U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:27 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,533,979 times

Advertisements

Stew Leonard’s and a movie theatre are taking over the Sears Building at Paramus Park. Great news, but where will I buy Atari 2600 cartridges and rotary telephones now?

MOO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 12:22 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,311,905 times
Hooray!!! Even more traffic on Route 17. In fact we should probably turn this road into a parking lot...

Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,533,979 times
We’re almost there... they’re claiming September 2019, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I can’t wait... best food store ever! I just hope they don’t kill Fairway as they’re finally good again after quite a few years of disaster.

Paramus | Stew Leonard's

Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,020,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
We’re almost there... they’re claiming September 2019, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
In their video on their site the CEO claims they will open "by Halloween."

After living in six different states in all regions of the country and shopping more than a dozen grocery stores including most on the top 10 list, nothing compares to Wegmans... but I am looking forward to checking out Stew Leonards.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 AM
46H

1,057 posts, read 639,621 times
Bergen County now has some of the best quality supermarkets in the country. With the addition of Wegmans, Fairway, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Uncle Giuseppe's, and now Stew Leonard's, the existing supermarkets have been forced to raise their game or been forced out of business. Many of the Inserra Shop Rites in Bergen Cty have finally been upgraded. This is all good news for this area.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:13 AM

58,505 posts, read 56,429,635 times
I guess we have to look up what a "Stew Leonard's" might be...

ETA: OK, another upscale-type supermarket.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 9,508,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Bergen County now has some of the best quality supermarkets in the country. With the addition of Wegmans, Fairway, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Uncle Giuseppe's, and now Stew Leonard's, the existing supermarkets have been forced to raise their game or been forced out of business. Many of the Inserra Shop Rites in Bergen Cty have finally been upgraded. This is all good news for this area.
Ever since Amazon took over Whole Foods I have seen them steadily going downhill. I mostly buy produce there. Just this week there was a carton of completely rotten tomatoes sitting out for sale. I had to search through at least 20 packages of grapes to find one that did not have mold. When I got to the registers, 4 out of the 6 self checkout kiosks were out of order. Meanwhile, Shop Rite, which is less than a mile down the street has completely renovated their store this summer. Everything is fresh and clean and there are 12 brand new self checkout kiosks so no more waiting in line. I never expected to ever be this happy about going to Shop Rite. As an FYI, I'm referring to the Whole Foods and Shop Rite stores in West Orange.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:46 AM

58,505 posts, read 56,429,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Ever since Amazon took over Whole Foods I have seen them steadily going downhill. I mostly buy produce there. Just this week there was a carton of completely rotten tomatoes sitting out for sale. I had to search through at least 20 packages of grapes to find one that did not have mold. When I got to the registers, 4 out of the 6 self checkout kiosks were out of order. Meanwhile, Shop Rite, which is less than a mile down the street has completely renovated their store this summer. Everything is fresh and clean and there are 12 brand new self checkout kiosks so no more waiting in line. I never expected to ever be this happy about going to Shop Rite. As an FYI, I'm referring to the Whole Foods and Shop Rite stores in West Orange.
I, too, now have a beautiful new ShopRite not far from me (Shrewsbury Borough), and I have not felt the need to travel the 20 minutes to Wegman's since. Wegman's biggest attraction to me used to be their mediterranean bar, but then they took it away and sold all the items in little plastic containers on a shelf instead. ShopRite has the same things. It also has freshly cooked food, which is great for people like me who would like a variety of vegetables but aren't going to waste their time cooking four different vegetables just for one person. I can pick up ready-made meals there for a few bucks, too.

My ShopRite has six self-serve registers, I think, but they also seem to hire human cashiers that are on the ball. Our Acme, which the ShopRite put out of business, was poorly run, with most of the cashiers seeming to be special-needs people who had no supervision. I am all for the hiring of "differently-abled" people, don't get me wrong, but there should be someone overseeing the operations for when things go wrong that such employees are not capable of handling.

I haven't been back to my closest Whole Foods (Middletown) since I went there and saw the beautiful manufactured and obviously expensive sign hanging over the supplements aisle that said, 'If you need help with our supplements, ask an associate. They will be happy to give you advise."

I pointed it out to the cashier, who just looked confused and perplexed about what I was saying, lol.

That actually wouldn't have kept me out if I wanted to go there, but it's at least 15 minutes away, and I've got Trader Joe's and now ShopRite, so who needs a Whole Foods where the management apparently can't spell.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,280,776 times
I think most retailers are nuts chasing after the same dollar putting all these retails in the most congested areas in NJ. I avoid Rt 4 and 17, the worst roads in Bergen.

Just wait til the America's Dream Mall opens up and see how the traffic gets.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:20 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,311,905 times
The bad part is that Stew Leonard's is opening on Route 17. That road is a parking lot.

Also, along with the boring and bland American supermarkets, two new ethnic food stores opened in Bergen county fairly recently:
1) H Mart Asian supermarket:
https://www.mybergen.com/hmart-new-s...et-paramus-nj/

2) Gourmanoff Russian/ East European food:
https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ter/952914001/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey