Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
City-Data says 16% of Hunterdon county residents rent their apartments/homes. Now, you can argue that they're paying taxes as part of their rents, but they're not paying property taxes directly. Wiki says income taxes are 1.4%, 1.75% and 3.5%, depending on income - up to $40,000. It's safe to say that a lot of lower income people are the ones renting, so they're not paying much to begin with. Most of them will get a refund on their income taxes as well. So... no, they don't pay zero taxes, but they're paying pretty close to zero. The claim was also not 'half of NJ', it was half of Murphy voters.
Property taxes are determined by the town government. The percentage value on assessment is determined by county and far as I know all NJ counties have choosen assessment at 100% of property value. Again this is an incorrect stereotype of Murphy voters being out of touch with taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 12:12 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiDiGuy View Post
How much more can a working/middle class family afford to pay in property taxes? Property taxes are already insanely high in NJ.
And yet, the fools voted him in.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I hope you realize those "blue" areas are generally the major population centers while the big swaths of "red" are the rural sticks and low density suburbs.
I do. I also know that this map is from election day 2014. 40 million Americans voted for a Republican house on that day, compared to 35 million who voted for a Democratic house. Also, 24 million Americans voted for a Republican senate then, compared to just 20 million who voted Democratic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
He knows that. He just wants to mislead people
While I'm sure you are an expert on misleading people, you are wrong here (you should also be an expert on being wrong by now).

Old 01-07-2018, 04:46 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I do. I also know that this map is from election day 2014. 40 million Americans voted for a Republican house on that day, compared to 35 million who voted for a Democratic house. Also, 24 million Americans voted for a Republican senate then, compared to just 20 million who voted Democratic.

While I'm sure you are an expert on misleading people, you are wrong here (you should also be an expert on being wrong by now).
Talk about misleading,look into a mirror. You blame Murphy for everything and he hasn't take office yet

Old 01-07-2018, 06:37 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Talk about misleading,look into a mirror. You blame Murphy for everything and he hasn't take office yet
False. I discuss what Murphy's proposed policies mean, there's a difference.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:43 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
Property taxes are determined by the town government. The percentage value on assessment is determined by county and far as I know all NJ counties have choosen assessment at 100% of property value. Again this is an incorrect stereotype of Murphy voters being out of touch with taxes.
Emphasis on town government

Old 01-07-2018, 08:45 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
More kicking the can. The only way to save NJ is improve it's cost of living and by being business friendly. NJ cannot afford to squeeze businesses out and over tax the middle class anymore. Soon there will be no businesses and the middle class leaves and would rather live in overpriced NYC than overtaxed NJ.
...by being business friendly ?

How many businesses are leaving NJ ?

Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
True but the state's method of redistributing the school money it brings in heavily favors a small number of school districts at the expense of hundreds more.

The Abbott school decision strangled suburban and rural school districts.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
True but the state's method of redistributing the school money it brings in heavily favors a small number of school districts at the expense of hundreds more.

The Abbott school decision strangled suburban and rural school districts.
This is true.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 AM

18 posts, read 13,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
...by being business friendly ?

How many businesses are leaving NJ ?
I own a small business. I have 4 middle class employees, 3 with families that they support.

I am debating leaving. The cost of living and the super high taxes are just too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey