Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 AM

5 posts, read 11,366 times

Advertisements

They have a lot of amenities it seems. Indoor pool, spa, sauna, gym, a mall. It's almost like a hotel. I've read mixed reviews on it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove90 View Post
They have a lot of amenities it seems. Indoor pool, spa, sauna, gym, a mall. It's almost like a hotel. I've read mixed reviews on it though.
It's immense, 3 huge octagonal towers overlooking the NYC skyline. It is a condominium, and like most large condominiums, a certain proportion of homeowners will eternally *****. The happy ones actually live their lives and enjoy the building. Floor plans are a bit odd due to the shape of the buildings. The area around it is mostly multi-families and apartments, with some rather expensive single family homes near Blvd East. There is bus service right outside the building for commuting. Prices range from $180,000 for a smaller 1 bedroom on a lower floor to $400,000 for a nice 2-3 BR with city views. Occasionally there is a $600,000 penthouse sale. The other issue is the maintenance charges. Very high at around $900-$1,800 depending upon the apartment. Almost as bad as a co-op. The buildings are getting a bit older, so the maintenance charges will always remain high. They also have their own huge parking garage, so that's a plus. Some of the apartments have the indented covered terraces which are lovely. I've appraised about 20 apartments in the Galaxy over the years, and I like the apartments there a lot. But the neighborhood is a bit isolated, you can't really walk to much of anything interesting.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 AM

343 posts, read 614,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelove90 View Post
Galaxy is a prime example of a mega development gone wrong, the buildings have many many problems from design to structure - from badly designed parking lots that take forever to get out, to old pipes/leaks, to insufficient elevators that make people wait 20 mins to get down from high floors.

Their monthly condo fees are also one of the highest in the area.

During the 08-10 bust, 1br was going for <100k and 2br-3br was <250k, people couldnt gave those units away due to the high maintenance cost, i remember realtors were calling me about bundle deals for 2-3 units for 300k. Hindsight could made money if bought, but with the extreme high maintenance/carry cost noone (sane) was crazy enough to buy them during the down cycle.

Now with the high prices, everything is going up including galaxy, but when the tide retreats again during the next bust cycle, they will be left on the beach.

I dont know if any improvements were made to those buildings in the last few years as i havent really followed up, i would proceed with extreme caution.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I looked at a unit there back around 2004. The apartment itself was nice, but as Mark mentioned, due to the shape of the building the apartment had an odd layout with weird angles. It was a 1BR with a Northeast exposure so all you could see was the GWB and not really much else of the NYC skyline. I was not at all impressed with the common areas of the building. The interior hallways were very dark and almost creepy feeling. I had read that the building was supposedly going to be having some major renovations, but I don't know if that ever took place. I also had read that there was some other new construction planned for another building below where Galaxy stands, which was going to block NYC views for many people in the Galaxy towers. Again, I don't know if that ever happened. But if you ever make a purchase based on a "view", this is something you need to be wary of.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:53 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
I miss going to the now closed Galaxy Theaters as a kid and sneaking snacks in. The good ol days.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:30 PM

650 posts, read 774,171 times
So what are good condo buildings to look at? Very few single family for sale now.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:01 PM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,662 times
What's your price range and what size?

Assuming you're looking along the northern Gold Coast...

Grandview II Riverwalk at Port Imperial (WNY)

Regency in Weehawken

City Place in Edgewater

The Dutchess in North Bergen

Cliff House Condos in Cliffside Park

Palisades Point Condos in Cliffside Park

Cliff Lane Condos in Cliffside Park

The Peninsula

Marquis on the Hudson

Legend Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey