Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Drive to Wayne if you really want to shop that badly on a Sunday.
... or, if you want to shop really badly, drive to Woodbridge Center!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 03:51 PM

53 posts, read 37,272 times
Obviously it work for them, not for us. the problem is that shoppers go to the next county, retail stores in my area are always packed of people and traffic on Sundays.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
But what if someone works Monday through Saturday and just needs that day of excursion to the mall? What do they do?
They go to Willowbrook or Pal Center.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
That's why the new Dream Mall will open in East Rutherford and will be 7 days a week mall like the rest of NJ. I find it ridiculous that a mall closes on Sunday when it is one of the busiest day for mall. You go to any other malls in NJ, it is very busy and most workers will tell you that Sat-Sunday is always busiest.

So for Bergen to choose to close on Sunday basically keeps property taxes high as sales taxes drop big time on Sundays there, it means typically in a month they lose 4 days of high tax revenue days.

During the holiday shopping season I was over at Jersey Gardens mall on Sunday and it was a mad house there I'm sure all of the Bergen folks went elsewhere shopping. I actually wouldn't go to Paramus anyways since the traffic and parking situation is horrendous on any Saturday.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... or, if you want to shop really badly, drive to Woodbridge Center!
Or Roxbury Townsquare

Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 AM

332 posts, read 521,580 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/amer...-they-are.html

Sales per square foot at GSP just a tiny bit lower than Roosevelt Field.

On the other hand, blue laws have saved me a bunch of money as it takes a lot longer to make large purchases (furniture, new car) as I have much less time to shop.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This has been done to death on this forum, but I will give my take on it.

If the people of Bergen County want to keep their blue laws, let them.

Typically, I dont think the government should be telling businesses when they can operate, but in this case, these laws have been in place forever. Every business in Bergen County knew this when they decided to open, and they STILL decided to set up shop there, so they dont have the right to expect anything different now
OK, so this is illogical. You state a principle, which is eminently rational: "I don't think the government should be telling businesses when they can operate". So you got that right. It is absurd that we allow the government to close retail stores on ANY day, much less EVERY Sunday.

Then you are willing to trash the principle you agree with because "these laws have been in place forever". What the heck difference does that make? The laws are wrong, but you want to keep them because of the length of time they've been in place? That's patently absurd.

Then you double down. The businesses that set up shop "knew this when they decided to open, and they STILL decided to set up shop there, so they don't have the right to expect anything different now". Why the heck not? A law that is wrong is in place and CANNOT be changed because the businesses opened there agreed to knuckle under at the time in order to exist?

Blue laws amount to an illegal taking of private property. Forcing retail businesses to lose money to competitors, in a time when retail in general is under attack by Amazon and Google, which are open every Sunday in Paramus and everywhere else.

It's an atrocity that the typical American citizen living in New Jersey in 2018 has no problem with the State shutting down businesses every Sunday of the year. It's a confession of how little people truly value freedom and liberty that they put up with this.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:33 AM

88,510 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
They should stay closed on Sundays if they want to go to Heaven.
Haha, most people of that culture are gone, but way back when, the Dutch Reformed influence on that part of Bergen County ruled. There is a Midland Park Facebook page, (and Midland Park was the quintessential small Dutch town--there's still a windmill on the lawn of the municipal building) and someone mentioned that when their non-Dutch family moved in back in the 60s, a neighbor called the police on them for mowing their lawn on Sunday.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
someone mentioned that when their non-Dutch family moved in back in the 60s, a neighbor called the police on them for mowing their lawn on Sunday.
While I don't recall the town, I do remember when a newcomer to Bergen County received a summons for doing outside repair work on his own house, on a Sunday. This incident took place in the late '60s--IIRC.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 AM

88,510 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While I don't recall the town, I do remember when a newcomer to Bergen County received a summons for doing outside repair work on his own house, on a Sunday. This incident took place in the late '60s--IIRC.
I can remember being a kid and being shocked to see the guy down the street mowing his lawn on Sunday. He yelled at us kids playing in the street to stop making so much noise on Sunday BUT HE WAS MOWING HIS LAWN, which was far worse than kids playing. I told my father, and I remember him laughing when I did.

My dad belonged to the Reformed Church, but fortunately for us, he had some radical beliefs that his church didn't share, such as that maybe the six-day creation story was ancient poetry and the universe actually took longer to form. He was an engineer and a disabled WWII veteran (lost both lower legs) so he had a more realistic, practical outlook on life than some of his fellow churchmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey