Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:02 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You went through the trouble of creating an account just to get this off your chest?
Years ago, people like that would stand on street corners and shout their grievances--be they real or imagined--to the world.
Thanks to the internet, those folks no longer have to brave the elements in order to subject other people to their ranting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:10 AM

596 posts, read 895,552 times
I have lived in NJ for ten years. It's only one person's observation and impression, but I do find more rude people in NJ than other places that I had lived. (I had lived in CT 12 years and IN for 4 years since coming from Japan in 1992.) They don't bother me too much, but when I came here, I was quite surprised to find out there are many racists in NJ. Even on this forum, you can read some of the threads and easily identify racists.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:31 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
I was quite surprised to find out there are many racists in NJ. Even on this forum, you can read some of the threads and easily identify racists.
Back in the 1920s, NJ was actually one of the most active states for the Ku Klux Klan, and for many years there was a church (The Pillar of Fire) in Zarephath that was affiliated with the KKK and that preached white supremacy from its radio station. Here is a link to some information about the racist, anti-Catholic, anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, hateful woman who was the head of that church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma_Bridwell_White

Ironically, under its new name of Zarephath Christian Church, they have done a lot of outreach to the Hispanic community. Then again, their college (Pillar College) appears to be honoring the old, racist Pillar of Fire Church with its name, so perhaps they haven't moved that far away from the precepts of The Pillar of Fire Church.

Additionally, in the late 1930s and early '40s, The German-American Bund--the US arm of Germany's Nazi Party--operated two camps in NJ for the indoctrination of American kids into Nazi ideology. The larger, longer-established one (Camp Nordland) was located in Andover, and for a couple of years there was a smaller one in Griggstown.

Here is a photo of some of the...festivities... at Camp Nordland, in Andover.

I guess that there might just be a person who would refer to those marching Nazis as "very fine people", so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that racists still exist in NJ and in other parts of The US.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
I have lived in NJ for ten years. It's only one person's observation and impression, but I do find more rude people in NJ than other places that I had lived. (I had lived in CT 12 years and IN for 4 years since coming from Japan in 1992.) They don't bother me too much, but when I came here, I was quite surprised to find out there are many racists in NJ. Even on this forum, you can read some of the threads and easily identify racists.
I always find this interesting. CT is very close to us, and is considered part of the Tri-State Area. The NYC influenced area of CT is not much different than the NJ one, and the NYC influenced areas of NY in the metro also aren't much different. How are people in NJ particularly rude, or more so than those in CT?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:10 AM

596 posts, read 895,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I always find this interesting. CT is very close to us, and is considered part of the Tri-State Area. The NYC influenced area of CT is not much different than the NJ one, and the NYC influenced areas of NY in the metro also aren't much different. How are people in NJ particularly rude, or more so than those in CT?
It's just my personal experience and observation, and I have no data to support it. Any public places, I see more people in NJ who are more aggressive / rude than other places that I have spent good amount of time: CT (Central CT), IN and Japan.

But it is also possible that because I'm already under the impression that people in NJ are rude, I notice such behavior more here than I do other places.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
What I like about New Jersey:

Gorgeous state from the suburbs to the hills and forests of the northeast to the Pine Barrens, to the shore. Trees and gardens everywhere.
Good proximity to NYC and Philadelphia.
The Delaware Water Gap and the Appalachian Trail
The defunct "Traction" Park and Great Adventures
The people (well, most of them. Not the jerks and the Nazis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I guess that there might just be a person who would refer to those marching Nazis as "very fine people", so perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that racists still exist in NJ and in other parts of The US.

He called Nazis 'very fine people'? Do you have a source? I think the president saying "Nazis are very fine people." would cause far more domestic strife than we are experiencing. Why aren't Jews and minorities burning the country down if the president actually stated that Nazis are 'fine people'?

<EDIT> OK, I found it.

They didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis. You had some very bad people in that group. You also had some very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group -- excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, of to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.
Source:https://www.vox.com/2017/8/15/161540...harlottesville

So, it appears he said some of the protesters who opposed the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue were 'fine people'. He also said some were 'very bad'.

I think Trump is a disaster and he certainly hasn't done enough to condemn the (rather pathetic, tbh) resurgence in white nationalism, but to say he called Nazis, "fine people" is a bit of a reach. It reminds me of a couple years ago when the conservatives were saying that Obama was a secret Islamic radical. I didn't know that liberals stooped to the same level of slander as conservatives, though.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 10-27-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 12:57 PM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Back in the 1920s, NJ was actually one of the most active states for the Ku Klux Klan, and for many years there was a church (The Pillar of Fire) in Zarephath that was affiliated with the KKK and that preached white supremacy from its radio station. Here is a link to some information about the racist, anti-Catholic, anti-Semitic, anti-immigrant, hateful woman who was the head of that church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma_Bridwell_White

Ironically, under its new name of Zarephath Christian Church, they have done a lot of outreach to the Hispanic community. Then again, their college (Pillar College) appears to be honoring the old, racist Pillar of Fire Church with its name, so perhaps they haven't moved that far away from the precepts of The Pillar of Fire Church.

Additionally, in the late 1930s and early '40s, The German-American Bund--the US arm of Germany's Nazi Party--operated two camps in NJ for the indoctrination of American kids into Nazi ideology. The larger, longer-established one (Camp Nordland) was located in Andover, and for a couple of years there was a smaller one in Griggstown.

Here is a photo of some of the...festivities... at Camp Nordland, in Andover.

Who said nazis are very fine people????????

Last I checked the social justice news alert, everyone with a navel is racist....

Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It reminds me of a couple years ago when the conservatives were saying that Obama was a secret Islamic radical. I didn't know that liberals stooped to the same level of slander as conservatives, though.
In general, yes they do. And both sides use the same excuse for their bad behavior. That the OTHER guy did it first.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In general, yes they do. And both sides use the same excuse for their bad behavior. That the OTHER guy did it first.
No sir. Not liberals. When they go low we go high. 😐

Old 10-27-2017, 04:04 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Last I checked the social justice news alert, everyone with a navel is racist....
Pretty much. As much as I hate to say it, I am.

I wish I had a picture of my father's face when mom told him that I was dating a black guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey