Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
A private company does not have the right to tell employees what they can do when they are off the clock. Unless that activity is illegal. Marijuana will still be illegal under federal law regardless of what NJ does.
A company in an at-will employment state (yes NJ too) can fire an employee for any reason (or no reason) as long as it doesn't violate labor laws. There have been cases that an employees have been terminated for things they do off hours; ex. protesting/marching in political events and were caught in social media.

It is important to keep your social media persona separate from work.

I would surmise that the same can be applied to Marijuana. If the employer insists on non-marijuana consuming employees and requires drug tests to prove it, then I think it is their right. I say this as someone who would support legalization of Marijuana. I know CDL drivers who completely abstain from alcohol consumption to avoid any risk to their lively hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:27 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I wonder if truck drivers, cops, doctors, teachers, etc can smoke the ganja. Love to see a cop driving up to an accident scene blowing a bone.
The truck driver falls under DOT so he would be terminated for testing positive for marijuana. Wether or not he was using during work would be inconsequential.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 AM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Back in the late '70s my weed smoking brother stopped completely when he was going to apply for a job with the power company and would be getting a CDL.

Hasn't touched it since but says he may try it after he retires in a few years.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:14 PM

7,340 posts, read 3,514,319 times
So we are already mid-year and still no closer to legalized marijuana. Been waiting since Murphy was elected I'm Nov 2017. as predicted New Jersey can't do anything

Old 06-22-2021, 01:56 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
If marijuana is legalized in NJ how will employment with companies (ex HD Lowes Costco) effect there drug test policies. Believe or not I have never did a drug in my life even though I was a teenager is the 70's. Will it change how they look at drug testing results ? How does this workout with someone who is at work as is under the influence of Marijuana? I am just curious how this works out?
Thanks
Nothing changes, .If I drank at home last night I can't go to work drunk or under the influence , weed the same thing. Each company can make their own rules up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey