Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM

11 posts, read 39,365 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 28 years old working professional. Will be starting a new job in NYC this September and is looking for some advice on where to live in NJ. I have heard that commuting from Jersey City to NYC is very convienent, but I don't know where are the good areas to live in Jersey City. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1. Renting, not buying
2. Will be working at Time Square, NYC
3. Living alone, with occasional visits from family
4. Budget is about $1200 to $1800 for a 1 bedroom
5. Prefer newer buildings with low maintenance
6. Must have a parking spot (inside the building or nearby)
7. Mostly looking for a "safe" area (low crime rate) b/c I do work late (past 12) on weekdays. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 05:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
I'm not sure whether you'll get your parking place without paying extra, since many people don't have/need cars. Remember, insurance for cars in NJ is exhorbitant. And since you'll be commuting (by mass transit, I assume) to TIMES Square, I'm not sure why you need the car.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times
well she has a car and I doubt she's going to get rid of it. A car is a nice thing to have : )

If no one can help you with good sections of Jersey City, the best way to find out is to drive thru it yourself. Will you be visiting before you move? Why don't you check out Bayonne, North Bergen, Secaucus, and the towns inbetween (up to Fort Lee)? Nutley is nice, but maybe too far away? You will have to compare the rents in these towns. The lower the rent, the worse the area.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
Yes, cars are nice to have. But many people prefer to save the money and rent a car when it's needed.

Honestly, if everyone had everything that'd be 'nice to have,' there'd be nothing toward which to strive. But it seems that everyone DOES have everything. No wonder everyone has credit card debt and no savings.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 AM

16 posts, read 112,707 times
I too am doing the same as the OP, moving to JC and commuting to Manhattan. I spent a week looking for property, and the only building I found with decent rent ~1800 for a 1 bed is the Beacon. Now I drove all around the area while I was there, and wasn't particularly impressed, however the building and the units are beautiful, parking is included if you lease directly through the sales office, and the amenities cannot be beat.

I would not recommend this place if you had to walk, however they offer a free shuttle to the path til 10:00pm, and a private car service after that, all included in the rent.

Check out The Beacon. It's worth a look at least. You would find private rentals in your price range, but after driving around jc, I wouldn't recommend anything other that a building for security reasons.

And before anyone mouths off, I do not work for the Beacon, only giving an honest opinion having seen what is on offer in the area.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Default thanks and still looking for advice

Hi I am the OP. Thanks for all your reply. The reason I need a parking space is b/c I just bought a car (not knowing I would be relocating) and the re-sale price on it is just too low.

I saw a pretty nice place on rent.com at 148 Bramhall Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07305. Is this a good area? Does the Bergen-Hudson Light Rail connects directly to the PATH? Can someone give me an estimate on how long the commute will be from here to Time Sqaure?

Still looking for areas of suggestion. Hoboken? Edgewater? Journal Square? Thanks a bunch!!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Hi Thanks! I checked out the website but is for purchase only? Do you know where I can find private listings for this building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncampbell View Post
I too am doing the same as the OP, moving to JC and commuting to Manhattan. I spent a week looking for property, and the only building I found with decent rent ~1800 for a 1 bed is the Beacon. Now I drove all around the area while I was there, and wasn't particularly impressed, however the building and the units are beautiful, parking is included if you lease directly through the sales office, and the amenities cannot be beat.

I would not recommend this place if you had to walk, however they offer a free shuttle to the path til 10:00pm, and a private car service after that, all included in the rent.

Check out The Beacon. It's worth a look at least. You would find private rentals in your price range, but after driving around jc, I wouldn't recommend anything other that a building for security reasons.

And before anyone mouths off, I do not work for the Beacon, only giving an honest opinion having seen what is on offer in the area.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:32 AM

16 posts, read 112,707 times
Hi shoortie,

You can find private listings on craigslist, mostly listings throught realtors for rent, however we rented directly through the sales office, which is the phone number on the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey