U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,815 posts, read 15,125,686 times
Reputation: 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Aren't we #1 in property taxes and auto insurance?

That's something to cheer about.
As much as I hate the taxes it's all relative..we also have a much higher median wage in NJ

It's still a struggle to make the mortgage & taxes in that $150K house when you're only making $30K-$40K a year
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
EB2
 
Location: Florida
1,923 posts, read 3,788,864 times
Reputation: 985
You mean to say that it's not a giant crime and pollution ridden state that consists of ALL asphalt, and if you even think about unlocking your door, the terrible fumes will come through the cracks and suffocate you, AND someone will somehow shoot a bullet through your door!?!? (not to mention those shopping carts!)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,184,913 times
Reputation: 3329
Not surprising that the biggest "nanny states" got the highest ratings. Did anyone go the the actual report at Parents Magazine to see how they arrived at their ratings? The states that regulate how old you have to be before you're allowed to cross the street without holding Mommy or Daddy's hand scored the highest...........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,184,913 times
Reputation: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
As much as I hate the taxes it's all relative..we also have a much higher median wage in NJ

It's still a struggle to make the mortgage & taxes in that $150K house when you're only making $30K-$40K a year
Is your son in law down in GA only making $30-40k/year? I know I'm sure doing far better than that......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,815 posts, read 15,125,686 times
Reputation: 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Is your son in law down in GA only making $30-40k/year? I know I'm sure doing far better than that......
We are talking averages here
I've read horror stories on people pulling up roots and not being able to make it and can't afford to come home
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 11,164,796 times
Reputation: 6174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Not surprising that the biggest "nanny states" got the highest ratings. Did anyone go the the actual report at Parents Magazine to see how they arrived at their ratings? The states that regulate how old you have to be before you're allowed to cross the street without holding Mommy or Daddy's hand scored the highest...........
Wow Bob, you just wrote what I thought. The states that favor safety over freedom, liberty and individual choice are those who are going to score the highest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 PM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,815 posts, read 15,125,686 times
Reputation: 6602
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Not surprising that the biggest "nanny states" got the highest ratings. Did anyone go the the actual report at Parents Magazine to see how they arrived at their ratings? The states that regulate how old you have to be before you're allowed to cross the street without holding Mommy or Daddy's hand scored the highest...........
I was waiting for the dragon to rear his head

Do you have anything at all positive to say about NJ..just a wee bit
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 11,164,796 times
Reputation: 6174
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I was waiting for the dragon to rear his head

Do you have anything at all positive to say about NJ..just a wee bit
I think I know the perspective Bob is coming from. Speaking for myself, I love the people of the state of NJ, the culture, etc, in that respect, it's my home. The highest quality people, food, etc, that remains. What I really despise is Trenton,the people who make their living there, and who have proceeded to incrementally implement a system of government that threw the average guy overboard 30 years ago. That will forever remain my greatest gripe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,815 posts, read 15,125,686 times
Reputation: 6602
The Bench Marks:

The 10 Safest States for Kids: How We Ranked Them: Our Sources (http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jsp?page=4&storyid=/templatedata/parents/story/data/1204304486908.xml - broken link)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Ocean County
3,776 posts, read 5,879,423 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think I know the perspective Bob is coming from. Speaking for myself, I love the people of the state of NJ, the culture, etc, in that respect, it's my home. The highest quality people, food, etc, that remains. What I really despise is Trenton,the people who make their living there, and who have proceeded to incrementally implement a system of government that threw the average guy overboard 30 years ago. That will forever remain my greatest gripe.
But give credit once in awhile when it's due. Due to over regulations, if it makes it safe for my kids, I'll take it anyday rather than a state that lets it's citizens due anything they want that contributes to the unsafety for others. I'll name one. No inspections on cars.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top