Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 PM

30 posts, read 167,318 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Hudson county in NJ and am planning to move to Hoboken as I have researched and found some good daycares in that area. Moreover I work in downtown financial district so it will be quite convenient to me by path.

Am I right in my decision? My main consideration at this time is to have nice infant daycare in vicinity.

Please advise some nice decent areas in Hoboken for a rental apartment. My budget is around 2000 dollars.

Thanks for all the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince33c View Post
Hi, I currently live in Hudson county in NJ and am planning to move to Hoboken as I have researched and found some good daycares in that area. Moreover I work in downtown financial district so it will be quite convenient to me by path.

Am I right in my decision? My main consideration at this time is to have nice infant daycare in vicinity.

Please advise some nice decent areas in Hoboken for a rental apartment. My budget is around 2000 dollars.

Thanks for all the help!!
Anything except Jackson and Marshall will be just fine.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 PM

393 posts, read 1,083,085 times
Default Hoboken NJ

Hi
This is one of my favorite towns.
Parking, if you own a vehicle is awful, be prepared to pay for parking deck, or, circle the block several times.
Area near Steven's Institute was nice in the late 90's, my favorite restaurant,
East LA. Town can be rowdy on Fri, Sat, nites, with all the college students
seeking alcohol. Plenty of bars, music venues.

Good Luck

Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Thanks...

Hi, Thanks so much for the replies. I actually don't have much idea about Hoboken and am planning to go around the area this weekend and see it for myself!!

I will definitely check out the area around Steven's Institute. I browsed a couple of website for rentals and a lot of them are on the Bloomfield st., Jefferson st. in the range around $2k for a 1 bed 1 bath apartment.

Anything you may know in specific about the above streets?? Will they be close to the path train and the area in general.

Thanks & have a nice day!!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,919,848 times
Quote:
Hi, Thanks so much for the replies. I actually don't have much idea about Hoboken and am planning to go around the area this weekend and see it for myself!!

I will definitely check out the area around Steven's Institute. I browsed a couple of website for rentals and a lot of them are on the Bloomfield st., Jefferson st. in the range around $2k for a 1 bed 1 bath apartment.

Anything you may know in specific about the above streets?? Will they be close to the path train and the area in general.

Thanks & have a nice day!!
I lived in Hoboken for 10 years and honestly, it's not the best place to raise kids, IMO. Sounds like your child is an infant, so you should be OK for now. Schools are pretty bad. Although they do have a free Pre-K, which is good, as far as Pre-k's go.

Before you move, make sure that daycares that you found actually have space available. It's a huge problem in Hoboken, most have waiting lists for over a year. They just opened a new daycare in Hoboken, so that might've alleviated the problem.

As far as proximity to PATH, Bloomfield is one block west of Washington (main st in Hob). Bloomfield is close to PATH, as long as you stay below 10th street or so. Jefferson is further west (about 6 blocks from Washington). If you end up on Jefferson, stay below 5th Street, to have a short walk to the PATH.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,113,534 times
I second what Ira said.

I'm currently living in Hoboken right now and am thinking of moving out 'cus the school district just plain s*k! Hoboken spend the most $$ per child for a public education and the results just doesn't justify that amount. Our schools consistently put more emphasis on sports than grades. Great to know your property tax $$ is well spent, not!

Many people come into Hoboken for the proxmity to NYC, restaurants and nightlife, not for the family-friendly atmosphere. Most get marry and leave the town after the child reaches grade school age. This way they don't have to worry about their kids going to school with the kids living in the projects or subsidized housing.

Things to consider:
1. parking situation is terrible, wait list is long for the municipal parking, expect to pay near $300 per month for parking at private garages

2. daycare - make sure you get into one before you move, the wait list is pretty long

3. the ferry stops are uptown and downtown so try to find something north or south on Bloomfield, Washington and Hudson streets. Those are the 3 best streets, IMO.

4. Check out Jersey City too if Hoboken is too expensive.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks so much for all this information. We would be expecting our first child in first week of June..so we have a couple of more months to go and I won't be requiring any daycare till about December timeframe. So I was thinking of planning where to stay when we need a daycare.

As per the information you have provided, it seems that the waitlist for the daycares is too long!! Can I go now and book something for my child? Is that possible..meaning even before the child is born?

Would you have any idea about the money that I would be required to pay for a full day daycare program?

Thanks so much!!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,919,848 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all this information. We would be expecting our first child in first week of June..so we have a couple of more months to go and I won't be requiring any daycare till about December timeframe. So I was thinking of planning where to stay when we need a daycare.

As per the information you have provided, it seems that the waitlist for the daycares is too long!! Can I go now and book something for my child? Is that possible..meaning even before the child is born?

Would you have any idea about the money that I would be required to pay for a full day daycare program?

Thanks so much!!
If you're seriously thinking of moving to Hoboken, join a Yahoo group called "hoboken moms". It's a very active group and extremely helpful especially to someone who's new to Hoboken. They discuss everything from real estate to daycares.

I moved out of Hoboken over a year ago, so I am not really up-to-date on most things.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,113,534 times
Check out this link for daycare reviews.

Hoboken Education - Schools, Day Care, College

Many parents book before the baby is even born so YES, definitely do that!

Expect to pay upwards of $1200 for daycare OR a better option is to share nannies with other moms. It may be more affordable.

I don't have children but cringe at the thought of how $$ it will be for daycare. Those centers are also quite snotty from what I hear. They have such long waiting lists that they can afford to p*ss off potential clients.

Last edited by kimchee; 03-27-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 28,456 times
If you're set on Hoboken, you can't really go wrong with location. The whole town is only a square mile and there is only one small block around the projects that is not the most pleasant. Parking, schools and daycare are the biggest issues. Jersey City is slightly cheaper and just as convenient to Manhattan. The parking is much better, but you'll have a similar problem with daycare waiting lists. Start now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey