U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 513 times

Advertisements

i need some advice for my project due next month. i have to do research on a topic of choice, and i chose furries, because no one in my class knows what they are. can someone please give me some public speaking tips? thanks, kade.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:52 AM

69 posts, read 74,398 times
Understand your topic frontwards and backwards so if you get off topic you won't panic. Once you know your material just practice, practice, practice. It is never as scary as you think it will be but if you are prepared it makes everything easier. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:07 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,435,319 times
Is it a class on public speaking, perchance?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,082,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosplayKade View Post
i need some advice for my project due next month. i have to do research on a topic of choice, and i chose furries, because no one in my class knows what they are. can someone please give me some public speaking tips? thanks, kade.

https://www.toastmasters.org/

Great org to learn and practice public speaking from.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM

21,290 posts, read 15,102,465 times
Quote:
You are nervous because you are making it about you.

You need to focus on the needs of your audience.

You have a great opportunity to provide new, useful, entertaining information that will enrich your audience. You are giving them a gift. when you give a gift it is about the recipient, not you!

You have a topic that interests you and are an expert on that subject. there can be no better situation to be in when speaking to an audience. You are not giving a speech, you are providing knowledge and information.

Learn more than what you intend to talk to boost your confidence level. Follow obscure threads on your subject to create a buffer zone of extraneous knowledge you may or may not reference. The broader your perspective the better your presentation and fielding any questions with confidence.

Begin with the thought...... "I want to tell you this....." to easily define the intent of what you want to convey.

The more spontaneous you can be the better you will appear. If you try to remember words or phrases, you will worry yourself to death trying to remember what you want to say.

Practice by telling a friend about your topic. No pressure there, you will be having a relaxed conversation that you can now use with your audience.

public speaking is one of the most common fears. Relax! the audience is rooting for you. they want you to be successful. Images or other visual aids would help bring your topic alive.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM

807 posts, read 949,507 times
Focus on what you are saying, not the audience. Smile. Use emotions. Don't be boring or monotone. Feel passion for your subject. If you don't feel it, the audience won't either.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM

880 posts, read 1,161,690 times
LOL, no one caught that...

Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,692,038 times
Quote:

Write out what you want to say for each slide. Do a practice run all the way through no matter how much you trip over your words. Then go back and revise what you want to say. Usually after my first practice I say to myself that's not how I typically speak so I rephrase a few things. Then, I do another run. Maybe tweak a few more words. Then, I do another run more to practice pausing, being comfortable standing, managing my tempo. If possible, go to the space once before the presentation and do a dry run. Be prepared for the flood of adrenaline. It's normal. I always have my opening memorized so that I flow easily into my next comments. It's ok to lose your train of thought. Pause, and then look at your notes and pick up where you stopped. Everything you think you're doing wrong nobody else is noticing. The more prepared you are (which comes from doing dry runs. I do them to my friends) the less anxious you will be.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM

451 posts, read 274,895 times
If you wear a fursuit, people will be distracted by it and will hardly listen to what you are saying so no public speaking skills are required.

You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey