Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 14,841 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a condo unit in Edgewater river road and looking for suggestions.

Reason:

1. Closer to city as I work in Midtown and there are buses on River Road that takes directly to Port Authority.
2. Taxes are lower than West New York, Guttenberg, North Bergen etc.
3. Elementary school dist is nice, so will be a demand in future as well.
4. Closer to Shopping areas like TraderJoes, WHoleFoods, Target, BedBath etc.

I like the units at City place in edgewater as they are newer constructions and on top of a hill which is less likely to be flooded when there is a hurricane etc. Do you guys feel it is a good buy?

Questions
1. Are there any nice condo communities in Edgewater worth looking at?
2. What do you think of units in City place?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 PM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriguy84 View Post
I am looking to purchase a condo unit in Edgewater river road and looking for suggestions.

Reason:

1. Closer to city as I work in Midtown and there are buses on River Road that takes directly to Port Authority.

I like the units at City place in edgewater as they are newer constructions and on top of a hill which is less likely to be flooded when there is a hurricane etc. Do you guys feel it is a good buy?

Questions

Thanks
I think City Place is pretty solid. You have the convenience of all the retail which also provides walkability. I believe the floor/ceiling concrete is thick so theres good sound insulation, but not so sure about walls. You do have the EPA superfund site next door which might offset the desirability of the elementary school for any prospective parents of young children, but they have started to clean it up so if you're in it for the long run it may very well be all developed in a couple years. Rumor has it they even want to make a marina with ferry access there.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Quote:

Reason:

Questions

Thanks
Please read and post more info from sticky. What's your budget? What are you looking for? What's the desired commute time?

As much as I'd love to spend 5 min telling you about Edgewater (I lived there for 4+ years). It may be all waste of time if it doesn't meet your criteria... For example, commute time.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times
There are many! Find a qualified, expert realtor, start doing plenty of due diligence on your own, drive through those communities/complexes you can, read, learn...and start looking.

I have friends in City Place...they like it very much, so do many others, and there is a lot going on in that immediate area.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:

Reason:

Questions

Thanks
Just remember, all non-food stores like Target are closed on Sundays in Bergen County but not other counties in NJ. Other than supermarkets, Edgewater in extremely dead on Sunday no malls or Best Buy open.

I wouldn't buy in any big Condo complex unless I inspect because 2 fires with one recent have burned down the entire building. I would not want to lose everything to fires due to bad management and all the cost saving materials these developers use.

These condos are very expensive and pricey fees not to mention property taxes too.

This was the Avalon of Edgewater. This apt complex actually was burnt down and rebuilt then burnt down again.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM

343 posts, read 615,043 times
Quote:

Reason:

Questions

Thanks
Looks like you did some valid research (except the top of the hill no flooding), all those reasons are why we bought at edgewater. However i will not buy at city place specifically because

1) Most of the units are directly on top of the shops which means almost no privacy or need to keep the curtain down all the time, as shoppers walk around downstairs.

2) It's too close to the honeywell site, even though the site is being cleaned up right now and it should not have any health issues, it's still too close for my liking. You want something further away.

3) Despite many walkable shops, only acme supermarket is somewhat walkable, all the other good supermarkets are not a reasonable walk

4) Prices are above average for edgewater so value proposition is just soso. I guess most people just look at the outside without doing proper research that's why the prices are at that level.

5) In term of flooding, that's a risk just like any waterfront property. You should be fine unless we get another one of those 100 year sandy type floods then some of the first floor units will get flooded. Cityplace is on same elevation as all the waterfront, i am not sure why you saying it's on a hill. The elevation gets higher once you cross over to the other side of river road - but that area isnt as good, if you are in edgewater you want to be on the waterfront side.

Just remember location is most important in real estate, true 100 years ago and always be true.

Some specific complex i would recommend ranked in order:

1) Grand cove (google map grand cove way edgewater nj): best location in edgewater, 2 min walk north to wholefood, 5-10 min walk south to trader joe and mistuwa. Bus stop directly outside complex, and ferry to city walkable. Far from the honeywell site. Financial / condo fees are all reasonable. They have 2 communities in this complex - you can get midrise condos, or townhomes, both well built. Towmhomes have steel beam support structure throughout not just a wooden frame like most. Only downside are the units are built in the late 80s/early 90s so some of them are not newly renovated depends on owner. But you can always pay to renovate

2) Independence harbor (google map independence way edgewater nj). good location, walkable to acme/target, and somewhat walkable to mistuwa. Has enough distance from honeywell site, and bus stops directly outside. Condos are all well built concrete constructions with reasonable tax/condo fees. Nice waterfront walkway

3) Admiral's walk condo (google 1055 river road). good location, nyc ferry directly onsite, walkable to wholefood, brand new edgewater park 5 min walk north, highrise condo (only get the units facing away from river road, not facing river road - who wants their view to be constant traffic/noise from river road). Only downside is the condo fees are a bit high in this complex.

Also i would disregard vision33r, he has a tendency to mix everything together without any regard for facts. The building that was burnt down was avalon - which is a rental only building by a bad builder. It doesnt mean all the buildings in edgewater are built the same way, and we are talking about condos not rentals, just like any other place each complex varies in quality and you need to do your research.

Everytime somene asks about purchase in edgewater, he would jump in and use avalon's rental as an example for all buildings in edgewater - never understood why.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Besides parking lots, I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking outdoors in edgewater

Old 09-23-2017, 01:32 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Just remember, all non-food stores like Target are closed on Sundays in Bergen County but not other counties in NJ. Other than supermarkets, Edgewater in extremely dead on Sunday no malls or Best Buy open.

I wouldn't buy in any big Condo complex unless I inspect because 2 fires with one recent have burned down the entire building. I would not want to lose everything to fires due to bad management and all the cost saving materials these developers use.

These condos are very expensive and pricey fees not to mention property taxes too.

This was the Avalon of Edgewater. This apt complex actually was burnt down and rebuilt then burnt down again.
My best friend's grandparents home of 30+ years, burned to the ground during the first fire, back when they were originally under construction back in 2000. When his grandmother told the story, it was really scary. She was in the bathtub, the glass on the windows slowly started to melt and she ran out of the tub, put on a rub and alerted his grandfather, who was in the downstairs bathroom and didn't know what was going on before she did. They grabbed their pet birds that they had and what they were wearing, and had to go out the back door and climbed the wall behind the house, that used to line Undercliff Ave behind the houses.

I'm surprised there were no deaths or serious injuries during that, and everyone escaped their homes safely. We also couldn't believe how the fire didn't somehow set off those Hess tanks and cause armageddon. We were seeing a show at Maxwell's in Hoboken that night. We started hearing stuff about it once we left the club, but it was a lot of disinformation. They made it sound like the entire elementary school was gone and that the fire was about a block north of where it really was. So he had no idea that his grandparents house was gone until we stopped at his parents that night. One of the local news channels, wound up showing flames surrounding the blue stone wall in front of their house. We had already known they were safe and sound by this time, but watching that footage scared the hell out of us.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Besides parking lots, I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking outdoors in edgewater
There's a nice walking path on the river on the south end of town, that opened up in the last decade or so. I've walked it a few times when visiting, and it's usually pretty happening on weekends, especially in the warmer months. Sometimes even on weekdays.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:16 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
There's a nice walking path on the river on the south end of town, that opened up in the last decade or so. I've walked it a few times when visiting, and it's usually pretty happening on weekends, especially in the warmer months. Sometimes even on weekdays.

Where specifically? Are you talking about that pier-like area behind Outback or somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey