Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 17,436 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of good things about HHK in terms of the schools/affluence/small town atmosphere, but curious to hear what people think the pros/cons of the town are. Husband and I are in our 30s and looking to have kids in the next 1-2 years. Moving from NYC but not too big on going out at night (we're brunch people) plus we have a lot of family in neighboring towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 06:51 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I like HHK a lot. (I don't live there, never have, just in the area)

They have a lovely K-8 elementary school just for the town. And then the kids go to Northern Highlands

I think it's a great location as well as long as you aren't too close to 17

If I was househunting in that area with young kids (or the possibility of young kids in the future), it would probably be my first pick

Old 03-30-2018, 07:00 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
I think I wish I could afford to live there. It’s a beautiful small town with a few nice local businesses and restaurants.

Cons? 99.9% of the population can’t afford to live there. The library has a lot of stairs leading up to its entrance. And Hocus Pocus would be an even cooler town name.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:11 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Nice town.

I grew up in Midland Park. Ho-Ho-Kus went to our high school for 20 years after Ridgewood gave them the boot. I was the last graduating class without HHK kids for 20 years.

MP people were not happy about it at t he beginning of the arrangement because there was a sense that these snooty rich kids would be coming in and look down on the rest of us. The then-called Bergen Record even did a story on it the first day of school entitled, "Blue blood meets blue collar".

It didn't turn out that way. The kids got along just fine.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:38 AM

19 posts, read 22,270 times
I live in HHK and it will be 7 years in June. I like it a lot. People seem pretty friendly even if it is just saying hello when someone is walking their dog or out for a walk. The town doesn't have as much as Ridgewood but I kind of like that. It has a few restaurants plus it has the basics I need (library, post office, barber, dry cleaning, deli etc). I'm closer to the downtown of Ridgewood than some people who live in Ridgewood so can go there for a supermarket or movie.

I came from Brooklyn and met my wife when she lived on the UES so having a walkable downtown and sidewalks were very important to us. We both drive to work but use the mass transit options (more train than bus) often enough to go to the city, Prudential Center etc. I've never had a hard time getting a parking spot at the train station in the afternoon if I'm going somewhere but I usually just walk there.

My son will start Kindergarten in September and from what interactions we have had with the school, they have all been very positive. I don't know how competitive people are but having the 1 school will hopefully mitigate that. We looked at a lot of houses in Glen Rock, Ridgewood as well (both great towns) but the real estate agents always seemed to hype 1 area or school over the others so don't know if that is the mindset of some people.

Any thing else I can answer, please don't hesitate!
Good luck!

Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 AM

220 posts, read 379,214 times
How’s the noise from the train? Does the train horn at the road crossing make living in close proximity to the tracks difficult?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:06 PM

69 posts, read 93,705 times
HoHoKus is a nice town and has a lot going for it. I don't live there but have friends and family that do. School system is highly rated, they have a nice downtown area (not Ridgewood but nice), convenient transportation options. The nice thing about Bergen County in general is that you have access to great restaurants, transportation, shopping etc and it doesn't necessarily need to be in your town. I live in River Edge where there is no downtown or many restaurants but I can go for brunch at Raymonds or lunch at the Steel Wheel Tavern in Ridgewood or head to Bergen PAC for a show and not spend that much time getting there. If you are not from the area I would spend some time on a weekend and explore the different areas and see what works for you. Obviously the vibe will be much different Saturday vs Sunday with the local Blue Laws.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey