Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,939,002 times

Advertisements

Someone better give all the New Yorkers (aka Midwetsenrers who moved to Brooklyn for 5 years and say they're from NY) moving to my northern NJ town the memo that apparently NJ sucks. We're being taken over. New York plates everywhere. SOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 12:55 AM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Someone better give all the New Yorkers (aka Midwetsenrers who moved to Brooklyn for 5 years and say they're from NY) moving to my northern NJ town the memo that apparently NJ sucks. We're being taken over. New York plates everywhere. SOS.
Oh, midwesterners. They just don't compute. I'm not talking about the people who are literate, intelligent, educated. We just don't seem to mesh in person. I get along many people online, but we herd by personality type, interests, plights. Face to face, it doesn't always work.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:07 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,292,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
One potential disadvantage of Pennsylvania is the inheritance tax---no tax to surviving spouses but 4.5 percent of assets on transfers to direct descendants and lineal heirs--and higher percentages for more distant relatives.

Inheritance Tax

Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income. AT ALL. And also property taxes are SIGNIFICANTLY lower. And quality of life is extremely high, especially in places like Southeast Pennsylvania. There is a reason PA is the #1 Net Migration State for people from NJ. I have a good friend of mine moving from South Jersey to Southeast Pennsylvania. They will be saving $300,000 in property taxes in 10 years by making the move. And they moved to a highly desirable community with more amenities than their town in S. NJ offered.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:30 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,586,711 times
Ashville NC ,once the Mrs retires.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income. AT ALL. And also property taxes are SIGNIFICANTLY lower. And quality of life is extremely high, especially in places like Southeast Pennsylvania. There is a reason PA is the #1 Net Migration State for people from NJ. I have a good friend of mine moving from South Jersey to Southeast Pennsylvania. They will be saving $300,000 in property taxes in 10 years by making the move. And they moved to a highly desirable community with more amenities than their town in S. NJ offered.
The taxes are all over the place. Most places are cheap or reasonable, but then there are anomalies like Monroe County. Yikes. New Jersey type taxes in Pennsylvania.

My mother paid at least $3,000 in taxes in Wilkes-Barre. She lived in a small, old house on a small property. If she'd lived in a 3, 2 1/2 on a quarter acre, she would have been paying NJ taxes.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,292,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The taxes are all over the place. Most places are cheap or reasonable, but then there are anomalies like Monroe County. Yikes. New Jersey type taxes in Pennsylvania.

My mother paid at least $3,000 in taxes in Wilkes-Barre. She lived in a small, old house on a small property. If she'd lived in a 3, 2 1/2 on a quarter acre, she would have been paying NJ taxes.

NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation. As it was mentioned in this forum; And I agree, PA property taxes are FAR from perfect. But PA is the #1 out migration state from NJ. Southeast PA which is extremely desirable and can rival North New Jersey in terms of wealth/quality of life. Has far lower taxes. So much so that a personal friend of mine is legit saving $300k over 10 years in property taxes. I mean 300k over 10 years. It is just INSANE. (And again this friend moved to a very desirable place in SEPA).

How high property taxes are in NJ overall TBH. Again I have another friend who's home value is about 375k and they pay $13,000 a year in property taxes. 375k is a modest home value LBH. $13,000 a year is INSANE. and they are looking to move sooner than later.

I love the Jersey Shore. But NJ has a property tax epidemic. I hope it can be resolved.

To anyone from NJ looking to relocate. I highly recommend Southeast PA. It is in the top #10 best places to retire in the USA. For a multitude of reasons. Walkability. Transit. Quality of life. Cost of living. Lower taxes. No Tax retirement. (just my 2 cents.)

Old 12-14-2017, 08:09 PM

88,298 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Many ,many people are doing the same thing.For me Winter is fine as long as I am retired and don't have to go to work.
Right now I'm still here, and as long as my mother is alive I will be in New Jersey, but if I go in the future, I will be going colder/north.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Right now I'm still here, and as long as my mother is alive I will be in New Jersey, but if I go in the future, I will be going colder/north.
The great frozen north? Where?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:38 AM

20,263 posts, read 19,850,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wanted to check out NH or VT for a couple of years but their winters are a bit much for my wife.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 AM

88,298 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The great frozen north? Where?
Possibly Vermont. Possibly upstate NY. Possibly somewhere else even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey