Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been staying with family in Maplewood for the past year. I grew up in Maplewood/South Orange, and my husband is from the rural midwest. Maplewood is definitely too expensive for us to stay in once we move out (Looking to rent for now, spend < 1800/mo, eventually planning to buy). I love this area but my husband feels it's too dense and traffic is too bad. So my grand plan of moving to Bergen County has been nipped in the bud I work in Ridgewood, and he currently works in Central Jersey but is in the middle of a job hunt.

Where should we go? We don't have kids yet but they're on the horizon.

Some factors:
Decent schools (not top priority yet, but will be eventually)
Diversity a big plus
Less crazy than Essex County (if possible)
Conservative Jewish synagogue nearby a must
OK commute to Ridgewood (I'm currently traveling about 45 min each way, and that is manageable)
Downtown would be nice but not necessary
Property taxes not totally insane (planning on renting first so not immediate concern, but if we like the area we'll probably buy in the future)

So far, we've come up with Parsippany/Troy Hills, but there's no downtown to speak of. Cranford's a possibility, but not very diverse. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,137,382 times
If your husband is in the middle of a job hunt wouldn't it make sense to just wait and see where he ends up before you buy a place?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,625,842 times
Teaneck checks off most of your list

Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,652,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Teaneck checks off most of your list
This is a good suggestion even though it is Bergen County, but you are not going to avoid the traffic and density anywhere in northern New Jersey. I think your husband is going to have to accept that.

You might try Sussex County. My sister lives in Hamburg and commutes by car to Paramus, but you are not going to avoid traffic there, either.

Another suggestion is to cross the border and look at Rockland County towns. Ridgewood is only about 10 - 12 miles from the border.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,246,394 times
Norwood, northvale, closter, Harrington park. Not so conjested and a fairly calm environment. Conservative temple in closter.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 AM

275 posts, read 213,612 times
Sounds to me that traffic and property taxes are two monsters you won't be able to overcome. Having said that, there are plenty of other options that does not necessarily involves living in Bergen and Essex county. If you have considered Cranford, then there is a possibility that Metuchen and Highland Park may fit your budget and criteria. Central Jersey is not as over rated; property taxes are doable and in some instances commute is way better than any town in Bergen or Essex.

I live in Central Jersey and one of the reasons I chose Woodbridge is because I can easily expand my job search without having to worry about commute. In other words, I can search for jobs that entails to drive or take the NJT...just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey