U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 2,900,493 times

Advertisements

Loss of power during storms due to trees taking out power lines. Since they know this for some time now, why don’t they clear out all trees that could potentially take out the lines? I’d think this would be common sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 PM

24,122 posts, read 30,238,375 times
id guess its primarily cost and secondarily tree huggers.

you figure how expensive is it to cut branches but 1. that can sometimes be complicated and 2. everything cut down needs to be picked up and taken somewhere. so i think it is a much bigger job than people think.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 PM

2,995 posts, read 2,201,175 times
Cost of maintenance. If you think about all the power lines in your town, how often do you want them to go through? Once a year? That's probably about as often as they go through now, but a lot can happen to a tree in a year.

If you want them to be more proactive about it then they need to buy more trucks and pay more guys for full time jobs to do it. Which is going to be for by... you. So instead of paying eight guys for 40 hours a week for 52 weeks they do what they can with four guys all year and call in those other four guys for 24 hours of work in two days for the three storms we get a year.

But if you want companies to be more proactive about this, feel free to write a letter and cut a check so they know you're serious.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 PM

14,470 posts, read 17,342,531 times
I am assuming that the OP doesn't live in an area that is serviced by PSEG. I say that because in my part of Central NJ (served by PSEG), all of the trees that are near power lines have been "tortured" into incredibly unnatural shapes in order to keep any part of them from connecting with power lines in the event of a broken limb. Apparently, this strategy must work, because I have not lost my electrical service since the time of Hurricane Sandy.

The private tree surgery firms hired by PSEG to do this work in my area have been doing this--annually--ever since Hurricane Sandy, so obviously this very aggressive tree-trimming regimen has been going on for the past 6 years. If the OP lives in an area that is serviced by PSEG, then perhaps they use a different--less aggressive--tree surgery company in his/her area.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM

5,595 posts, read 2,900,493 times
^ I am PSE&G too but my comment is based more on what I hear on the local news about downed trees and power outages.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM

2,073 posts, read 3,959,160 times
Yup, PSEG definitely trims trees on the regular. Even before Irene & Sandy. Every time their tree trucks roll through a neighborhood it looks like an army of drunk Edward Scissorhandses went on a violent tree trimming spree.

Apparently JCPL also has a tree trimming regimen: https://firstenergycorp.com/content/...underway-.html

$34 million in 2017 to cut trees in all the below towns. But this is coming from FirstEnergy's PR department, so I don't know how much of that actually came to fruition. If you looked at the power outage stats for the last pair of Nor'easters, JCPL lapped the other energy providers in outages, particularly in Morris County. The big gripe about JCPL is that unlike PSEG, they are not local...based in Ohio...and the grumblings are that JCPL sends most of their money/resources to Ohio, and doesn't really care about NJ. Or, at least, they are slower to act in/for NJ.

I know people that lost power for nearly 2 weeks. I would drive down their roads at night to get out to the main drag, and those roads were pitch black at night for quite some time. Looked post apocalyptic.

Essex – Township of Livingston and Millburn Township
Hunterdon – Kingwood Township, Readington Township, Tewksbury Township and West Amwell Township
Mercer – Hopewell Township
Middlesex – Old Bridge Township and Sayreville Township
Monmouth – Asbury Park, Borough of Atlantic Highlands, Borough of Brielle, Borough of Deal, Eatontown Borough, Borough of Fair Haven, Borough of Freehold, Freehold Township, Borough of Little Silver, Manalapan Township, Borough of Manasquan, Middletown Township, Ocean Township, Borough of Rumson, Borough of Red Bank, Borough of Shrewsbury, Tinton Falls Township, Wall Township and Borough of West Long Branch
Morris – Borough of Chatham, Chatham Township, Borough of Chester, Chester Township, Denville Township, Town of Dover, Jefferson Township, Borough of Lincoln Park, Borough of Mendham, Mendham Township, Montville Township, Morris Township, Town of Morristown, Borough of Mountain Lakes, Parsippany Troy-Hills Township, Randolph Township and Borough of Wharton
Ocean – Berkeley Township, Brick Township, Borough of Island Heights, Lacey Township, Lakewood Township, Manchester Township, and Township of Toms River
Passaic – Borough of Pompton Lakes, Borough of Wanaque, Wayne Township and Borough of West Milford
Somerset – Bedminster Township, Bernards Township, Borough of Bernardsville and Borough of Peapack Gladstone
Sussex – Borough of Franklin, Hampton Township, Hardyston Township, Borough of Ogdensburg, Sparta Township, Vernon Township and Walpack Township
Union – Borough of Mountainside, Borough of New Providence and Springfield Township
Warren – Blairstown Township, Hackettstown, Hardwick Township, Hope Township, Independence Township, Knowlton Township, Oxford Township, Township of Phillipsburg and Washington Township

Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM

12,652 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I am assuming that the OP doesn't live in an area that is serviced by PSEG. I say that because in my part of Central NJ (served by PSEG), all of the trees that are near power lines have been "tortured" into incredibly unnatural shapes in order to keep any part of them from connecting with power lines in the event of a broken limb. Apparently, this strategy must work, because I have not lost my electrical service since the time of Hurricane Sandy.

The private tree surgery firms hired by PSEG to do this work in my area have been doing this--annually--ever since Hurricane Sandy, so obviously this very aggressive tree-trimming regimen has been going on for the past 6 years. If the OP lives in an area that is serviced by PSEG, then perhaps they use a different--less aggressive--tree surgery company in his/her area.
Haha same here. They just carve into the trees to avoid them hitting power lines. I don't see it too often but there's actually a tree like that on my street.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:57 PM

16,928 posts, read 11,813,804 times
go underground, leave the trees alone. maybe in the near future poles and wires will be a distant memory. Recall some tech breakthrough where individuals can generate their own power...not solar or wind. Solar and wind will be the equivalent of apricot pits and laetrile to cure cancer.

the future is upon us.

agree the problem is trees falling on wires......

Old 03-21-2018, 06:49 PM

235 posts, read 116,804 times
Cost is the sole factor. It's cheaper for the utility to trim on a five year schedule and replace infrastructure as needed. Our power comes off of the county road over a power company ROW that runs through twenty acres of private land to a pole on the lane that we share with our neighbor where it splits with one line going to his house and one going to ours. I spoke with the JCP&L Area Manager about trimming more aggressively in light of the fact that after the Friday, March 7th Nor'Easter they had to replace two poles as well as primaries. He basically told me that the trimming schedule is the trimming schedule and that whatever comes down will be replaced as needed.

We'd like to see them take the whole ROW down to the ground across the entire width, but at this point that would involve taking out about a 1/2 acre of mature trees, which would cost tens of thousands of dollars. Of course, as these types of storms increase in frequency, the calculus of the utility companies may change as they expend more time, labor, and material restoring damaged infrastructure over and over again.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 9,190,049 times
This isn't as easy as just cutting a few branches. I live near some woods and the power lines run along the edge of those woods. There are trees in there over 50-60 feet high. If you do the math, a tree 50 feet away from the power lines would knock down the wires if that tree toppled over (which they have). So you would have to completely cut down every tree within a 50 foot radius of the power lines. For many reason (mainly time and cost) this is never going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or