Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 AM

280 posts, read 339,076 times

Advertisements

I think you should look west of Morristown, like Stanhope, Succasunna, Hackettstown area. You also might like the Hampton, Glen Gardner, Washington (07882) area. There are options for you - they will have a bit of a drive - but they are nice areas out of the craziness of central/north NJ so you might actually enjoy it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM

232 posts, read 278,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
I think you should look west of Morristown, like Stanhope, Succasunna, Hackettstown area. You also might like the Hampton, Glen Gardner, Washington (07882) area. There are options for you - they will have a bit of a drive - but they are nice areas out of the craziness of central/north NJ so you might actually enjoy it better.
Train go from hackettstown to Morristown limited schedule but still

Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 PM

60 posts, read 104,548 times
Until your wife finds a job, definitely look to rent, as that will factor into things, and also give you time to get to know towns. With her field of higher education, the most likely places she could find a job are probably Rutgers-New Brunswick/Piscataway, Seton Hall (South Orange), FDU (Madison and also Teaneck), Rutgers Newark, NJIT (Newark), Stevens Tech (Hoboken), Kean (Union), and Montclair State. There are also community colleges and some other smaller colleges in North Jersey. Near Morristown, both Centenary (Hackettstown) and Drew University (Madison) have had some struggles with enrollment in recent years. And depending on what field you are in, being able to commute to NYC/Newark/Jersey City could be something to think about for down the road.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:49 AM

15 posts, read 25,334 times
The job in Morristown is less about future career growth, and more about getting away from a dead-end boring job in Plattsburgh. I also want to get the hell out of Plattsburgh; it's a very depressing place (all of northern NY is), and the winter is far too long. Sure the cost of living in NJ is significantly higher, but you also "get more" for your money.

West of Morristown was my initial thought, especially if avoiding 287 is a good idea. Would the traffic still be bad, since you are driving towards NYC like everyone else?

My wife also was considering Princeton, which could weigh in to a west vs south of Morristown decision.

For the work required on a house, I should have clarified better. I have no problem purchasing a house that needs some work, and I'm fairly handy. I just don't want a fix-er-upper that needs significant remodeling. Mainly because I don't expect to have enough free time to work on it constantly. Quite honestly I don't know what we could afford. My wife and I would have a pretax combined income of about $145,000.

Thank you all for the help so far, the information has been very helpful.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
The job in Morristown is less about future career growth, and more about getting away from a dead-end boring job in Plattsburgh. I also want to get the hell out of Plattsburgh; it's a very depressing place (all of northern NY is), and the winter is far too long. Sure the cost of living in NJ is significantly higher, but you also "get more" for your money.

West of Morristown was my initial thought, especially if avoiding 287 is a good idea. Would the traffic still be bad, since you are driving towards NYC like everyone else?

My wife also was considering Princeton, which could weigh in to a west vs south of Morristown decision.

For the work required on a house, I should have clarified better. I have no problem purchasing a house that needs some work, and I'm fairly handy. I just don't want a fix-er-upper that needs significant remodeling. Mainly because I don't expect to have enough free time to work on it constantly. Quite honestly I don't know what we could afford. My wife and I would have a pretax combined income of about $145,000.

Thank you all for the help so far, the information has been very helpful.
287 north of Morristown is not bad traffic wise. I believe south is a different story. Route 80 West of Parsippany is notoriously bad traffic wise. I believe there would be some alternative routes depending on where exactly you end up.

You could also look into the Butler/Bloomingdale area if your wife ends up working somewhere north of Morristown.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:04 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
I've commuted to Morristown from Warren County for the past 22 years. For 10 years I did it from Independence Twp. (just west of Hackettstown) and for the last 12 years from Oxford. It was far worse from Independence driving Route 80E and 287S then it is from Oxford driving Route 78E and 287N.

The time you commute is key as well. I leave my house just after 6:00 in the morning and get out of work at 3:30. Most of the time it takes me 50 minutes (the drive is about 47 miles). Of course, if there is an accident or it's the sun glare time of the year. Honestly, the longest part (time wise) of my commute is Route 31 getting to and from Route 78.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:00 AM

15 posts, read 25,334 times
We've narrowed down our search, and have really been focusing on Hopatcong, Dover, Rockway, Wharton, and Mine Hill. The homes seem to be very reasonably priced, they're very close to Morristown, and the proximity to the state park and lake seem like a big perk. Is there some reason to avoid this area?

Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
We've narrowed down our search, and have really been focusing on Hopatcong, Dover, Rockway, Wharton, and Mine Hill. The homes seem to be very reasonably priced, they're very close to Morristown, and the proximity to the state park and lake seem like a big perk. Is there some reason to avoid this area?
No, this area is great for what you need. I would remove Dover from your list and keep the rest. Maybe add Succasunna.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
Train go from hackettstown to Morristown limited schedule but still
No one commutes by train in that area. You would drive. It's much faster and more convenient.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:41 PM

862 posts, read 975,482 times
Just forget Dover, unless you are from central America. Morristown is a great town to work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey