U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2008, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 99,497 times
Default Piscataway to NYC Commute

I'm thinking about moving to Piscatway and I work in NYC (Times Square/Rockefeller Cntr area). Can anyone tell me where the nearest trains and/or buses are to take me there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 PM

526 posts, read 1,403,225 times
Your best bet is the NEC line. The nearest stops from most parts of Piscataway on the NEC line are in New Brunswick and Edison. Piscataway is quite large so you'll want to map out those two stations and potential Piscataway neighborhoods. There is no real bus service to take you to either station so you'll need a car. And you'll need a place to park, which means you'll need a parking permit. Those aren't easy to come by. There's a 2-3 year waiting list at Edison, for example. You can park on the street near Edison but you'll have to plan on getting there very early (6:30am) to find a spot.

Your other option is the RARV line. Closest stops are Bound Brook and Dunellen. There are nice neighborhoods in Piscataway you can live in and drive down to Dunellen. Parking there is plenty. The drawback is fewer off-peak trains (could be a problem if you work a lot of long hours) and a change of trains at Newark penn.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 PM

160 posts, read 492,218 times
You can also drive to New Brunswick and take NJT to Penn Station....it really depends where you live in PW

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,508,974 times
Prepare for a multi-hour commute 2+ each way..Would definately not move to piscataway if working in NYC. You should find something alot closer.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 AM

160 posts, read 492,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Prepare for a multi-hour commute 2+ each way..Would definately not move to piscataway if working in NYC. You should find something alot closer.
Over an hour by train if you drive to NB. I wouldnt recommend it either.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 18,986 times
I Live in Piscataway, off of Possumtown Rd (Exit 8 on 287), and I work on 59th and Lex in the city.

The commute is an hour and half door to door.

I drive to Metuchen station becuase there is plenty of parking there, take the NEC to New York Penn station, then take the city subway to 59th st.

for 42nd street you can take the 1,2,3 line directly from Penn Station without even walking outside.

yea its quite long, i would never do it but the salary i was offered was the main incentive. But it is a long killer commute and I am in bed by 9:30 pm every night!

so much for a life huh?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 74,621 times
how about rahway, iselin & avenel areas - unless you are planning to buy a house in pw ?

Woodbridge and Rahway stations are very close in 5-10 mins drive and have new/bigger parking lots. Metro park is also close by but it is already congested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM40 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Piscatway and I work in NYC (Times Square/Rockefeller Cntr area). Can anyone tell me where the nearest trains and/or buses are to take me there?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 PM

26 posts, read 80,511 times
If you live at Starpoint at Piscataway, it has shuttle to Edison Train Station from there is about 40 minute NJ Trainsit train to Penn Station at Midtown Manhattan, and a subway over. There are also single family houses around that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey