Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 44,979 times

Advertisements

We need to find a 5+ bedroom home in a family friendly area within reasonable (1hr or less) commuting distance of NYC. Great public schools and/or private school options are a must. Access to reliable public transportation would be a plus. Would love an acre or more of land and places to ride our road bicycles. Any suggestions? Our housing budget will be approximately $1million -- less would be even better. We would also consider places in NY or CT. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
I dunno- there was another poster here recently who said she couldn't find anything meeting those criteria- and her budget was $2 million.......

The hard part is going to be finding a place with that kind of land while staying within your 1-hour commute. You're also going to pay a premium for the land, which is going to leave very little for the house, making 5 bedrooms almost impossible. If you had to give up one or the other- a longer commute or less property- which would you prefer, since I don't see you finding both very easily?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM

13 posts, read 44,979 times
Thanks, Bob. I am new to this forum but I see that you offer valuable advice. Time is more precious to us than real estate so I would prefer that my husband have a shorter commute. We were just hoping to avoid our current situation in which our neighbor's house is almost within spitting distance. Any suggestions that you can offer are much appreciated.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 AM

786 posts, read 2,664,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I dunno- there was another poster here recently who said she couldn't find anything meeting those criteria- and her budget was $2 million.......
Yes, it must be tough having such big budgets! Just imagine what people who only can afford 1-2 bedroom places must be going through! It's hell put there, I tell ya, it's hell!!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
For that amount, check out Maplewood/South Orange, it is right on the Midtown Direct and is an hour door to door. The other place to look is Westfield; but there is not a direct train line, so the commute is a bit longer.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM

127 posts, read 544,358 times
You should try Morris Township. It is a nice, family-oriented suburb of Morristown. The commute to Midtown NYC from Morristown train station is exactly 1 hour. Currently, there are 7 homes in your price range with lot size between 0.5 and 1 acre. If you want a bigger lot, you try Mendham, although it's less affordable. Feel free to contact me if you need any additional info. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,064 times
Default moving to NJ to work in Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgaB View Post
You should try Morris Township. It is a nice, family-oriented suburb of Morristown. The commute to Midtown NYC from Morristown train station is exactly 1 hour. Currently, there are 7 homes in your price range with lot size between 0.5 and 1 acre. If you want a bigger lot, you try Mendham, although it's less affordable. Feel free to contact me if you need any additional info. Good luck!
Hi,

I saw your reply to post about finding a family friendly place in NJ with about 1hr commute to NYC and a budget 1mln. That post was in 2007.

We are moving to NY this summer. My husband will be working in NYC. We also have a budget of about 1mln and we are looking for a family friendly place with good schools. We need 4 bedrooms. Priority are schools and kids programs (I have 2year old) and minimum commute to Manhattan.
I would really appreciate any suggestions

Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Morris Twp., as well as Harding Twp. are good possibilities for the OP but the commute will be longer than an hour. Large lots and some large houses, prices not crazy high.

You can easily find a gorgeous, old five or six bedroom house in Maplewood and South Orange for under a million, but your taxes will be higher, and your lot will likely be 1/4 to 1/3 acre. But your commute will be closer to an hour, a mere 30 minutes on the train, not counting door to door times.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Maplewood/SO is a great place to smart for an easy commute. There are a few homes in the Montrose section of SO that have fairly big lots. It is right near the South Mountain Reservation which has great trails for walking/biking. The downside is the taxes.... but other than that it is a great place to live!

Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM

44 posts, read 178,614 times
You should consider Summit, NJ. There are several private schools in town, Mid town train
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey