Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to Live?
Hoboken 3 42.86%
New Brunswick 3 42.86%
Other - City in comments 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,675 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've recently moved from Oregon (though originally from the Midwest (OH!)) to New Jersey for a job at Rutgers-New Brunswick. I'm staying with family in South Jersey while I figure things out, but it's taking me longer than expected to find an apartment. Mainly because I'm torn between living in Hoboken or living closer to New Brunswick. Here's my dilemma and where I'm hoping the community might be able to help:

I'm in my late-20's and own a car. I'm hoping to keep rent under $1200 (though $1k is ideal). So either place, I'll be living with roommates. My sister lives in Hoboken and I lived there briefly for a summer and fell in love with it. But, the commute! I'm worried that the benefits of living in Hoboken (being close to a decent nightlife, being around people my age, and being able to walk everywhere) won't outweigh the commute.

I've driven it a few times now (I tend to stay at my sister's on the weekend) and the morning commute isn't too bad until I hit RT 18, but the evening commute seems to be super congested after the toll off exit 14 from the NJ Turnpike (maybe I'm doing it wrong -- any suggestions super appreciated!). Plus, the cost of tolls seem to be about $250 a month, which I'm trying to keep in mind when looking at places around Hoboken.

I definitely feel like I can get more bang for my buck around New Brunswick, but I worry that I'll be sacrificing nightlife, walkability, etc. for a nicer apartment and closer commute.

To throw another wrench in things, I'm looking to take advantage of the tuition remissions for Rutgers employees and finally go to law school part-time in Newark (it's been a dream of mine to go to law school, but I couldn't stomach the cost). So, hopefully, starting next year after work 3 or 4 days a week, I'll be heading to Newark for law classes until about 8 or 9 PM.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts or any other suggestions for a (relatively) young single person who doesn't want to sacrifice a decent nightlife but has to live in NJ for work reasons. Who's also worried about driving around for an hour looking for parking in Hoboken.

Ideally, I'd like to find an apartment that's on the nicer side with hardwood floors, central air/heat, and washer/dryer in the apt.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:08 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
It might be easier to commute via train from Hoboken Terminal and transfer at Secaucus. NJ Transit shows the trip running about 70 minutes each way with monthly cost at $393. Your employer may offer access to commuter programs that allow you to assign payroll money to transit expenses pre-tax, this somewhat lowers the cost burden. Rutgers campus in Newark is not far from the PATH/train station.

The cost of tolls/gas/insurance won't be cheap. It might be worthwhile to sell the car and sign up for ride share companies when you need a car.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:23 AM

280 posts, read 338,884 times
Lots to consider in your post. I've lived in both NB and Hoboken though so I think I can help you. What are your work hours? That is important for commute.

You'll definitely save $ living in NB. There are nice apartments, and I'd recommend getting a roommate around your age and similar work situation that way you'll have a little more mature nightlife. There are definitely nightlife options for later 20's, just stay away from the college bars on Easton Ave and stick more to downtown George St (Clydz, Old Bay, etc). You'll still have some college kids there but not as many.

Hoboken... I loved Hoboken. Much more than NB. I had a car there too and that part was a pain. If you're getting out of work after 430pm you may be driving around looking for a spot for a while, or you may pay $200/month for a parking spot. Depends where you live in Hoboken too, the further from the PATH the easier it gets. Since you're driving and not taking the PATH to work I would live on higher/further streets like 7th and Adams or something. It'll be easier and still walkable to downtown. You'll definitely need a roommate, if not 2 or 3. The lifestyle is much nicer than NB - loved running along the waterfront with NYC skyline views on weekend mornings. Nightlife is a young professional crowd, and you have the PATH to NYC which makes it really easy. And for your future law school plans Newark is connected to the PATH too.

I think if you can work it into your budget I would do it just for the experience. It's not the smartest thing to do but it will be a lot more fun and enhance your life experiences. There's really almost nothing else like it (great walkable city, next to arguably greatest city in the world) and you likely won't have this opportunity again.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:10 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
It might be easier to commute via train from Hoboken Terminal and transfer at Secaucus. NJ Transit shows the trip running about 70 minutes each way with monthly cost at $393. Your employer may offer access to commuter programs that allow you to assign payroll money to transit expenses pre-tax, this somewhat lowers the cost burden. Rutgers campus in Newark is not far from the PATH/train station.

The cost of tolls/gas/insurance won't be cheap. It might be worthwhile to sell the car and sign up for ride share companies when you need a car.
You could do this.

Another option would be to take Hoboken to Newark Penn and then transfer.

Keep in mind that the reason most people want to live in Hoboken is because of the short ride into the city, either for work or for play.

If you mainly want to move to Hoboken for Hoboken, then I might consider Morristown. The scene is quite similar and you'd get to keep your car and the commute to New Brunswick would be doable.

That said, I lived in Jersey City and reverse commuted into the Morris County suburbs and it was totally worth it. But again, I was mostly living in JC to hang out in the city. I was living paycheck to paycheck during that period, but no regrets at all.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Live in NB work go to Law school then move to the city when your a rich lawyer. Bypass ameture hour in Hoboken.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Wherever you chose to live. Drive the commute you would take during rush hour. Northern New Jersey Traffic is the absolute worst during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey