Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 AM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Let’s say Gaudagno IS Christie 2.0 and Murphy IS Corrzine 2.0. Between those two choices, you gotta go with Christie 2.0, don’t you? I mean, as bad as you think Christie was, does anybody really want to go back to 6% property tax increases? New taxes on everything, including GYM memberships? State workers being given guaranteed raises, no matter how much, whenever they asked......er...I mean...”negotiated”?

Murphy seems like he’d be happy to tax the air we breath. And I guarantee you, that it won’t just be “the rich” who get a tax increase. The middle class will be hit too, just like they were with Corzine. I really hope that when people go to vote, they don’t forget just how bad it really was under Corzine.

I wish that we had someone better than BOTH of these candidates, but seeing as how we don’t, you gotta go with the one who will cause the least damage. And I think Murphy will get a lot of votes from people who don’t know anything beyond “Democrat good. Republican bad.” This is NJ after all. But I hope that enough people with brains think this through before they pull the lever.
I'm with you, both are far from impressive but I don't want to go back to another Corzine administration.

Hopefully Murphy won't be boning the head of the public worker's union like Corzine was.

I believe Guadagno will hurt taxpayers the least which isn't saying much but hey, it's NJ. We take what we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:06 AM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That leads to these inevitable questions:
Do you really believe the lies and obfuscations that form the only content of Silent Kim's commercials?
When will she tell us about her own accomplishments (??), rather than playing a tape of a question from Michael Aaron, coupled with Murphy's response to a totally different question?
Out of the two who do you will do the best fiscally for, or do the least damage to, NJ's citizens?

Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
Quote:
Let’s say Gaudagno IS Christie 2.0 and Murphy IS Corrzine 2.0. Between those two choices, you gotta go with Christie 2.0, don’t you? I mean, as bad as you think Christie was, does anybody really want to go back to 6% property tax increases? New taxes on everything, including GYM memberships? State workers being given guaranteed raises, no matter how much, whenever they asked......er...I mean...”negotiated”?

Murphy seems like he’d be happy to tax the air we breath. And I guarantee you, that it won’t just be “the rich” who get a tax increase. The middle class will be hit too, just like they were with Corzine. I really hope that when people go to vote, they don’t forget just how bad it really was under Corzine.

I wish that we had someone better than BOTH of these candidates, but seeing as how we don’t, you gotta go with the one who will cause the least damage. And I think Murphy will get a lot of votes from people who don’t know anything beyond “Democrat good. Republican bad.” This is NJ after all. But I hope that enough people with brains think this through before they pull the lever.

Under Corzine I received no raises but under Christie my pay increased over $12000 so what you said is not exactly true.

I am not a political appointee and I hold the same job title.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:36 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Under Corzine I received no raises but under Christie my pay increased over $12000 so what you said is not exactly true.

I am not a political appointee and I hold the same job title.
Your experience is different than most. For every one of you, I could come up with 10 that will tell me that they did much better under Corzine. Sure, they are making more money now. They didn’t get pay cuts under Christie, with the exception of school superintendents, but the rate of increase was much higher under Corzine.

Listen, I’m a single issue voter. I am pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro marijuana legalization, etc, etc. But I vote Republican because frankly the Democrats are just too expensive.

If you give me a democrat that wants to lower my taxes, or even one who merely doesnt want to raise them, I will vote for them in a heartbeat.

But Corzine was not one, and Murphy is not one. In fact, I dont think they even exist anymore.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 10-05-2017 at 07:16 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Your experience is different than most.
Most of the public is unaware that, under Corzine, a lot of professional positions in state government became contract positions with a low hourly wage (relative to the degree requirement), and no fringe benefits whatsoever.

When I started working for the state in my third career, I wasn't really that concerned about the paltry pay, as I was receiving enough income from my investments and other sources, but I can tell you that a lot of people in those contract positions had a hard time making ends meet on the wages that were being paid by the state to their contract workers.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM

235 posts, read 263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
All of that is true, but his identification in the minds of most people--as a Republican--is going to cause a heap of trouble for GOP candidates in many races, in many states. Even if he isn't really a Republican, he ran on the Republican ticket--with their enthusiastic support--and it will be difficult for the party to run away from those facts when the 2018 and 2020 elections take place.
We can only hope you are right. However, there are several problems with this:

1) House - Severely gerrymandered districts Republicans have a choke hold on.

2) Senate - There are 24 Democratic seats up, but only 8 Republican seats up for election in 2018.

3) Democrats need to come up with a better core message other than "We're not them".

4) The heap of trouble every sane person thought would doom Republicans in 2016 didn't happen. Though things may be a little different now if Republicans have no major legislative achievements in two years.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Listen, I’m a single issue voter. I am pro choice, pro gay marriage, pro marijuana legalization, etc, etc. But I vote Republican because frankly the Democrats are just too expensive.
"I have morals but can be bought." The only problem with your argument is that Republican governorship hasn't been fiscally conservative for years. Well, for the upper 1% certainly, there's plenty of tax cuts, but Kansas has been a total disaster for supply side economics, it's proven time and time again over the past 30 years to not work.

Stop selling out your morals, you're not getting a good return on them.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
"I have morals but can be bought." The only problem with your argument is that Republican governorship hasn't been fiscally conservative for years. Well, for the upper 1% certainly, there's plenty of tax cuts, but Kansas has been a total disaster for supply side economics, it's proven time and time again over the past 30 years to not work.

Stop selling out your morals, you're not getting a good return on them.
This is a problem with a lot of people these days. They think that everyone has to prioritize their values the same way they do. I’m not selling out my morals. My morals tell me that I’m responsible to my wife and children before anyone else. I would be selling out my morals if I voted for someone that wanted to take away what is rightfully theirs. If you have a problem with that, I don’t really care. I sleep great at night.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:20 AM

235 posts, read 263,219 times
Quote:
Let’s say Gaudagno IS Christie 2.0 and Murphy IS Corrzine 2.0. Between those two choices, you gotta go with Christie 2.0, don’t you? I mean, as bad as you think Christie was, does anybody really want to go back to 6% property tax increases?
All I know is that my property taxes go up every year at a pretty consistent rate, regardless of who is in the Governor's Mansion. What did Christie do to help reduce property taxes? That one is easy - NOTHING. All he did was push through income tax reductions for the wealthiest New Jerseyans (his cronies). This reduced revenue and when there was a shortfall, gasoline taxes were the easiest pickins for a shot in the arm. Like all sales taxes, gasoline taxes hurt the poorest people the most.

I wasn't thrilled with Corzine, but I'll take Corzine 2.0 over Christie 2.0 any day!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ to MA View Post
All I know is that my property taxes go up every year at a pretty consistent rate, regardless of who is in the Governor's Mansion. What did Christie do to help reduce property taxes? That one is easy - NOTHING. All he did was push through income tax reductions for the wealthiest New Jerseyans (his cronies). This reduced revenue and when there was a shortfall, gasoline taxes were the easiest pickins for a shot in the arm. Like all sales taxes, gasoline taxes hurt the poorest people the most.

I wasn't thrilled with Corzine, but I'll take Corzine 2.0 over Christie 2.0 any day!
They went up a lot more 8 years ago. Unless you are a senior citizen or disabled person who lost their rebates, the average persons property taxes have gone up at a much slower rate than they did under Corzine. I have noticed a huge difference in my property taxes. I dont want to go back to that.

Keep in mind, this is not a favorable article for Christie, but even they dont dispute that the average persons property tax only rose 2% vs Corzine’s 7%.

Quote:
At a recent town hall in Somerville, Christie said his property tax cap has made the state a more affordable place to live. Property taxes had been rising by about 7 percent a year vs. less than 2 percent under the cap, Christie said — a statement he has frequently made.

That claim, however, does not take into account Christie’s moves to help his budget by cutting and delaying a popular property tax offset. That offset, known as New Jersey’s Homestead Benefit, helps seniors and disabled people with less than $150,000 in annual income and people below 65 with less than $75,000.
I dont believe in property tax rebates anyway, unless everybody gets the same amount.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...0d2_story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey