Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:45 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,438,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Trader Joe's cancelled. At least that's what I heard via word of mouth. I believe it was suppose to be were the old pathmark closed.
I’m just surprised that all conversation about it seemed to drop after the plans were abandoned. I know the town wants one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
At least you have Wegmans in Parsippany.
THANK [insert deity of your choice]. I love Wegmans. That kind of makes up for me partially losing my favorite old joints due to the distance now (Corrados, Fairway, Maywood Market, and, recently, Uncle Giuseppe’s). The Shop-Rite in Wharton is pretty good too. I just found out they’re owned by Glass Gardens, who also run the well-respected Rochelle Park and Paramus Shop-Rites.

I went to a Weis supermarket for the first time a few days ago (the one in Flanders/Mt. Olive). It was OK. Certainly better than the abominations of Stop & Shop and Acme, but nothing like a good Shop-Rite or Wegmans. They’re building one in Randolph. I think it’s where the A&P was on Route 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Perhaps if the OP is lucky, that vacant supermarket will be occupied by a LIDL store. This chain, which is ALDI's major competitor in Germany, is on a tear with their expansion into The US marketplace. They have already opened a LIDL store in Vineland, and another one is slated to open in Flemington in the very near future.

I have been told that LIDL's prices are just as low as are ALDI's prices, and that the LIDL stores--as a result of their larger size--carry a wider assortment of products than ALDI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
LIDL has plans to open on Ridgedale Ave. in Cedar Knolls, just a couple miles from the new Wegman's in Parsippany and the fairly new mega Shop Rite in Morris Plains. The competition in that area is getting fierce!
I. CAN’T. WAIT. I love Aldi. Lidl looks like like a similar concept, with similar prices and an even wider selection of items. One in Cedar Knolls would be real good news, although the area seems to be a bit fancier than where they’ve been building so far (not unlike Aldi’s target areas), so I’ll believe it when I see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 02:48 PM

88,071 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugloverboca View Post
LIDL is building a store in Hazlet, on the site of the old Red Oak Diner on Route 35.
Thank you! That's only 20 minutes away.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,141,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
One in Cedar Knolls would be real good news, although the area seems to be a bit fancier than where they’ve been building so far (not unlike Aldi’s target areas), so I’ll believe it when I see it!
In regard to ALDI, their original stores were almost always in ghetto or near-ghetto areas, but as they have expanded, ALDI has opened stores in more... mainstream... areas and their newest stores are significantly larger than their older stores.

For example, there has been an ALDI store in Piscataway for several years, and that location is definitely not "ghetto".
More recently, they opened a store on Rt. 18 in decidedly suburban East Brunswick, and that store is probably 4-5 times the size of their older stores.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
In regard to ALDI, their original stores were almost always in ghetto or near-ghetto areas, but as they have expanded, ALDI has opened stores in more... mainstream... areas and their newest stores are significantly larger than their older stores.

For example, there has been an ALDI store in Piscataway for several years, and that location is definitely not "ghetto".
More recently, they opened a store on Rt. 18 in decidedly suburban East Brunswick, and that store is probably 4-5 times the size of their older stores.
The only one I know is in West Long Branch. Definitely not ghetto.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only one I know is in West Long Branch. Definitely not ghetto.

That store is probably relatively new. The original ALDI store in NJ (of which I am aware) was opened in a dodgy section of Roselle, back in the mid '90s. I lived in Rahway at the time, and although their advertised prices were attractive, I opted to not visit that location.

In Central NJ, there is an ALDI store in New Brunswick, but I decided to end my shopping expeditions to that store after someone was shot in their parking lot.

If I have an urge for any of their excellent German-sourced products ( I suggest that you avoid their Chinese-sourced products if you value your health and well-being...), I now visit their stores in Piscataway, Edison, or East Brunswick.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
That store is probably relatively new. The original ALDI store in NJ (of which I am aware) was opened in a dodgy section of Roselle, back in the mid '90s. I lived in Rahway at the time, and although their advertised prices were attractive, I opted to not visit that location.

In Central NJ, there is an ALDI store in New Brunswick, but I decided to end my shopping expeditions to that store after someone was shot in their parking lot.

If I have an urge for any of their excellent German-sourced products ( I suggest that you avoid their Chinese-sourced products if you value your health and well-being...), I now visit their stores in Piscataway, Edison, or East Brunswick.
I don't know how long it's been there. I moved down here from Bergen County eight years ago, and it was probably already there, but I didn't find it until a couple of years after I got here. It's right on 36.

I hear you about avoiding the parking lots where the shootings occur!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:29 PM

48 posts, read 67,298 times
There’s an Aldi in Hazlet, very close to where the new LIDL is going up. The Hazlet Aldi is in the ToysrUs shopping center on Route 35.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 PM

4,152 posts, read 5,014,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Anyone have any idea about when we might see Joey in this area? Also, we need more Starbucks stores here.
I don't think Randolph has the demographics that either TJ or Starbucks wants as their clientele.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 AM

7,214 posts, read 11,887,177 times
I just heard that there is a Lidl being built in Flemington Boro at the circle.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I just heard that there is a Lidl being built in Flemington Boro at the circle.
Quote:
Perhaps if the OP is lucky, that vacant supermarket will be occupied by a LIDL store. This chain, which is ALDI's major competitor in Germany, is on a tear with their expansion into The US marketplace. They have already opened a LIDL store in Vineland, and another one is slated to open in Flemington in the very near future.
You can always claim that you read it here... first.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey