Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored2Day View Post
Yeah either that or Mommy gave it to them. I don't think teaching first grade (which is what I do) is equivalent to sitting on a box every day watching the Price is Right. I don't think that many other people are doing that either. We just don't make as much money as others however, we have very necessary jobs and a valued place in society. The economy sucks right now. I would hope that our country would help those who need help.

I just hope that I teach my kids to value what they have and not look down their noses at everyone else - always wanting more. Moral values are so important. Nobody likes a snob!
I agree with you completely about moral values. Along with morals, coupled with discipline, will usually yield a prosperous citizen. My original point is that those on public assistance are also receiving rebate checks. This is flat wrong.

I don't begrudge your teaching first grade. It's a noble profession. But you entered it knowing what the pay scale was. There are many other professions out there that yield a higher annual salary, because less people can perform them at a high rate, and there are more openings than there are people to fill them. Unfortunately, this can not be said of teachers. My sister is a second grade teacher, and she was only able to obtain her position after many, many attempts. The amount of people willing to fill these positions is high. My sister-in-law is also a teacher. She had to beat out 35 other applicants to fill one position in the Phillipsburg district. In other words, the amount of candidates exceed the amont of positions. Accordingly, the salary is what it is. Supply of teachers exceed the demand for the position. And again, this is not to disparage your position. It's a very honorable one. But a systems engineer who is proficient in Linux, TCP/IP, IIS administration and has experience in Java and C# programming is going to command more money. Much, much more. Because it is inherently more difficult to learn, and there are more positions available than there are candidates to fill them.

You know why both my sister and my sister-in-law wanted those positions? Security. Tenure. They wanted wage certainty. That's fine, however, with that, the pay scale is lower. The ceiling is low, but the floor is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM

240 posts, read 947,711 times
Exactly as I said, nobody likes a snob!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Well no, I don't agree with people living on welfare getting the rebate either...seniors on fixed incomes, definatley! I was just saying if you make 75 plus... chances are you don't really need $600.00! If you do, you're doing something wrong. It's peanuts! So I say let the little guy/gal who really needs it, have it.
on the flip side, if you make 75 or more, 600.00 is peanuts and you are more likely to go spend it on some retail stuff because you don't need it. The little guy who needs it is alot more likely to bank it. which to me is fine but is not what it is intended for.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,351 times
Quote:
Yeah either that or Mommy gave it to them. I don't think teaching first grade (which is what I do) is equivalent to sitting on a box every day watching the Price is Right. I don't think that many other people are doing that either. We just don't make as much money as others however, we have very necessary jobs and a valued place in society. The economy sucks right now. I would hope that our country would help those who need help.

I just hope that I teach my kids to value what they have and not look down their noses at everyone else - always wanting more. Moral values are so important. Nobody likes a snob!
What you do is a very tough and an extremely important job. I spent 2 hours this morning at my son's school where I help one of the first grade teachers. I have been helping her for 3 years now. And boy, does she need the help. Without the teacher's aides and parent volunteers like myself, I really do not know how they can get everything done. There is a tremendous amount teachers do that does not involve teaching. I watch the dynamics as she plays counselor and parent to some of these children whose home life I am sure is not peaceful. I love being there each week. But could I do it day in and day out? I doubt it, it takes a special kind of person. So, my props to you.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
on the flip side, if you make 75 or more, 600.00 is peanuts and you are more likely to go spend it on some retail stuff because you don't need it. The little guy who needs it is alot more likely to bank it. which to me is fine but is not what it is intended for.
There are such sweeping generalizations on this board. We do not qualify for the rebate. But to insuinate that people that are in a certain tax bracket act this way or that is inaccurate. I do not carry a Louis Vuitton purse,not because I can't, it is because I cannot see spending $1,000 on a purse. To me that is asinine. Do I have a lawn service? No, I mow my own grass. However, I am the only wife on the street who does. I am also one of the few who cleans her own house. We might be in a higher tax bracket, but we are frugal and make good judgements. My husband is also the hardest working man I have met. We have taxes to pay and a son to put through college just like everyone else. If people are passing out rebates, everyone should receive one, even those who have put the most in the pot to begin with. That seems like a great idea to me.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
What you do is a very tough and an extremely important job. I spent 2 hours this morning at my son's school where I help one of the first grade teachers. I have been helping her for 3 years now. And boy, does she need the help. Without the teacher's aides and parent volunteers like myself, I really do not know how they can get everything done. There is a tremendous amount teachers do that does not involve teaching. I watch the dynamics as she plays counselor and parent to some of these children whose home life I am sure is not peaceful. I love being there each week. But could I do it day in and day out? I doubt it, it takes a special kind of person. So, my props to you.

Thanks! I love my job.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM

P.S. I am on Spring Break right now - not slacking. I guess I'll pull up my box and watch the Price is Right. I'm going for the curtain Mike0421 - Or should I say, "My selection today will be the window covering."

Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Quote:

You tell them teach! I was just spending the last few hours trying to help a teacher friend of mine figure out how she is going to survive this year on what she makes as her taxes just went up again, oil at $4.00/gallon is killing her, and she needs to figure out how she is going to make it through the summer without a paycheck considering her savings is gone due to the increases she has had to absorbed. She makes close to 60K a year...single, no kids - less than modest home. She wants to refinance or take out a home equity loan. I'm doing my best to try and figure out how she can avoid doing that. I recommended that she claim more dependent on her check each week - she may not get a refund on her tax return next year but she will have more money in her pocket each week so she can afford to pay her bills now and have a little left to save for summer bills. It really is getting so sad.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
There are such sweeping generalizations on this board. We do not qualify for the rebate. But to insuinate that people that are in a certain tax bracket act this way or that is inaccurate. I do not carry a Louis Vuitton purse,not because I can't, it is because I cannot see spending $1,000 on a purse. To me that is asinine. Do I have a lawn service? No, I mow my own grass. However, I am the only wife on the street who does. I am also one of the few who cleans her own house. We might be in a higher tax bracket, but we are frugal and make good judgements. My husband is also the hardest working man I have met. We have taxes to pay and a son to put through college just like everyone else. If people are passing out rebates, everyone should receive one, even those who have put the most in the pot to begin with. That seems like a great idea to me.
hc - you need to move to our neighborhood - all the wives and or woman on this block mow the lawn : ) We even have lawn mower races once and a while...or contest to see who can make the prettiest design. Sounds to me like you earned your wealth... and appreciate what it took to get to where you are and don't spend foolishly! I can afford a landscaper or house keeping but why spend that money when I can do it myself - plus I actually enjoy it : )

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM

(Wiley ) I feel for your friend! I have also dipped into my summer savings to makes ends meet this year. I don't remember struggling this badly last year, or the year before... All of the little things are adding up. My sister is not feeling it and makes a little more than me. It seems like it is creeping up slowly. My pay is decent. My heart goes out (rather than my nose going up) for those who are making less. Perhaps in the construction, housing..industry who all of a sudden have found themselves slow in this economy... or those who never had the opportunity to go to college and are working for low wages. I bet they wish they had a lawn to cut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey