Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,215 times

Advertisements

We all know that spotting a rat in the nyc subway system is almost inevitable given all the garbage and litter that is spilled onto the tracks. I've never spotted a rat/mouse underground in the path. Has anybody? I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the tunnels are much deeper than just below street level or if it has to do with the cleanliness? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM

52 posts, read 49,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
We all know that spotting a rat in the nyc subway system is almost inevitable given all the garbage and litter that is spilled onto the tracks. I've never spotted a rat/mouse underground in the path. Has anybody? I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the tunnels are much deeper than just below street level or if it has to do with the cleanliness? Any ideas?
It's much cleaner, food and drinks are strictly prohibited - stay alert, be aware, speak up...

Although, I think I saw once or twice (at night time) on Grove st station... But in general it's nice and clean in there.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I have seen mice on the tracks several times over the years.

There have to be rats, too.

But this reminded me. On the night of 9/11, rats were coming out of the Exchange Place PATH station, fleeing from the fire at the WTC. Police had to temporarily close off the area. Not sure what, if anything, they did with the rats.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:13 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
A friend of mine was a PATH conductor for almost 40 years, and he often commented about the rats that infested the tunnels.
The only mice that he mentioned were in the employee break room.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:22 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeem View Post
It's much cleaner, food and drinks are strictly prohibited - stay alert, be aware, speak up...

Although, I think I saw once or twice (at night time) on Grove st station... But in general it's nice and clean in there.
We're working hard to keep you safe on Path everyday! Smoking, eating, drinking or carrying open food containers is strictly prohibited!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
There are definitely rats and mice in the Path system. I have seen them on the tracks at the Newport and Grove St. stations.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:16 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Every single train/subway tunnel in or between NYC has rodents; that is just how they roll. Rats especially are borrowing/underground creatures and as such the extensive sewer, train and other tunnels/stuff underground is like heaven for them.

Only caveat being availability of food; if there isn't anything to eat then the places may only serve as travel conduits; rather than nesting/setting up housekeeping sites.

Case in point parts of the Second Avenue Subway tunnels were completed then sat empty for decades. However there weren't any rats because since the things were devoid of human activity there also wasn't any food.

Train/subway tunnels beneath Grand Central Terminal OTOH are full of rats. In fact so is much of the terminal building itself including MetLife (former Pan Am) building. Know guys who've done construction in that place who've opened or been in ceilings several floors above the terminal and found rats.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM

702 posts, read 539,969 times
Yes, I've seen them, but the polite term for them is "New Yorkers".

Old 01-10-2018, 01:13 PM

343 posts, read 229,442 times
Yeah I've seen them but not as frequently and they are normal rat size- not the ROUS types.
It's not really a concern though. They stay away. Easier to ignore than the people who want my spare dollars. What really freaked me out was seeing roaches covering the walls in the subways of Washington D.C late at night. I guess they came out for free beer and/ or urine.

No one needs to remind me that roaches are endemic to cities- with Jersey City and New York being no exception by any means but I've just never seen them en masse like that before.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Yeah I've seen them but not as frequently and they are normal rat size- not the ROUS types.
It's not really a concern though. They stay away. Easier to ignore than the people who want my spare dollars. What really freaked me out was seeing roaches covering the walls in the subways of Washington D.C late at night. I guess they came out for free beer and/ or urine.

No one needs to remind me that roaches are endemic to cities- with Jersey City and New York being no exception by any means but I've just never seen them en masse like that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey