Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:55 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Trump rejected the proposal to fund New York and New Jersey's 1/2 share of the project's cost through a loan from the US government. If they want the tunnel to proceed, they'll have to issue municipal bonds with a guarantee of payment. No Mooching off the US taxpayers.
This will be a tunnel used by "Amtrack Trains" correct? Now lets talk about how Amtrack mooches off of the US taxpayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
This will be a tunnel used by "Amtrack Trains" correct? Now lets talk about how Amtrack mooches off of the US taxpayers?
Amtrak doesn't need two new tunnels.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:29 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The present tunnels are shared by Amtrak & NJ Transit. During peak times the tunnels are already capacity limited. If the work isn't done soon it will come to haunt NJ in the near future.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:02 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

Again as previously stated, no "Amtrak does not need two new tunnels), but NJT also uses the North River tunnels, or have you forgotten?

Remove NJT (which again isn't legally possible since various laws/rules mean a RR including Amtrak cannot keep other RRs off their ROW), then that other massive boondoggle, the Farley post office conversion becomes a waste of money.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:56 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
They were going to. Further, it’s part of the national rail network. Travelers from all over the country use this tunnel. I guess we shouldn’t use federal money for interstate highways or defense either?
The cost of the tunnel should be as follows:

NY 25%
NJ 25%
All other states along the NE corridor line, 25%
Federal money 25%

That sounds fair to me.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
The thread on this in P&OC is rich. So many idiots out there it’s unbelievable.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:21 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianBeaky View Post
His obsession with Obama mesmerizes me. It reminds me back in grade school when a girl would bully a boy that she secretly was in love with. I've read from anonymous sources in the administration that they can get him to do stuff because they'd say "Obama wouldn't do this". Supposedly that's why he ordered that botched raid in Yemen like a year ago. Someone told him "Obama wouldn't take the risk" so Trump was like "Oh yeah? Watch this". He is a strange orange small handed man.
Really? Obama spent 8 years starting most all of his speeches with "I inherited."

Old 12-31-2017, 06:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's "that" for this particular federal deal, not for the project. The Gateway tunnel will be built.
Not in our life times. NY/NJ are terrible at managing finances. They've gone over budget on everything.

I'm still waiting for the VZ to be free of tolls as we were told it would once it was paid off. It's been paid off and we're still paying tolls to the tune of $17 per trip.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:49 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Not in our life times. NY/NJ are terrible at managing finances. They've gone over budget on everything.

I'm still waiting for the VZ to be free of tolls as we were told it would once it was paid off. It's been paid off and we're still paying tolls to the tune of $17 per trip.

Best thing to do would be to find a private enterprise willing to do the thing and hand the project over to them, then find a way to "buy" the new tunnels back. This and or build the things through a public/private partnership.

The last suggestion is *VERY* likely what the Chao woman and DT are scheming to present as a viable option. Trumps big construction/developer buddies would love to get a piece of that action, especially if some how they could extract future revenue (tolls, payments from Amtrak, NJT, NYS, NJ) as part of repayment.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:34 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

It will be built. Some of the early work is already going on. This is all politics and posturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey