Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 959 times

Advertisements

Howdy;
I am moving with my family, 2+2, from CA bay area to work in Manhattan, both me and my wife got jobs there. Friends suggested that we should consider living in Montclair NJ and daily commute to Manhattan.

We plan to stay there for 3 years only and then get back to CA, so we where thinking that rental is our best option.

Here in the bay area, we are used to Zillow, sometimes craiglists, for finding a rental house.
However, they don't seem super useful for finding nice rental houses in this area of NJ? Should I be using some other websites to search for rental houses? Are there less rental opportunities in these areas?

Any advice is highly welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2020 at 02:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 02:36 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Craigslist isn’t used a lot in this area, especially not for houses in high-end towns. Also, there aren’t a lot of houses for rent in high-end towns. When people leave, they tend to sell.

Since you don’t know the area, your best bet might be to work with a realtor, although you would have to pay the fee (a month’s rent). It’s pretty common around here. Owners like to use realtors since the realtor handles background checks, etc., and it doesn’t cost the owner anything. Or consider living in an apartment for a year while you learn your way around.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:01 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
There are some on the NJMLS or GSMLS but you have to call FAST when you see one come up. Don't email, get the listing agent's number and call right away

Rental homes in nice towns go extremely fast.

Having a realtor isn't necessary since you can just call the listing agent on the rental. Depending on how often you are searching, sometimes you can do a better job for yourself

Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
You are probably more likely to find a condo or townhouse for rent than finding a single family home to rent.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:19 AM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
If you're looking at Montclair, you might be interested in checking out South Orange & Maplewood (they're neighboring towns joined at the hip). These towns are popular for families moving from NYC and such, so the market is more about selling than renting, so don't expect a lot of inventory.

You could also look at getting a short term rental at a place like Gaslight Commons in South Orange which offers short leasing terms while you look for a house to rent. We've known a few people that lived there for a few months while house hunting in the area. Real estate tends to be crazier in the spring, so people might be more interested in renting after Summer. (I don't know if there's an equivalent in Montclair.)

Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 AM

482 posts, read 728,478 times
Hard to find. They go fast since houses in Montclair go into bidding wars and taxes are high. Lots of potential home buyers on the sidelines that convince themselves to rent. Expand the net to South Orange Glen Ridge and Maplewood.

Be particular over places in walking distance to a train station.

If all else fails I second Gas Light Commons in South Orange. That was our fall back when we were house hunting since they have availability usually. You could get away with a three bedroom or two bedroom w office. There’s also a big rental complex attached to the Bay Street station in Montclair, however the few blocks surrounding it are a bit sketchy. There’s also a nice condo community by Glen Ridge train station called The Reserve. You may want to see if there are any condo owners/investors renting out units.

There’s also a new rental complex attached to Bloomfield train station. Which has a sub 30 min train. But the Bloomfield schools don’t compare. Not sure if your kids are school age

Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Hard to find. They go fast since houses in Montclair go into bidding wars and taxes are high. Lots of potential home buyers on the sidelines that convince themselves to rent. Expand the net to South Orange Glen Ridge and Maplewood.

Be particular over places in walking distance to a train station.

If all else fails I second Gas Light Commons in South Orange. That was our fall back when we were house hunting since they have availability usually. You could get away with a three bedroom or two bedroom w office. There’s also a big rental complex attached to the Bay Street station in Montclair, however the few blocks surrounding it are a bit sketchy.
They also have a nice pool. My mother-in-law lived there for a year before she bought a condo in Maplewood. If it manages to work out that you're there for the summer months you'll be winning. Most towns out here do have a pool, and South Orange's is actually quite affordable, but the pool at Gaslight is a lot less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey