Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 9,657 times

Advertisements

Hey lovely people!

For the past two years, I've lived in New Brunswick and have been commuting to Bridgewater for work. I went to Rutgers for school and I'll always love New Brunswick. However, I feel like I've "outgrown" it (being in my early 30s and all). I'm thinking about new places to move next year. Unfortunately I grew up in South Jersey so I'm unfamiliar with most of North Jersey and need some advice. I want to be based somewhere suitable for a young professional woman with no kids whose looking to meet new people and have fun. I love arts, culture, museums, cool restaurants and bars, all that fun stuff!

A side note: I adore New York City and would love to be closer to the Big Apple if it's possible for my commute. My hours are 7:30-3:30 so technically before the "big" rush hour traffic happens.

All suggestions would rock. Thank you so so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:32 PM

14 posts, read 31,383 times
Have you considered Somerville? Right next to Bridgewater, has a nice downtown area (albeit a bit small).

Also maybe look into Morristown, although it can get pricey from what I understand.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 PM

I've considered Morristown, but I don't know too much about it, honestly! Can anyone who has lived there shed some light?

Old 02-11-2018, 03:46 PM

14 posts, read 31,383 times
I have never lived there but have passed through many times. Its the county seat of Morris County and has a nice downtown with bars, restaurants, etc. Its basically the hub for nightlife in the Morris county area and seems to be a popular spot with the young professional demographic.

Another town with a nice downtown area is Cranford. This will put you a little bit closer to NYC, although Cranford has more of a family town vibe.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:57 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnjgirl View Post
I've considered Morristown, but I don't know too much about it, honestly! Can anyone who has lived there shed some light?
Can't there from here..... and too far if you consider the ops much closer in the following places

Somerville, Branchburg, town of Raritan, Readington, bridgewater good choices. Check out new appartments on rt 202 before the Flemington town center, also on rt 22 at the Branchburg/readington border.

Left out Hillsborough...overgrown, poor planning and heavy traffic, as are areas of bridgewater...you have to wonder if the planning boards are under the influence when they make decisions..

Of course it depends on where in BW you work.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM

280 posts, read 338,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Can't there from here..... and too far if you consider the ops much closer in the following places

Somerville, Branchburg, town of Raritan, Readington, bridgewater good choices. Check out new appartments on rt 202 before the Flemington town center, also on rt 22 at the Branchburg/readington border.

Left out Hillsborough...overgrown, poor planning and heavy traffic, as are areas of bridgewater...you have to wonder if the planning boards are under the influence when they make decisions..

Of course it depends on where in BW you work.
Too far? Morristown to Bridgewater is like 20-25 minutes. She'll be fine.

OP, Morristown is great for young professionals. Second would be Somerville. All the other towns listed are boring.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 AM

I definitely need to visit Morristown, I guess! How would the young professional crowd there compare to New Brunswick? I just feel so young in New Brunswick haha. Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help so far! Keep it coming!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM

280 posts, read 338,831 times
Morristown has more actual young professionals and young families as well. New Brunswick is still really college-based or young adults who aren't necessarily white collar. Granted you still have some major companies and medical workers in New Brunswick so if you get the right crowd you'll still be ok, but I know what you mean on graduating up to somewhere like Morristown with a crowd that's more similar to your lifestyle.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,932,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnjgirl View Post
Hey lovely people!

For the past two years, I've lived in New Brunswick and have been commuting to Bridgewater for work. I went to Rutgers for school and I'll always love New Brunswick. However, I feel like I've "outgrown" it (being in my early 30s and all). I'm thinking about new places to move next year. Unfortunately I grew up in South Jersey so I'm unfamiliar with most of North Jersey and need some advice. I want to be based somewhere suitable for a young professional woman with no kids whose looking to meet new people and have fun. I love arts, culture, museums, cool restaurants and bars, all that fun stuff!

A side note: I adore New York City and would love to be closer to the Big Apple if it's possible for my commute. My hours are 7:30-3:30 so technically before the "big" rush hour traffic happens.

All suggestions would rock. Thank you so so much!!
I would suggest Somerville & Morristown as you two moist likely options. Somervile is literally on the Bridgewater border, and Morristown is about 20 minutes away, by car. Both have nice restaurant/bar scenes, and nice "downtown" areas. Morristown is a good bit larger and more established, while Somerville is still growing, with lots of new additions recently and upcoming. The trip to NYC will be a faster & easier from Morristown, at least for now. There is an effort underway to create a "one seat train ride" to NYC on that train line, meaning you wouldn't need to transfer, as you currently do. If that happens, the trip on that line should become easier, and possibly shorter, though I don't foresee it ever being quite as short as from Morristown.
Morristown has more housing stock available, both to purchase and to rent, but it will usually be at least slightly more expensive. Somerville is currently building a good bit, including some really nice rental apartments right in the downtown area.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:08 PM

560 posts, read 539,544 times
If you're commuting to Bridgewater and want to live in Morristown, it won't be 20 min commute if your work hours is the traditional 7/8am-4/5pm, IMO.

I worked in Morristown for 10 years, so my commute was in reverse and it always took me at minimum 45 mins easily with good weather and decent traffic pattern. Bad weather, accidents guaranteed to add another 10-30 mins on top of it.

I would look at both towns, as do agree with others that Morristown and Somerville seem to be your best bet. Housing will be bit more expensive in Morristown than Somerville.

Commuting to Bridgewater from Somerville will be much more manageable, and not just great restuarants scene in Somerville. You'll have good choices of Grocery stores, gyms, and stores to shop from too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey