U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 PM

21 posts, read 10,620 times

Advertisements

Looking at a house in Little Falls, the train tracks is basically in the backyard. The house needs to be renovated (which I will end up doing).....but the train situation worries me.

1) does the train run on the weekends (from montclair state)....according to the schedule it looks like it only runs from 6am to 8:30am on the weekends.
2) is there a solution to drown out the sound? the tracks are higher than the house, could i plant trees to block the sound?
3) re-sale?

how is little little falls overall? Crime? School? "city center" ? another house im looking at is in Morristown (my wife and I love are really loving the morristown area).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:42 PM

8,485 posts, read 12,448,580 times
Run, don't walk.

Unless you're a commuter and setting up a train stop in your backyard. Talk about convenience.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:53 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,119,998 times
How far are you from the train station? In my town, one of the most beautiful, prestigious streets in town runs right along the tracks. Houses sell immediately because it's a five-minute walk to town and the train station. I'd be surprised to hear of any price reduction for proximity to the tracks.

I live about three blocks away from the tracks up a hill and barely notice the trains. With my windows closed, I can see them go by but not hear them. The electric NJT trains don't make that much noise. Every so often (once or twice a day?) a diesel freight train will go by and get my attention, but it's a small price to pay for being so close to town.

I used to own a house that backed up to a freeway. The houses across the street were up a hill and the noise was quite a bit louder. I could barely tolerate it in their front yards, while I hardly noticed it in my back yard. But my house took the price hit. Go figure. Elevation does make a difference.

You need to spend some time there and decide if it's a noise level you can live with. Camp out in your car in the driveway for a few hours and watch videos on your phone. Pretend you're in your living room.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:22 PM

857 posts, read 469,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Run, don't walk.

Unless you're a commuter and setting up a train stop in your backyard. Talk about convenience.
I gotta agree with Camaro on this one. Go for it. Especially given the fact that you and your wife prefer another town.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 9,590,851 times
Go with Morristown. No comparison.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,657,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
2) is there a solution to drown out the sound? the tracks are higher than the house, could i plant trees to block the sound?
Spent 4 years living next to commuter train tracks. There are definitely things you can do to dapem the sound like trees in the yard however biggest bang for your buck you will get is doing sound proofing work on the house as it also helps with heating and cooling costs. By doing work like putting better sound dampen material between the walls and replacing windows to get like the triple glazed kinds. Sounds like house needs reno anyway so why not.

Other good tip for you is that while majority of people think about train noise, don't forget about vibrations from train passing by. Sounds you can do stuff to dampen. Vibrations you can't really do anything.

All that said. You get used to train noise and it becomes more of normal ambient thing. Personally for me, living near the train station outweighed the noise and vibrations even though it was a very busy commuter line in Long Island.

Walking distance to train station, which is also often had stores and downtown, not needing parking (since you just leave your car at your place) are freaking wonderful. Outweighs the noise and vibrations for me.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,184,983 times
Is there a fence between the house and tracks? Do you have kids? If you're right on the train tracks you will constantly have to worry about your kids playing on the tracks (no matter how many times you tell them not to). When it comes to resale, other potential buyers will have this same concern.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM

21 posts, read 10,620 times
thanks for the feedback, super helpful.

the train station is 2 miles away from the house....so its not walkable, would still need to drive. The train tracks are about 40-50 feet away (i suck at estimating distance). the layout is house, small patio, pool, a little green and then train tracks. The tracks are higher than the ground level, its about level with the second floor of the house.

agree with safety of children. I also have a dog so I would fence in the whole backyard, so i dont think the kids will be able to play on the tracks

I do plan on living here for a while (10-15+ years), so yeah i probably could get used to it. Im not really thinking baout resale, but at the same time I am, and the thoughts im having about being able to low-ball and get the house at a better price, im sure someone else will to. During summer days when im sitting out back, its probably going to get annoying, and of course guests are going to make wise-crack remarks.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM

510 posts, read 339,736 times
I actually live in Little Falls and was trying to find the home in question on Zillow, but the only one near the train tracks with a pool has a large fenced in yard, so maybe you're looking in nearby Cedar Grove?

As for the town, it is pretty much run of the mill suburbia, good schools, very little crime, good centralized location for most points in North Jersey. It is working to update it's downtown and overall aesthetics, which is a nice perk. It is very close to Montclair too.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,632,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
does the train run on the weekends (from montclair state)....according to the schedule it looks like it only runs from 6am to 8:30am on the weekends.
On the weekends, the trains run as far as Bay Street in Montclair. (I think maybe on certain holidays, there's a couple of trains that get extended westward). But basically, it runs to Manhattan in the morning and from Manhattan in the afternoon on weekdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey