Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why are there no second-world countries?
FYI, the '2nd World' is basically the former Soviet sphere of influence. For the most part, the 1st/2nd/3rd world designations are outdated Cold War terminology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM

23,531 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In NYC, 3rd world environment becoming almost a thing of the past. Many poor areas converted to high rises and even poor people getting freebies and entitlements they look like the eat better and perform better jobs and no longer in a race to the bottom.

For NJ, you can drive through near endless mansions stacked hill after hill and gated communities with high end shops that even most NYers do not have access. But a few miles you can drive through 3rd world neighborhoods that are as bad as Iraq, Syria, etc. Abandoned homes, streets filled with homeless and opportunists. Many of them are drug mills and boarded up buildings that used to be giant factories. Neighboring towns have police acting as border patrol to filter traffic and pull over any suspecting drivers to keep the towns purified of crime.
Under democrat control forever, explains much of the problem.

Pandering is preferred by Nj legislators. Creating solutions to problems is out of their purview and beyond their imaginations.

Another problem is many areas are polluted and the new owner has to take on the cost to rehab the property.

Dems should charge the gangs a tax for their claim on a territory. Places like Newark and Plainfield have more gangs than square miles.

People who would prefer to live in a city has been forced out to the more rural areas, depleting the open space. I'm all for a revitalization of cities and areas that you describe just to save what is left of our natural areas.

Hey, got a great idea, let's legalize pot and encourage smoking to placate the local residents and increase their tolerance toward land laid waste and career oriented politicians.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:48 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No, this is the main reason in life, there are winners and losers. You do a poor job, then everything about you will reflect it. Likewise, if you do a good job, then that too will be apparent.

The fact is that the crappy and poor towns and cities get the most state and federal help but remain crappy because the crappy leadership make bad decisions and squander it all away. The residents are the ones that vote in those leaders.

Stop trying to be an apologist for failure because we’ve had the Left telling us for decades that the failed cities and towns are a result of “more things to consider” instead of the real reason, which is not political correct to say.
You're trying to assign the simplicity of black and white to the complexity of a kaleidoscope.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for anything (I honestly don't care on that level), I'm trying to inform you that the world has many more layers than you obviously realize. According to your logic no other factors should even be considered, and the world's problems can be solved on the stage of politics i.e. 'if you just vote this guy in...everything will be okay'.

You can be rigid about the situation all you want, it doesn't change the situation on the ground.

Last edited by 66nexus; 02-28-2018 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 04:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You're trying to assign the simplicity of black and white to the complexity of a kaleidoscope.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for anything (I honestly don't care on that level), I'm trying to inform you that the world has many more layers than you obviously realize. According to your logic no other factors should even be considered, and the world's problems can be solved on the stage of politics i.e. 'if you just vote this guy in...everything will be okay'.

You can be rigid about the situation all you want, it doesn't change the situation on the ground.
Of course the world is complex and there are other factors but all those other factors are minimal. When the common denominator of all troubled, rundown, high crime towns and cities all over the country, let alone NJ, is the same thing, it is safe to draw that conclusion (at least not openly otherwise one will be labeled racist). Of course, we are living in a political correct time period and thus cannot draw that conclusion. We must say that the cause is everything else, e.g. your “other factors.”

Old 02-28-2018, 04:37 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Quote:

No need for racism.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
No need for racism.
That's right! What about the yellow? And the red? And let's not even talk about the green.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:26 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Of course the world is complex and there are other factors but all those other factors are minimal. When the common denominator of all troubled, rundown, high crime towns and cities all over the country, let alone NJ, is the same thing, it is safe to draw that conclusion (at least not openly otherwise one will be labeled racist). Of course, we are living in a political correct time period and thus cannot draw that conclusion. We must say that the cause is everything else, e.g. your “other factors.”
We'll just agree to disagree on the bolded (and pretty much everything else for that matter).

It might be safe for you to draw the 'common denominator' conclusion, but historically I know it's much more than that. (I'm certain our common denominators aren't the same/)

Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
We'll just agree to disagree on the bolded (and pretty much everything else for that matter).

It might be safe for you to draw the 'common denominator' conclusion, but historically I know it's much more than that. (I'm certain our common denominators aren't the same/)
You constantly say it’s much more or other factors but do not have provide anything. More like you have nothing but just don’t want to acknowledge the uncomfortable truth.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In NYC, 3rd world environment becoming almost a thing of the past. Many poor areas converted to high rises and even poor people getting freebies and entitlements they look like the eat better and perform better jobs and no longer in a race to the bottom.

For NJ, you can drive through near endless mansions stacked hill after hill and gated communities with high end shops that even most NYers do not have access. But a few miles you can drive through 3rd world neighborhoods that are as bad as Iraq, Syria, etc. Abandoned homes, streets filled with homeless and opportunists. Many of them are drug mills and boarded up buildings that used to be giant factories. Neighboring towns have police acting as border patrol to filter traffic and pull over any suspecting drivers to keep the towns purified of crime.
gentrification just started and the poconos are full

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 PM

857 posts, read 833,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
gentrification just started and the poconos are full
I heard a train to midtown is in the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey