Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Newark is scary
unfortunately this is the norm for newark, the ghetto brigade will say things like it isn't unsafe and as long as you're street smart you'll be ok, but the reality is that newark is full of predators and nobody is safe anywhere in newark.
Newark offers little in the way of a decent urban lifestyle and is no place for traditional family living. Why people would consider living there when there are so many better places to live is beyond me.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
But wait a second, Newarks' got NJPAC and Riverfront Stadium and the Prudential Center ... It's got to be getting better right? Right??

The periphery gets ornaments, while the core gets more rotten every day. It's like putting perfume on feces.
Your description fits the Baltimore Inner Harbor paradigm to a "T".

Old 03-17-2008, 08:46 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Your description fits the Baltimore Inner Harbor paradigm to a "T".
OMG!!! I learned about that project through watching "The Wire"!!! It's my favorite show (still pissed that it's gone). And, as you may know, it's all about Baltimore. Which I found out (through watching the show) isn't all that much different in many aspects to Newark.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:51 AM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
OMG!!! I learned about that project through watching "The Wire"!!! It's my favorite show (still pissed that it's gone). And, as you may know, it's all about Baltimore. Which I found out (through watching the show) isn't all that much different in many aspects to Newark.
LOL. So True!!! I actually got a job offer at Johns Hopkins University (in Baltimore) and was on my way to relocate to Baltimore...until I watched the Wire.!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
To the OP, I'm sorry to hear this happen, but this doesn't surprise me. This can happen anywhere. Living in NYC, I know people who were mugged coming to and from the subways (sometimes during the day). I even know people who were jumped in subway stations/trains/ even walking the streets from no reason at all. I'm not just talking the outer Boroughs, but Manhattan as well. The problem is this: What makes people (mostly teenagers) so desperate that they feel they have to take another person's dignity and valuables? I don't think it's a black or white thing, or even a "ghetto" or "suburban" thing; this is something deeper than that.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times
So sorry this happened to you.

You have to be a strong, positive person to take the time to be thankful for the actions of others-most of us would be too focused on being a pi**ed off victim.

Speedy recovery.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM

21 posts, read 53,514 times
Default attacked in Newark

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_paul View Post
First of, I've been living in Newark for 10 years in the Forest Hills area. I've considered this a "safer" place than the rest of Newark, and haven't witnessed problems/violence/theft directly in this area until last friday night when I became a direct hit of some of the violence that has plagued this awful city.

I was walking from the Branchbrook park station on Grafton Avenue at 11pm.

I consider myself relatively street smart, but somethings you just can't plan ahead for. I was jumped from behind by a gang that I swear came out of nowhere. I was beaten under a barrage of punches and kicks to almost every area of my body, but mostly my face and head. I got kicked in the head and required a combination of stitches and staples to hold me in place. Going to have a mean looking scar! I guess I'll look tough from now on...

All that was taken from me was my blackberry and tupperware I had in my bag where I carry my lunch for work. I never carry any valuables with me. Don't even wear jewelry, rings, not even expensive clothes! It's senseless... I would have handed the stuff over, really. Why so much violence???

The reason I'm sharing this experience is mostly to attest to the violence in Newark. It has gotten worse.

I can already hear some of you saying things like 'Why were you walking at 11pm in NEWARK!'. In retrospect, there are a few things I *could* have done. Should I have called a cab, even though I live 3 blocks up from Branchbrook park station? Maybe I could have not come home as late, or I could have maybe walked with someone else... Who knows for sure!

The lesson I learned doesn't have anything to do with "getting more street smart", but a lot to do with "it's time to leave this city". It's time to stop pretending that someday Newark will get better.

It hasn't, it might never. It's worse.

The people that came to my aid after the incident were incredibly helpful and amazing. From the girl that stopped her car to hand me napkins for all the blood I was losing, to the understanding and quick acting police unit, to the Ambulance crew, and the nurses, doctors and staff that treated me at Clara Mass Hospital. I'm grateful for their sympathy, hard work, and professionalism. What amazing people I met that night!
It is so unfortunate that people are so violent and ruthless. Poor parenting and lack of care and concern for others has created a real mess in Newark. Newark still has a long, long way to go before anyone can say that it is better there. They have to clean up the drugs and gangs that have been allowed to fester under the last administation. It's going to be a tough fight.

Hope you're feeling better. Sorry for your terrible encounter.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cniknik View Post
It is so unfortunate that people are so violent and ruthless. Poor parenting and lack of care and concern for others has created a real mess in Newark. Newark still has a long, long way to go before anyone can say that it is better there. They have to clean up the drugs and gangs that have been allowed to fester under the last administation. It's going to be a tough fight.

Hope you're feeling better. Sorry for your terrible encounter.
while the last corrupt administration did little to quell the problems there, you have to realize these problems are in every urban area in the US it is a social and cultural disaster and it took a long time to get to this point and it will take a long time to reverse things. It is sad and potentially dangerous for the rest us. Unless people with backbone step in address the issues these people are dealing with nothing will change.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:50 PM

21 posts, read 53,514 times
Default Attacked in Newark

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
while the last corrupt administration did little to quell the problems there, you have to realize these problems are in every urban area in the US it is a social and cultural disaster and it took a long time to get to this point and it will take a long time to reverse things. It is sad and potentially dangerous for the rest us. Unless people with backbone step in address the issues these people are dealing with nothing will change.

I see that you just come to this site to insight anger and fear instead of opening your mind, but, just in case you're inclined to do so read Malign Neglect by Michael Tonry. You might get some understanding of what created some of the problems in "any urban city" USA and get some answers on how to help solve the problem instead of being so angry. That anger is going to eat you alive.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
No one said anything like this yet:

Are you sitting home recovering thinking about revenge? I sure would be and would stop at nothing to get it. Hopefully you saw some faces. I would be sitting all day and all night in a van hiding in that exact spot waiting for them. I will be well armed and will not be afraid to act.

Dont go writing me saying I will go to jail for killing them. Why would you automaticly be assuming I will get caught? Does anyone think Newark cops will care if a bunch of thugs get killed? Do you really really really think they will investigate it? Dunkin Donuts bakes 4 times a day and the treats would get cold if they took time out to find a bunch of thugs that everyone but their moms wanted dead.

When I was a little boy I barely remember walking the streets of Newark all by myself with no fear. It was more safer then the parking lot of the FBI office. My Mom still talks about it today how beautiful and safe it was. One day when there was a robbery of a little store down the road she packed us up and we moved to Elizabeth. Newark has been falling ever since for the last 40 years.

Damn that place and any fool who feels invincable enough to exist in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey