U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
 
9,021 posts, read 12,923,464 times
Reputation: 10412

Advertisements

OK, last time I posted this thread, I got nary a response.

But threads like "What's the best mall in NJ?" get dozens of responses.

C'mon people, make yourselves useful.

I'm looking for apartments in the (preferably) Middlesex County, (secondary) Union and maybe even throw in Somerset as a last resort with good thick walls and ceilings/floors.

The most important factor is that ... I cannot hear my neighbor doing everyday things like ...

1) Talking at normal volumes or slightly elevated volumes
2) Sneezing/snoring
3) Watching TV/movies
4) Walking

I do expect to be able to hear them if they're nailing things to the wall, playing electric guitars and having a party or screaming match.

So, can anybody give me some good apartments buildings where the noise levels were more reasonable?

Places that don't allow kids or pets would be even better, but I don't expect it.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2018, 02:01 PM
 
3,304 posts, read 2,795,025 times
Reputation: 2569
That may be because 90% of the people on here go to malls but only about 10% of the people on here rent apartments. And those that do rent realize that part of the deal with rentals is that you don't get places with thick walls or floors.

Not allowing pets is easy, not allowing children is difficult unless it's a senior community, but that's going to have other issues you might not be interested in.

The level of quiet you're looking to get is called a single family home or a very expensive property with very high rents.

So, what's your budget?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 02:27 PM
 
9,021 posts, read 12,923,464 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
That may be because 90% of the people on here go to malls but only about 10% of the people on here rent apartments. And those that do rent realize that part of the deal with rentals is that you don't get places with thick walls or floors.

Not allowing pets is easy, not allowing children is difficult unless it's a senior community, but that's going to have other issues you might not be interested in.

The level of quiet you're looking to get is called a single family home or a very expensive property with very high rents.

So, what's your budget?
$2500 for a 2 bedroom for now.

While your observation is somewhat true, some places are much better than others, and it would help me a lot if people could give some suggestions in this area.

I have had apartments where I can hear my neighbor cough and sneeze and I have had apartments where I have blasted my electric guitar at volume 6 (which is REALLY loud) and never had a complaint...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 PM
 
16,129 posts, read 19,439,379 times
Reputation: 20977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I have had apartments where I have blasted my electric guitar at volume 6 (which is REALLY loud) and never had a complaint...
Have you ever considered the possibility that you really were disturbing your neighbors, but--for whatever reason--they were reticent to file a complaint? The absence of complaints doesn't necessarily mean that you weren't one of the...noise offenders.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM
 
9,021 posts, read 12,923,464 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Have you ever considered the possibility that you really were disturbing your neighbors, but--for whatever reason--they were reticent to file a complaint? The absence of complaints doesn't necessarily mean that you weren't one of the...noise offenders.
No. Because I couldn't hear them either. And my sister lived in a similar building where she couldn't hear her neighbors, where the previous place she lived, she felt like they were living in the apartment with her.

I DO know places, but they are in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

So there is a difference. And just for the record, I don't play guitar amped up in my apartment ever anymore, but this thread isn't about that.

I know people like to debate here, but I am really, genuinely looking for recommendations for nice apartment buildings that are at least RELATIVELY well insulated sound-wise compared to ones where you can hear absolutely everything.

I'm looking to move and I will consider paying a higher cost.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by jobaba; 03-22-2018 at 12:01 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 AM
 
2,510 posts, read 1,694,301 times
Reputation: 4672
You want a concrete building. High-rises are concrete. Low-rises are usually wood construction.

If you can't find a concrete building, then you want to be on the top floor on the corner. In other words, have the least number of adjacent neighbors and have no one above you

I'll tell you where you don't want to live...anything built by Avalon. Lived in one of those last year for a few months. Heard everything. And I mean everything. They feel like they are made of popsicle sticks and bubble gum. The worst
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Jersey City, NJ
638 posts, read 2,033,276 times
Reputation: 429
I 2nd the high-rise idea. I live in an old high-rise built in the late 50s early 60s and it is solid concrete. I can occasionally here people in the hallway, but that is it. I have people above, below, and on both sides of me and hear nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 PM
 
9,021 posts, read 12,923,464 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
You want a concrete building. High-rises are concrete. Low-rises are usually wood construction.

If you can't find a concrete building, then you want to be on the top floor on the corner. In other words, have the least number of adjacent neighbors and have no one above you

I'll tell you where you don't want to live...anything built by Avalon. Lived in one of those last year for a few months. Heard everything. And I mean everything. They feel like they are made of popsicle sticks and bubble gum. The worst
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I 2nd the high-rise idea. I live in an old high-rise built in the late 50s early 60s and it is solid concrete. I can occasionally here people in the hallway, but that is it. I have people above, below, and on both sides of me and hear nothing.
Yes, I pretty much feel like that is the best solution too.

Do you guys have any in the area you'd recommend? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top