Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 63,130 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm in the process of buying my first home (in Maplewood) and am currently in attorney review. The house has been converted from oil to gas heat, but apparently the oil tank is under the basement (not in the basement) and hasn't been removed. It has been decommissioned, and I am awaiting documentation. I know it was filled with sand. On the disclosure, the seller said documentation will be provided, but checked "NO" on the question, "Can you provide a closure certificate?"

What should I be looking out for? My lawyer mentioned that there are risks in buying a home with a decommissioned tank, especially if the soil is contaminated or if future buyers want the tank removed.

I've searched the forums and can't find much info on this situation and am thus unsure how to proceed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 PM

21 posts, read 53,529 times
Please by all means be sure that the oil tank is removed or filled by the current owner before you purchase this home. I had a similar problem when I tried to sell my second property. The house was converted from oil to gas and the original owner never removed or filled the tank. Before I could get rid of the property I had to have the tank inspected and filled at a cost of around $2000.00. Luckily there was no leakage or spillage of oil or I would have been responsible for the clean up and depending on how for the leakage runs the damages could be extensive. Buyer Beware!!! Be sure they provide documentation or certificate.

Last edited by cniknik; 03-20-2008 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM

This one has, apparently, been filled. I worry it may not have been filled properly (due to being under the basement).

Is it possible to have the tank and soil tested if it's under the basement? The seller isn't going to be amenable to someone drilling/cutting through their finished basement floor.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Under no circumstances would I recommend you buy the property without certification from the seller. End of story.

Its WAY too big of a liability. You can get hit VERY hard financially if the tank had leaked, but didn't get the letter, and it is discovered that the soil is contaminated while you own it. It doesn't matter if its your fault or not, it'll be your problem. My suggestion, make it a sticking point on the purchase.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjoe View Post
Hi. I'm in the process of buying my first home (in Maplewood) and am currently in attorney review. The house has been converted from oil to gas heat, but apparently the oil tank is under the basement (not in the basement) and hasn't been removed. It has been decommissioned, and I am awaiting documentation. I know it was filled with sand. On the disclosure, the seller said documentation will be provided, but checked "NO" on the question, "Can you provide a closure certificate?"

What should I be looking out for? My lawyer mentioned that there are risks in buying a home with a decommissioned tank, especially if the soil is contaminated or if future buyers want the tank removed.

I've searched the forums and can't find much info on this situation and am thus unsure how to proceed.
I would not buy that house unless that tank is removed and its certified that no oil hit groundwater.
Trust me, I went thru that in Manalapan and it cost State Farm, $235,000 . Luckly it was covered because it occured when I was the owner, but if I had bought the house that way it would not be covered.
There was much frustration and grief involved in that cleanup, you don't want a minute of it. My house before being Sold was Certified by Engineers and also the DEP. I could not live there anymore.
Diane G

Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjoe View Post

unless the seller can provide certication that the tank was properly decommissioned, run do not walk away from buying that house, like others have noted, it is a potential nightmare to have to fix any kind of a spill

Old 03-21-2008, 05:18 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
You're getting excellent advice here. I would heed it if I were you.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 AM

I am speaking with my lawyer today, but one more clarification: if the tank was properly decommissioned and has certification, is that sufficient? Or should I still try to have the soil tested/tank removed?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,191 times
We sold a house were the previous owners had the tank filled - it was underground. We couldn't find the copy of the certificate we had, but knew the name of the company so we called them and got a copy for the owners buying our house.

I agree - make sure you get that certificate, if they don't have it they can call the company that did the work and get a copy. I actually think it was also filed with the town were we lived so the town should also have a copy or some record of it.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
We went to the town and found the permit and documents stating the work was done from the company who filled our tank. We did not get a "Closure certificate" not sure if that is the same idea.

We looked into having the tank removed, and supposedly there is some NJ grant thing going for this. Actually it's aimed more at people who will replace underground tanks with above ground tanks. Or replacing or removing tanks that are specifically leaking, not those which are already "closed". Either way it was about $3000 and we would have to front the money first, and we'd get paid afterwards. So ....the tank will just sit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey