Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times

Advertisements

You know, I was just wondering, with all the talk about property taxes, budget cuts, cost of living and mass exodus from NJ, Why are we contemplating leaving? Shouldn't we stay and fight for our rights to live where we do? We, as voters have the choice to elect NEW officials that will work for the PEOPLE, I'm tired of politics as usual, I may not agree with the budget cuts that Corzine is proposing, especially since a lot of small towns will be affected tremendously by the aid cuts, and altough unpopular it's the right course of action, we're mortgaging our futures and the futures of our children if we don't change our spending, simply put we can't keep on spending money we don't have, think about it, that's what's happening in the housing market. I urge my fellow citizens to vote and have your opinion count. I personally love our state of NJ, no other state offers you so much diversity and options, not only do we have suburbian living with open spaces but we also have NYC to the north, philly to central jersey and Baltimore to the south. I know it's qute popular at the moment to bash our state, but let me tell you, no where else will you find so many different types of cultures, do you think they celebrate St. Patty's day like we do around here let's say in Mississippi? or how about the feast of St. Genaro? I never heard of it been celebrated in Kentucky either.

Perhaps is the rainy day that has me pissed off at the moment, but hey, is jersey after all and we have an attitude so they say, all I can say in return is..."hey, you got a problem with that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
I'm mulling over the same questions today as well. Moving south may be cheaper but will I be happy down there? I love NJ... the people, the traditions, etc. But how can we get our point across to the politicians other than by voting - which doesn't really do too much because they promise one thing then do the other? Start a petition?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I'm mulling over the same questions today as well. Moving south may be cheaper but will I be happy down there? I love NJ... the people, the traditions, etc. But how can we get our point across to the politicians other than by voting - which doesn't really do too much because they promise one thing then do the other? Start a petition?

it's a stressful situation constantly thinking about "is this the right decision?" I have family that already moved to SC and altough the cost of living is less down there, it's not the same. I don't mind grits for breakfast but I still like my toasted bagel w/ cream cheese or a nice slice of pizza....and I don't mean Pizza Hut or Domino's either. and I'm sure the local county fairs are nice down there, but I still like to go into the city and catch a show or go to a game at yankee's stadium against the Red Sucks. I know Friday night lights is a big thing down south but I left high school back in the 80's. As far as voting, I'm going to vote for change and if it doesn't change in the next 4 years, I'll vote again until I get the change that I want.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Vote? You mean by using those fixed Diebold machines? Why isnt Al Gore President and not GWB? Voting is fixed as well. Voting wont change a thing. Sorry to say, but there are nicer places than NJ..

Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Vote? You mean by using those fixed Diebold machines? Why isnt Al Gore President and not GWB? Voting is fixed as well. Voting wont change a thing. Sorry to say, but there are nicer places than NJ..

Nicer than jersey? state your argument and name 1

Old 03-19-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Good point - Al should be president but we would probably be knocking him around at the moment as well : ) Sure there are nicer places but this is my home! I shouldn't feel like I have to leave because I can't afford to stay here any longer. They need to come out with some incentives to keep people in NJ. The "exit tax" that folks are talking about in that other thread..what's that all about? 1% of the sale price - that's one hell of a toll! How about giving people back 1% of their homes value for staying?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I have NO plans on ever leaving here entirely.

Maybe a nice little condo somewhere down south for the WINTER after we retire.
But I'm also mulling renting in the winter that way I won't be locked into the same place every year.

I enjoy living in the same community for years...I like when I go to the bank, pharmacy et al they know me by name

With the exception of 1 brother who lives in Colorado and 1 son who lives in godforsaken Atlanta all my family & my husbands family are here

Just plan on down sizing as we don't need the house we have been in for decades..kids are out on their own.

Sure I hate the taxes BUT all these people that are fleeing south sooner or later they are going to have to raise taxes down there as well..the more services needed the more taxes needed...it finally happened in FL....maybe not to the degree here but it isn't cheap living in Fl any more.

I LOVE JERSEY!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Good point - Al should be president but we would probably be knocking him around at the moment as well : ) Sure there are nicer places but this is my home! I shouldn't feel like I have to leave because I can't afford to stay here any longer. They need to come out with some incentives to keep people in NJ. The "exit tax" that folks are talking about in that other thread..what's that all about? 1% of the sale price - that's one hell of a toll! How about giving people back 1% of their homes value for staying?
There is no exit tax, that's a realty transfer tax..I believe Old Mr Kovacs explained that if your fowarding address is out of state they hold a little more so as not to have to chase you down but you get it back at tax time..the little bit extra they with held.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
You know, I was just wondering, with all the talk about property taxes, budget cuts, cost of living and mass exodus from NJ, Why are we contemplating leaving? Shouldn't we stay and fight for our rights to live where we do? We, as voters have the choice to elect NEW officials that will work for the PEOPLE, I'm tired of politics as usual, I may not agree with the budget cuts that Corzine is proposing, especially since a lot of small towns will be affected tremendously by the aid cuts, and altough unpopular it's the right course of action, we're mortgaging our futures and the futures of our children if we don't change our spending, simply put we can't keep on spending money we don't have, think about it, that's what's happening in the housing market. I urge my fellow citizens to vote and have your opinion count. I personally love our state of NJ, no other state offers you so much diversity and options, not only do we have suburbian living with open spaces but we also have NYC to the north, philly to central jersey and Baltimore to the south. I know it's qute popular at the moment to bash our state, but let me tell you, no where else will you find so many different types of cultures, do you think they celebrate St. Patty's day like we do around here let's say in Mississippi? or how about the feast of St. Genaro? I never heard of it been celebrated in Kentucky either.

Perhaps is the rainy day that has me pissed off at the moment, but hey, is jersey after all and we have an attitude so they say, all I can say in return is..."hey, you got a problem with that?"
I really wish more people thought like you when we were still living in New Jersey! I tried to "do" something, to mobilize people, but many "talked the talk", but didn't "walk the walk"!
Too bad...I really liked New Jersey.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There is no exit tax, that's a realty transfer tax..I believe Old Mr Kovacs explained that if your fowarding address is out of state they hold a little more so as not to have to chase you down but you get it back at tax time..the little bit extra they with held.
Do they give you interest : ))) It is a shame that it has gotten to be so expensive to live here. Years ago you just sold and moved west to get a cheaper home now it's South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey