Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,581 times

Advertisements

I am a native Chicagoan who will start work at UMDNJ internal medicine in Newark. I'm trying to figure out where to live. I am an avid runner and run marathons so I would like a safe place if I have to run at night. I'm looking to live no more than 25mins from the University Hospital in Newark. Is Ironbound a safe place to live? What about Orange? I would also try Hoboken but that is really expensive. I'd have to get a studio and live frugally. I'll have a car so that's good. I'd appreciate any input from you Jersey and non-Jersey folks out there. It's my first time leaving Chicago actually, little nervous but more excited.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,670,350 times
Running at night in Newark, I would not recommend. We live in Maplewood, which is close to Newark. It is a great community, and plenty of places to run. One of my favorite places to run (not at night) is the South Mountain Reservation; beautiful area, with a view of NYC.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,784,441 times
Don't run in Orange either!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM

253 posts, read 1,264,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatel42 View Post
I am a native Chicagoan who will start work at UMDNJ internal medicine in Newark. I'm trying to figure out where to live. I am an avid runner and run marathons so I would like a safe place if I have to run at night. I'm looking to live no more than 25mins from the University Hospital in Newark. Is Ironbound a safe place to live? What about Orange? I would also try Hoboken but that is really expensive. I'd have to get a studio and live frugally. I'll have a car so that's good. I'd appreciate any input from you Jersey and non-Jersey folks out there. It's my first time leaving Chicago actually, little nervous but more excited.
You might want to give up your dream of running.

25 minutes from UMDNJ in Newark leaves you a lot of choices, because UMDNJ is 5 minutes from most of our main highways. You can live in Edison (25 minutes from Newark) Cranford (20 minutes) Avenel (25 minutes), Livingston (15-20 minutes), I mean the choice is really yours. Hoboken is also a good choice, but you might get stuck in a lot of the traffic coming from the city and going into the city. 280 can be a nightmare both ways. You can probably run in west orange, they have a nice park on the west orange/south orange border, and again that's only 15-20 minutes from UMDNJ.

Good luck. They're laying off heavily, so hopefully you'll still have a job in 4 months @ the beginning of their new fiscal year.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,670,350 times
Don't listen to girl about giving up running. I am a marathon runner also; there are plenty of places.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,581 times
Default thanks for the replies

hi there. thanks for the replies. i am looking into the places you all have suggested, thank you. also, i have heard the Ironbound or Down Neck district is pretty safe and is a nice place to live (parks etc.). Any inside scoop on this area?

rpatel42

Old 03-24-2008, 05:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,945,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatel42 View Post
hi there. thanks for the replies. i am looking into the places you all have suggested, thank you. also, i have heard the Ironbound or Down Neck district is pretty safe and is a nice place to live (parks etc.). Any inside scoop on this area?

rpatel42
unless you are portuguese you may not be comfortable there, it is a densely packed heavily portuguese area, consider a town like bloomfield if you need to be next to newark

Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
You might want to give up your dream of running.
Do NOT take this advice. As a fellow avid runner who is training for a marathon (Steamtown Marathon in Scranton to be exact), I couldn't imagine the void that there'd be in my life if I had to sacrifice such an endorphin-releasing physical activity as running. There always has to be a silver lining somewhere. If you eventually move to a less-than-desirable neighborhood for safety, then perhaps you could always invest in a treadmill. I use it during the incessant winter here in the Poconos, and while it's no substitute to the thrill of running outdoors and communing with nature, it's still better than nothing.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,945,293 times
running around newark is just a bad idea, the streets are not safe the parks are unsafe, just about everywhere in newark is not safe.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
running around newark is just a bad idea, the streets are not safe the parks are unsafe, just about everywhere in newark is not safe.
I'm sure the downtown area is safe. After all, if the downtown began to receive a nefarious reputation for violent crime, then the NJPAC, Riverfront Stadium, Prudential Center, etc. would wither up and fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey