Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee888 View Post
He just told me someone in his office commutes from brick. He is going to talk to him next week. I would think if u could get in from brick which is further south there has to be a decent way from Howell.
Just be prepared for the person who commutes from Brick Township to lie about his commuting time.
For reasons that I don't fully understand, if you ask people about their commuting time, they will almost always understate it by a huge percentage. Just as people lie about their gas mileage (by inflating it) most people lie about their commuting time by drastically understating it.

My favorite example of this was a guy with whom my parents were friendly, back in the '60s. This guy--who lived in Bayonne--swore that it only took him 20 minutes to drive from Bayonne to Matawan during commuting hours. This guy refused to take toll roads, and he was very proud that he never drove his Rambler faster than 40 mph, but he wanted people to believe that he--magically--drove the 30 miles or so from Bayonne to Matawan in 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 07:53 PM

60 posts, read 104,524 times
Quote:
He just told me someone in his office commutes from brick. He is going to talk to him next week. I would think if u could get in from brick which is further south there has to be a decent way from Howell.
If the person who lives in Brick lives right by the GSP Exit 91 bus stop and takes the Parkway Express bus, it is entirely possible that their commute would be generally be faster than taking the bus along Rt 9 from Howell, as taking the Parkway is usually way, way faster than Rt 9 with all of its traffic lights. However, Fridays and some Thursdays in the summer, the commute down the Parkway could conceivably be 3+ hours.

If one is already working in NYC, to move to Howell/Brick/Toms River is a great way to potentially spend 5+ hours a day commuting, for towns that overall aren't even considered to be the greatest towns to live in in Monmouth/Ocean Counties. There are other options closer to NYC, with more manageable commutes, and better schools/community life, along train lines that might be worth looking into.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:45 AM

123 posts, read 181,213 times
Quote:
Many people who live in Newark and work in midtown have door-door commutes that are close to 1h. The train ride itself is usually 25-30 min. Now where is Newark and where is Howell? Think about it. There is no "decent way" to commute from Howell to midtown. Unless you have a helicopter.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM

468 posts, read 426,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner7 View Post
If the person who lives in Brick lives right by the GSP Exit 91 bus stop and takes the Parkway Express bus, it is entirely possible that their commute would be generally be faster than taking the bus along Rt 9 from Howell, as taking the Parkway is usually way, way faster than Rt 9 with all of its traffic lights. However, Fridays and some Thursdays in the summer, the commute down the Parkway could conceivably be 3+ hours.

If one is already working in NYC, to move to Howell/Brick/Toms River is a great way to potentially spend 5+ hours a day commuting, for towns that overall aren't even considered to be the greatest towns to live in in Monmouth/Ocean Counties. There are other options closer to NYC, with more manageable commutes, and better schools/community life, along train lines that might be worth looking into.
With all of the above mentioned, consider the budget. While there are better towns with better commutes, I'm sure they cost more - with diminishing returns.

Additionally, I'll never understand losing 4 hrs a day simply commuting. At minimum, it just lowers the value of your time.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 AM

595 posts, read 677,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just be prepared for the person who commutes from Brick Township to lie about his commuting time.
For reasons that I don't fully understand, if you ask people about their commuting time, they will almost always understate it by a huge percentage. Just as people lie about their gas mileage (by inflating it) most people lie about their commuting time by drastically understating it.
This.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 AM

18 posts, read 25,048 times
Well we looked in closer areas and unfortunately cldnt find what we needed at a reasonable price. We also had to think of the schools

Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM

468 posts, read 426,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
This.
I think people tend to understate their commute because of the way it "feels".

When I commuted to Columbus circle from North Brunswick, it "felt" like an hour - because I slept on the bus going in.

In reality, it took 20 minutes to get to the bus. A 45 minute ride (on a good day) into the Port Authority. Then an additional 25-30 minutes to Columbus circle.

That's easily an hour and a half on a good day in a town much further north than Howell/Brick. But due to the sleep, it only felt like an hour of actual commuting. I'm sure the people that sleep on the way into the city feel the same way.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times
Quote:
Well we looked in closer areas and unfortunately cldnt find what we needed at a reasonable price. We also had to think of the schools
define reasonable price. And what type of house do you need? There are places where you can find value. I agree commuting to midtown form Howell is terrible for mediocre schools until at least HS when you have some choice. IF you need a 4Br 2500sq ft house for 350K then yes I guess your stuck. but if you have more budget or can compromise on house then you might be surprised at what you can find. I'd rather look for something in North Middletown at least and you'd cut 30 min off your commute or so.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Here's my turn,,, I used to commute from Western Morris County to Woodside Queens NY,, about 45 minutes (on a GOOD day),, it felt like that most of the time and I mean 1980's driving, 280 to Holland Tunnel to Willy B Bridge and up the BQE maybe 4 exits,,, probably took twice that much most days but,, that's the way, back then.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
The thing about Howell is it is also on 195 so you aren't necessarily a slave to Rt 9. It might pay to get on 195, head east a few exits and then hop on the Garden State Parkway north. Might be a bit out of the way, but no stopping. Traffic on Rt 9 is awful, with bad traffic light coordination on top of that.
My husband commutes daily in to Staten Island from Jackson, and breezes down route 9, but this is also at 5-5:30 a.m. He's at work usually an hour early. Coming home, he takes the Garden State and gets off the Freehold exit. He's hit a little traffic coming home on Route 9, but nothing major. Guess it depends on the time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey