Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 44,600 times

Advertisements

Just got a new job in Woodcliff Lake, NJ and I am 27 years young.

I am looking to move to an area which is a close/easy drive to Woodcliff Lake, but also in walking distance to bars and restuarants, a nice gym close by, and maybe a train to take me to Hoboken/NYC.
First year I will rent and would like to pay under $1800/month.
Attached Garage big plus!

So far the places I like the best are Westwood and Ridgewood.
Does anyone know any PROs / CONs of each?
Any good places I should check out in those towns?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,858,634 times
what do you want with the garage to store something, or to work on something?

I think the "Pascack valley" train line isn't that great for getting into and out of Hoboken on off hours.

I don't think many apartments will have garages though.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:42 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Star View Post
Just got a new job in Woodcliff Lake, NJ and I am 27 years young.

I am looking to move to an area which is a close/easy drive to Woodcliff Lake, but also in walking distance to bars and restuarants, a nice gym close by, and maybe a train to take me to Hoboken/NYC.
First year I will rent and would like to pay under $1800/month.
Attached Garage big plus!

So far the places I like the best are Westwood and Ridgewood.
Does anyone know any PROs / CONs of each?
Any good places I should check out in those towns?

Thanks so much!
For bars/restaurants/train - RIdgewood, hands down. But Westwood is less expensive so you'll probably get bigger/better place in Weswood. I'd say, stay in Westwood and come to Ridgewood for entertainment (it's only 10 min drive)

Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
Ridgewood has better connection to Hoboken/NYC and a great downtown. I say go with Ridgewood and give up the garage!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM

328 posts, read 1,197,101 times
Ridgewood is very expensive. I'd recommend Park Ridge as it's a nice town and much more affordable.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM

714 posts, read 721,686 times
You're more likely to find an affordable apartment in Westwood than Ridgewood, and Ridgewood, as another poster said, is 10-15 minutes away. The Pascack Valley line recently added off-hours service because of sidings added along the line (there is only one track). There is also a bus that goes into NYC. Westwood has a number of restaurants -- The Iron Horse and P.J. Finnegans for pub food, It's Greek to Me, Granita Grille, the new Mountain House for thin crust pizza -- and there's even a tearoom. Westwood has also indicated a commitment to get town functions off the power grid within 10 years, which MIGHT help keep taxes (and as a result, rents) down.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Westwood has a number of restaurants -- The Iron Horse and P.J. Finnegans for pub food, It's Greek to Me, Granita Grille, the new Mountain House for thin crust pizza -- and there's even a tearoom
Isn't "It's Greek to Me" in Cliffside Park?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM

714 posts, read 721,686 times
Yes, there's one in Cliffside Park. And one in Ridgewood. And one in Westwood. And one in Fort Lee.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help so far.

The garage is so I never have to go out into the snow, covered parking would be better than nothing if I cannot find a garage.

I will go check out Ridgewood tonight. I really like the idea of not walking home from a bar instead of driving, so somewhere in walking distance to a bar would be great. But I do not need to be in walking distance to 20 bars, just 1 or 2 that I like.

How is Park Ridge for walkable downtown bars? That seems to be very close to Woodcliff Lake.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM

BTW, Ridgewood apartments seem to be the same price of the place I would rent in Westwood.
If price is equal, then which place is best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey