Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM

36 posts, read 143,821 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking at a house, which meets our requirements but has an underground oil tank. I have been advised by friends to stay away from such houses. I would appreciate your point of view? How much would it cost to change the heating to natural gas?
Thanks,

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,588,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishu View Post
Hi,
I am looking at a house, which meets our requirements but has an underground oil tank. I have been advised by friends to stay away from such houses. I would appreciate your point of view? How much would it cost to change the heating to natural gas?
Thanks,

K
I think they mean because there is a tank in the ground. The sellers should have this removed and replaced with an above ground tank. Converting the system can be expensive - depends on whether you have forced air, hot water baseboard, etc. But if you like the house, have you lawyer tell their lawyer to remove and replace the oil tank. They should have done this before they listed!!! No one ever listens : ))

Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM

36 posts, read 143,821 times
how long does it normally take to remove the tank from the ground?
I was told by my realtor that it involves state permits that might take a long time and delay the closing significantly

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM

19 posts, read 53,961 times
My tank is in ground and I should have converted a few years back. Some quick estimates I've been given was 5-6k give or take.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM

19 posts, read 53,961 times
PS If u like the house above all others, buy it and factor the price of converting into your offer. The market is so poor that most sellers know they have to be flexible. My listing just expired last week and I am officially looking to rent my home because after almost a year, I just need to move on and wait the market out. You are definitely in a position to negotiate.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,358,576 times
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,

K
Tell them you'll consider it, but they need to have it removed . If it has a hole, don't buy the house.
If your considering buying it, I would check to see if anyone will insure it, when its still in the ground.
Its about $1500 to take tank up and also the cost of a new above ground tank. I bought the top of the line on that, with a $1 million dollar unbrella policy on it. I think I paid $1200 for it. It looks like a small shed rather than a oil tank. It's called a Roth.Overview Double Wall Fuel Oil Safety Tank-the safest oil tank with a 1 million dollar clean-up policy-Roth Industries

Diane G

Old 03-27-2008, 05:41 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,844,032 times
What type of heat does the house currently have?

I don't think it costs that much to remove and I think a permit could be had in a week or so (?)

Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
how long does it normally take to remove the tank from the ground?
I was told by my realtor that it involves state permits that might take a long time and delay the closing significantly
Your realtor is an "ass". Sorry, but he/she is way off and I don't like the fact that it appears that they are trying to intimidate you into pushing ahead with the sale because this will delay the closing! Depending on the Township - not State!, it typically only takes a week at most for the permits and the removal and install is a one day project!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Tell them you'll consider it, but they need to have it removed . If it has a hole, don't buy the house.
If your considering buying it, I would check to see if anyone will insure it, when its still in the ground.
Its about $1500 to take tank up and also the cost of a new above ground tank. I bought the top of the line on that, with a $1 million dollar unbrella policy on it. I think I paid $1200 for it. It looks like a small shed rather than a oil tank. It's called a Roth.Overview Double Wall Fuel Oil Safety Tank-the safest oil tank with a 1 million dollar clean-up policy-Roth Industries

Diane G
The Roth tank is nice but they have been having issues with them lately... I would either go with a Roth or the new polycoated Granby Steel Tank - I think the warrantee is 20 yrs. vs. Roth's 10 yr. Important things to consider are - inside or outside for the new tank? I would try to have it installed inside if possible... basement, garage, etc. It will add to the life of the tank.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,448 times
Default Oil Heat

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,

K
I don't think you need to stay away from a property with a tank, but be sure to do your proper due-diligence and some preliminary research before you commit to buy it. First, you need to find out some additional information: 1) How old is the tank? 2) Has there been a number of tanks removed in this neighborhood and if so, how many have leaked and how bad was the leak? You can start by making a phone call to the building inspector at the township or better yet; go to their office and ask them the information related to #2 above. The should be able to answer the question based on permits filed for tank removal, their observations of the tank conditions at the time of the removal and any follow up permits submitted related to any significant remedial projects in that neaighborhood. You can also search the NJDEP Site Remediation website to see if there are a number of cases in that neighborhood. As a quick and rather inexpensive indicator, the best option is to have a qualified environmental consultant complete soil borings around/under the existing tank to determine if there is evidence of any discharge from the tank. Costs for such an investigation would range from about $400 to $600. To remove the tank & replace it with an aboveground tank would range from about $2,000 to $3,500 depending on site accessibility and other site-specific conditions, but its still cheaper than converting to gas. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey