Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmaven View Post
Interesting. This is exactly what I was expecting. I will definitely look into this. Any more information about the commutes? Are these NJ transit buses? Any place where I can find stops/information on times etc. Thanks!
My experience with buses in Bergen county had been very unpleasant. If you have to be at work by 9:00 am, I would not rely on a bus as they can easily get stick in traffic. PABT is a big nightmare, just read up some reviews about it. Buses themselves are old and cramped and very crowded. And god forbid there is rain, snow, bright sun or a game/concert in the Meadowlands arena. Your commute will take forever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 01:12 PM

462 posts, read 550,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
This is basically why we ended up in Cranford, the house is a five minute walk to the train. After we moved here I found out we had an express bus too, which means when the train goes down I take the bus. If I need to go to Times Square in the morning I take the bus.

Having both adds so much flexibility to getting to and from the city, but the housing stock isn't new and some people think the town is too far out for them. It's not right for everyone but it's certainly right for us right now.

No argument, Cranford is very nice. We looked there also. I sometimes regret not buying there, but we were under a bit of time pressure and really didn't see a house we liked in our price range there. If I worked midtown I might have just rented until we found something.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM

332 posts, read 522,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
My experience with buses in Bergen county had been very unpleasant. If you have to be at work by 9:00 am, I would not rely on a bus as they can easily get stick in traffic. PABT is a big nightmare, just read up some reviews about it. Buses themselves are old and cramped and very crowded. And god forbid there is rain, snow, bright sun or a game/concert in the Meadowlands arena. Your commute will take forever...
If you have to be at work by 9, it's awful. If you have to be at work by 8, it's fine. Traffic at the helix to 495 picks up right around 7:15. It is true that bad weather destroys the commute, moreso than with the train. Any snow and the express bus lane into PABT is closed. Commute home is usually fine except around the holidays when traffic picks up (I've never quite figure out why). The busses are certainly a bit less comfortable than the train, but not by that much. Crowds depend on what line you take. If you take a bus line that isn't overcapacity (ie minimal lines at night) I don't really get the complaint about port authority. I literally spend less than 10 minutes a day in the terminal, 2 walking out, and a few walking in and occasionally waiting for my bus. Especially if you work within walking distance, you can figure out the exact time you need to get to your gate to get a seat on the bus you want.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:33 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,374 times
Yes, the bus can take a little tweaking to get right, but overall it’s very reliable. Lakeland Bus Lines has routes on 46 and 80, including park & ride lots with free parking at places like the Rockaway Mall. If you can adjust your workday a little (8-4, for example) to make an early bus work for you, you’re good. Bad weather is a problem (for everyone!) so it’s great to be able to work at home when needed. I’ve taken the bus from Dover and Parsippany on and off for 20 years and no question, my train-riding colleagues from NJ and other suburbs complain a lot more than I ever have cause to.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 55,330 times
Look at Fair Lawn. I moved in here for the very reasons you have mentioned. Now that I live in Fair Lawn, may be I am biased but this town is worth a look - 2 train station (<40 mins to penn with a hop at Secaucus), multiple express busses, safe, good schools, raising property value. if you need any specifics on which area is nicer etc, I will gladly help - not a real estate agent - don't be scared

new town homes are coming up (530k+ for 1950 sqft), steps away from radburn station but seems expensive to me .

good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey