would be ideal.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
ewww rutgers

Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Education is what student takes away from it. No one outside of NJ knows anything about our schools imo is because we don't have any NCCA powerhouses, like the SEC for instance.
I would rather my kids went to literally any school in NJ instead of Clemson or UGA or any of the SEC schools. Down there football is key, education less so. I know more than my fair share of friends who went to those schools and they did not get their money's worth. But they did enjoy going to college football games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey