U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2018, 01:20 PM
46H
 
964 posts, read 584,909 times
Reputation: 1864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
PASSAIC, Clifton, haledon, totowa, Paterson. Franklin lakes is not in PASSAIC county.
Clifton and Paterson do not share a border with Wayne. Thanks for the update on Franklin Lakes, I did not realize that Wayne, sharing a border with a town (Franklin Lakes) in another county (Bergen) did not count.

By the way, Franklin Lakes is in Bergen County and shares a border with Wayne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2018, 03:21 PM
 
40 posts, read 29,616 times
Reputation: 38
Wikipedia does wonders here folks.

Wayne shares its borders with 11 neighboring municipalities. Franklin Lakes and Oakland in Bergen County; Fairfield and North Caldwell in Essex County; Lincoln Park and Pequannock in Morris County; and Haledon, Little Falls, North Haledon, Pompton Lakes and Totowa in Passaic County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 06:17 PM
 
731 posts, read 531,797 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Clifton and Paterson do not share a border with Wayne. Thanks for the update on Franklin Lakes, I did not realize that Wayne, sharing a border with a town (Franklin Lakes) in another county (Bergen) did not count.

By the way, Franklin Lakes is in Bergen County and shares a border with Wayne.
Sorry I was being not clear in my comments above. Clearly I didn't explain my observations correctly. And maybe what I'm seeing is not the real story. That's why I put it out there.
Wayne does not seem to support poorer communities within its own county unlike Bergen county. Bergen county affluent towns often contribute to food banks and support homeless in county wide service agencies like CFA and the large shelter in Hackensack. There doesn't seem to be town border protecting.
I see a lot of support for places like Eva's or cumac coming from outside the county and I see Wayne setting up services for their own residents. It's my impression that they like to isolate from the problems of the other towns within their county.
I hope that explains my impressions better.
I don't know the culture of the other counties but I do know Bergen and PASSAIC well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,509 posts, read 3,094,486 times
Reputation: 3355
wayne floods and has heavy traffic.

all it has a is a comic book store and some good pizza places. the bagels are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 AM
 
2,512 posts, read 1,329,662 times
Reputation: 4607
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Sorry I was being not clear in my comments above. Clearly I didn't explain my observations correctly. And maybe what I'm seeing is not the real story. That's why I put it out there.
Wayne does not seem to support poorer communities within its own county unlike Bergen county. Bergen county affluent towns often contribute to food banks and support homeless in county wide service agencies like CFA and the large shelter in Hackensack. There doesn't seem to be town border protecting.
I see a lot of support for places like Eva's or cumac coming from outside the county and I see Wayne setting up services for their own residents. It's my impression that they like to isolate from the problems of the other towns within their county.
I hope that explains my impressions better.
I don't know the culture of the other counties but I do know Bergen and PASSAIC well.
We understand you, some of us just don't agree with you. You seem to be stuck on this idea which is your right. But here is some evidence to the contrary from some churches in Wayne. I'm sure other religious & community organizations do good work as well, I just didn't have time to pore over their websites
______

This ministry is open to all parishioners who would like to participate in humanitarian and environmental efforts. It affords an opportunity to help clothe the poor, feed the hungry and address issues of peace and justice on a local a global basis.

Back Packs for Kids
Eva's Kitchen
Food Collection
Father English Center
Habitat for Humanity
Teddy Bears for Tots
____

EVA’S KITCHEN OUTREACH
We will provide the poor of Paterson with a hot noontime meal at Eva’s Kitchen. Volunteers are needed to prepare the meal of Ziti and Meatballs and fresh fruit, (bananas and oranges are preferred). *Please partially cook the Ziti and keep the Meatballs separate. Sixteen (16) volunteers are needed to serve at Eva’s new expanded facility in Paterson. Sign-up sheets are at the back of the church and at the Chapel entrance. Your partici- pation is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
_____

Habitat for Humanity

This is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian ministry founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live. Several times a year, our volunteers go to Paterson, NJ to build simple, decent and affordable homes for low-income families.

On any given work day we might, nail subfloors, caulk and seal outside walls, put up siding, move plumbing supplies and and much, much more! Everyone always learns a new skill and comes away with a sense of pride and accomplishment.
____________

What’s small and sweet and fun to eat? Individually wrapped granola bars, candy bars and cookies, of course. We will be collecting these goodies on an ongoing basis for Eva’s Village where hundreds of homeless men and women come daily for a hot meal. The bars are left on the chairs as a treat for the diners to take with them after lunch. Please leave these items in the basket in the vestibule. Thank you for caring.
______

Parishioners volunteer to cook or serve at Eva’s Kitchen, located in Paterson, on six Sundays during the year. Volunteers need only cook twice and those who serve only go once during the year. Parishioners provide fresh fruit and meatball sandwiches. Volunteers cook meatballs at home and drop them off at the church parking lot, to be brought to Eva’s Kitchen in car pools by those serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 05:56 AM
 
438 posts, read 286,951 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
wayne floods and has heavy traffic.

all it has a is a comic book store and some good pizza places. the bagels are ok.
Most anywhere near a river floods. Doesn't matter the town. For Wayne, it is a small area on the south side of town.


Additionally people normally don't decide where to live based on comic books, pizza, and bagels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 07:42 AM
 
731 posts, read 531,797 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Most anywhere near a river floods. Doesn't matter the town. For Wayne, it is a small area on the south side of town.


Additionally people normally don't decide where to live based on comic books, pizza, and bagels.
Wayne has suffered the most flooding damage, over time, within the state. They were working on fixing the problem so maybe it's not so bad now.
Interactive Map: State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 AM
 
2,512 posts, read 1,329,662 times
Reputation: 4607
Anywhere in NJ can flood. If you don't do a proper flood check before putting an offer in on any home, you should! Most agents can run them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM
 
438 posts, read 286,951 times
Reputation: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Wayne has suffered the most flooding damage, over time, within the state. They were working on fixing the problem so maybe it's not so bad now.
Interactive Map: State

Many of those homes are gone now. Just check out River Road, Brookside and Edith Court and you will see plenty of empty lots where flood prone houses once were. However, by reading comments from folks here you would think the entire town is under water every time it rains, which is not accurate at all. I lived in 6 different homes in Wayne and only one of them was in a flood zone. If a home was in a flood zone I wouldn't consider buying it either, however my point is it's not the whole town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Reputation: 66355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
wayne floods and has heavy traffic.

all it has a is a comic book store and some good pizza places. the bagels are ok.
So what you're saying is that you don't actually know very much about Wayne.

Wayne is huge in area, and has already been pointed out, has a high school called Wayne Hills. Do you think it floods from the river in the hills?

There is also this little place called Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, and the Wayne Hills Mall, which had kind of died, is being redeveloped.

Many years ago, a good friend of mine mentioned that her coworker in the mailroom of a publisher where she worked had asked her if she wanted to take a candy-making class with her. My friend said, no thanks, she was not interested.

This is her coworker's store. It must be there 40 years now.

Laurie's Homemade Candy - Lauries Candies in Wayne NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top